An interesting "paranormal" experience, that was actually "normal"

by AlmostAtheist 22 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Update: I saw it again last night. The punching bag was moving, the light on the bag was moving, and the few spots of light on the wall were not moving.

Hmmm....

So I started concentrating on the distance between the punching bag and the spots of light on the wall. Despite the perception of the bag swaying, the bag never got closer to/further from the spots. The weirdest part is that my brain was able to accept all of it, despite the contradiction.

As a test, I reached out and touched the bag. I also put my hand very close without touching it. Both tests confirmed that the bag was not moving.

And lastly, I actually got the bag swaying so I could compare it truly moving to my perception of motion. They were very different. Most notably, the bag moved, but the light on it remained still.

I think the illusion comes from the fact that little else is lit but the bag. There isn't anything to use as a reference to establish that it's still. Just guessing, of course.

This sort of illusion wouldn't explain every paranormal experience, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it was the basis for many of them.

Dave

• Kaput
    Kaput
    The punching bag was moving, the light on the bag was moving, and the few spots of light on the wall were not moving.

All frame of reference, Dave. Actually the house was moving while the bag & the light on the bag were stationary.

I really like these brain teasers.

• gumby
    gumby

Maybe Joe Louis is using your bag and practicin for Ali when he gets to the "other side" and they go at it. Betcha never thought of that.....did ya now?

Gumby

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

AA, you really need to go get an eye exam!!! And stay away from that bag until you do...

Swalker

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

cool dave!

me? no supernatural experiences here. not even any that i may have misunderstood for supernatural. oh well. i always just assumed that since they happened to other people that they must be true. but honestly, listening to other people talk about their precious supernatural experiences is like listening to a used car salesman. they have their motives...whether they can admit them freely or not...

TS

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> they have their motives...whether they can admit them freely or not...

Maybe this is something that's obvious to everyone else, but it seems that there are two schools of thought on things like this. Some people assume that things are true, until someone proves them false. Others take that things are false until they are proven true. The definition of "proof" might vary from one person to another, and from one claim to another. But in the end there is that line of absolute proof, with the "believers" on one side and the "skeptics" on the other. They will of course NEVER meet, since there is no absolute truth, one way or the other.

Never argue religion or politics... or ghosts. :-)

Dave

• Dune
    Dune

Stand to the side of a light source, position yourself in front of a mirror. Raise your hand and move it back and forth in relation to your body. If you look in the mirror, The shadow that is made behind you makes it seem like teh shadow has a life of its own...weird.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

I had full blown (nasty) audio and visual hallucinations for a day in the hospital bed detoxing hard from alcohol.

Never has happened before or since.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

the ouija board. no one can tell me it is my own mind moving that dial. definitely proves to me there is a spirit realm.

• marsh
    marsh

Hi,

Age around 12,I awoke and saw a figure of a man with a long white gown on and he had a beard and long hair,a sort of Jesus looking figure.I was so scared I could not yell out.Nothing happened ,no-one spoke.I was sharing a bed with an Aunt so I snuggled up to her kept my eyes shut then told myself it would be go.When I opened my eyes again it was still there.I then fell asleep.Next day I told my Mum but she told me I was dreaming....

Years later one of my brothers worked away from home (We were all RC) he went with someone to a spiritualist church and this shook him up.He came home and when he did he said that he had something to tell me but only when my parents had gone to bed.Then he produced a glass,and yes/no cards,I did not have a clue what he was doing,then he began to ask if there was anyone there and so on,By this time I started to laugh thinking this was a game,he then got annoyed with me,then I saw the glass move on it's own,I didn;t know what to think.

This went on for a few times over a few days the cards spelled out LIVE.then this was re-arranged to EVIL.at this point I ran to the Presbytary to tell the RC Priest.He then came to the house and sprinkled Holy Water all around and prayed.As a Family we also prayed,Mother had us on our knees saying the rosary.a glass of water was spilled onto the rug and my Mother said she saw the shape of the devil.( I didn't) so she took the rug outside and threw it in the coal shed.The whole experience was scary.

My daughter -in-law was asleep and was woken up by a tug on the hair,she looked over at her Baby and he had got himself tangled up with blankets over his face.At the time she was thinking about her Gran.

A JW sister was woken up in the middle of the night,her piano downstairs was playing she said,this happened several times then The Piano was taken outside into the garden and chopped up.

Here is a site to look at and I have met Vince, I have also met ex witches at a convention

www.spotlightministries.org.uk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit