Elder-speak....How do they manipulate us?

by jgnat 44 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

How could I forget? Hubby gets that all the time, "We miss your wife," translation, "Why haven't you got her converted yet?"

Here's a deal-breaker, "Do you still believe that the Faithful and Discreet Slave is Jehovah's representative here on earth in our day?"

• Cellist
    Cellist

Jgnat,

For those of us who are faders, that's one that we need to avoid answering.

Cellist

• Honesty
    Honesty

"We understand that sometimes it's difficult to express ourselves when we have been accused of committing a sin. Is there anything we can do to help you express your feelings about how this all started"?

"If this is not Jehovah's organisation then how do you explain the growth"?

"Where else can you go"?

• calico
    calico

This remark was directed at me after not attending meetings for awhile: "It's so nice to see you here as a family." I guess if I am not attending meetings that we are no longer a family! If my family is blown apart it is because of my hypocrit husband who looks so good when he is at the meetings!

• Dune
    Dune

The elders in my hall start their interrogations with a question. It seems that they always had to answer with a question. I stopped asking them for advice very early.

• marsh
    marsh

Hi,

When I began questioning the teachings of the WT,when I was sent so-called 'apostate' info I wrote to Bethal.I wanted answers....They never replied but sent elders around,so I showed them what I had.I asked one of the Elders "When do you say Jesus came?" he said 1914.I then showed then info about Russell.One of the Elders was loving and kind,the other one strict a bit like police tactics."we love you" and "Our kids grew up together" and " Put it all in the bin" and so on.I even let them pray for me then because they convinced me all 'apostates' were nasty had an axe to grind,and I was confused.I was to be shown mercy.

Later I received some videos ,Ray Franz was on one.Lorri Mac on another,and more info (no computer then).so again I showed Elders.brothers/sisters.The strict elder who called on me before rang me up.He told me he didn't believe everything in the WT either,but where else would you find such loving,clean people to be with.I also heard even if there is nothing at the end of it all this is where we prefer to be.I never joined for that reason,I did not want a kind of 'social club' I joined because I thought I had 'the truth',I said "If only one person has the truth in a tin shed somewhere then this is where I would want to be".

Because I started to ask questions and talking to JWS about it all I received a phone call from a sister who in disgust gave me some 'apostate' scriptures to read.I felt petrified.My mind a muddle.More visits from JWS,and this Elder knew everything,all the things I was finding out he knew,and he agreed with me on some of it.I loved this Brother and his wife.But I could see he was agitated over my questions especialy my Qs on blood as he was a hospital Lliason Elder.I showed him a WT victims memorial tract.I asked him why it was that the Law on blood was given to the Jews yet they did not have aproblem with blood transfusions...Why? His reply was that he didn't know but they argue with God.(BTW I have refused blood ).Orthodox Jews take blood transfusions.Christianised Jews do.

After some time and more research I began to throw away my WT books and Bible I told a sister,she sent me a JB Phillips (paraphrased) NT in modern English for schools,sort of said in disgust 'well read that'.Inside 'Apostate' scriptures were underlined to scare me such as 2 Tim 3 10-14.and 2Tim 2 Hymenaus and Philetus and cancer.2 Tim 1 20-21.2 thess: 15,2 John 10-11,1 John 18-19,1 John 17-18,2 Peter 2 and more.

I WAS PETRIFIED, did not want to be 'apostate' with no hope,no nothing,I prayed about all of it and decided to read this JB Phillips Bible NT.and blessings and Grace were showered on me for this is the one that showed me that helped me the most.

Don't be afraid of the WT it is a man made religion/cult they are just men wielding power and influence over people's lives.

• marsh
    marsh

Forgot to say ,the church where i now worship used to be a mission an old tin hut ,until it was modernised.

• Curious Christian
    Curious Christian

When you get your glossary completed, PLEASE send me a copy of it!! [email protected]

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Here's a classic quote the congregation received by a CO after the PO had written a letter to all male members of the congregation which caused a lot of stumbling.

"Can you take your stumbling blocks and turn them into stepping stones?"

A lot of people swallowed it,this guy was very sly and a lot of people wanted the damage this PO had done to just go away.I then came to find out that there is no such thing as being stumbled in the "truth".An elder gave a talk a short time later and threw this gem at us:"If you're stumbled maybe it's because you want to be stumbled,maybe you're looking for an excuse to slow down." It didn't sound quite the same as Jesus had explained it.

Goldminer

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Goldminer, It is amazing how these phrases travel the world . I have heard them here too.

My elderspeak one-liner would be "Is there anything that you feel that you ought to be telling us"?, or "Why not be like Moses and accept the situation for now, who knows what Jehovah has in store for you?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit