Who Skypes here?

by AuldSoul 19 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Skype is great for long distance calls. You can lease an inbound phone number for about $4 per month (it's 10 Euros for three months), and anyone with a normal telephone can call that number like a normal line. I have a Seattle number, so my friends and family in Seattle can call me in Japan for free to them. Inbound calls to me are covered by the $4 a month. Outbound calls worldwide (to standard phone lines) are about 2 cents per minute, although a few developing nations cost more.

The only downside is that it drops calls now and then, so for business, it's still not quite there. But for keeping in touch, it's great. My total international phone bill is around $10 a month.

SNG

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I use Yahoo. The quality is near as good as a phone.

• Frog
    Frog

don't know why I've been putting off getting myself skypes savvy?? I try not to think about what my LD & International phonecalls must add up to over the space of a year...

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Yes. Love it!

Kwin

• Jourles
    Jourles

Handle: UNWIRE (After Intel's new Centrino ads came out, it brought in a lot of queries of people asking me to sell the handle -- the link they used was http://www.intel.com/unwire)

...but the problem is now, I can't use it from work. My company blocks the application from running on our laptops(damn domain controllers!) plus they block Skype traffic from coming in and going out. I can only use it from home or on my personal laptop/pda.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I haven't tried it as I have heard that it isn't that great on dial up.

Google talk is pretty good though and if I want video chat I use Google Talk with Eyeball Chat the sound muted for the video.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

GoogleTalk, etc are all great programs, but does anyone know of another program that can be used to send and receive calls to standard telephone networks? Skype is really the only usable option I've seen so far. I understand that Microsoft is working on an update to its messenger client that will allow this soon. Anyone know of anything else?

SNG

• Carmel
    Carmel

you betcha.. saves a bundle!

carmel

• one
  • seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Oops, yeah, I forgot to mention those guys. Here's my problem with Vonage. They seem to have a good product, but when I'm traveling, I want a softphone, not a piece of hardware that I must connect directly to a hardwired internet connection. Vonage has a softphone, but only as an add-on that costs above and beyond their normal product. They won't sell you just the softphone, and I'm just not willing to pay as much as they want when Skype gives me exactly what I need for a third the price (or less).

Packet8 looked decent, but I couldn't find any mention of a softphone package on their site.

I guess I'm a-holding out for Microsoft's product.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit