The Rapture of the Nerds

by Gollum 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gollum
    Gollum

I recently read Kurzweil’s new book “The Singularity is Near.”

This book proposes that by about 2045 the Singularity will occur. What is the Singularity, you ask?

Well bucko, it’s the concept that by about that time various technologies will have reached the knee of the exponential growth curve and start changing life so drastically that it’s almost impossible to envision. Things like vastly enhanced IQ’s, virtual immortality, dogs living in sin with cats, etc, etc.

While at first blush it seems pretty unlikely, he lays out a compelling case. However, I wonder if I’m more susceptible to this concept due to my being raised a Witness. After all, virtual immortality was supposed to be my birthright.

If you are interested, some of the book is excerpted on the website;

http://www.singularity.com/index.html

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

The knee that you speak of is non-existant. I'm curious, exactly when did this guy drop off his meds? I don't think its so much your JW background as it is the DNA you have. Just how does this, uh, thinker propose that death is overcome? You can have the highest IQ in history but in 80 or so years you're worm shyte. Ever hear of Goethe? While you are in the midst of your hopeful ecstacy ask yourself this: what would I do with unlimited life? If most people's IQ were to suddenly increase 50%, they would kill themselves over the sudden thoughts that would enter their heads. If you knew, absolutely knew that you would stay in your 19 year old body, never aging, never getting sick, never feeling hunger or thirst, how would your values change? What does the man who has absolutely everything need? Money? Sex? Power? Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've had a certain amount of experience with the mentality that has "all the answers". What diff is this guy from the GB? If you want to peddle religion, fine, but please do it down the street.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Things like vastly enhanced IQ’s, virtual immortality, dogs living in sin with cats, etc, etc.

OMG!!! It's already beginning!!!

• Gollum
    Gollum

Speaking of meds, frogleg, uhmm, you might want to check your cabinet?

I’m happy that you’ve sequenced my dna and have reached all of the appropriate conclusions about what makes me tick.

Also, what makes you think I’m peddling religion? I’m talking about an interesting book. I talk about a lot of interesting books. Doesn’t mean I agree with all of them. If you really had sequenced my “DNA” you’d know what my opinion of religion is. Or possibly you could look at my icon.

As far as the rest of your “points” I think the philosophical issue concerning what you would do with a greatly enhanced lifespan is valid. I could definitely see the possibility that one might reach the point where life no longer holds much interest. And it certainly would change a person's perspective on things.

In regards to the possibilities of the technology reaching this point, it doesn’t seem like that’s an issue you have any interest in discussing.

• frankiespeakin
  • Apognophos
    Apognophos

Shame this thread got such a crappy response back in the day. Thanks for bumping, frankiespeakin. I think it's pretty plausible stuff.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/penrose-hameroff/orchor.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WXTX0IUaOg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

Roger Penrose and Stuart Hameroff [ edit ]

Main article: Orchestrated objective reduction

Question book-new.svg This section relies on references to primary sources. Please add references to secondary or tertiary sources. (February 2012)

Theoretical physicist Roger Penrose and anaesthesiologist Stuart Hameroff collaborated to produce the theory known as Orchestrated Objective Reduction (Orch-OR). Penrose and Hameroff initially developed their ideas separately, and only later collaborated to produce Orch-OR in the early 1990s.

Penrose's controversial argument began from Gödel's incompleteness theorems . In his first book on consciousness, The Emperor's New Mind(1989), he argued that while a formal proof system cannot prove its own inconsistency, Gödel-unprovable results are provable by human mathematicians. He takes this disparity to mean that human mathematicians are not describable as formal proof systems, and are not therefore running a computable algorithm.

Penrose determined that wave function collapse was the only possible physical basis for a non-computable process. Dissatisfied with its randomness, Penrose proposed a new form of wave function collapse that occurred in isolation, called objective reduction. He suggested that each quantum superposition has its own piece of spacetime curvature, and when these become separated by more than one Planck length, they become unstable and collapse. Penrose suggested that objective reduction represented neither randomness nor algorithmic processing, but instead a non-computable influence in spacetime geometry from which mathematical understanding and, by later extension, consciousness derived.

Originally, Penrose lacked a detailed proposal for how quantum processing could be implemented in the brain. However, Hameroff read Penrose's work, and suggested that microtubules would be suitable candidates.

Microtubules are composed of tubulin protein dimer subunits. The tubulin dimers each have hydrophobic pockets that are 8 nm apart, and which may contain delocalised pi electrons. Tubulins have other smaller non-polar regions that contain pi electron-rich indole rings separated by only about 2 nm. Hameroff proposes that these electrons are close enough to become quantum entangled. [8] Hameroff originally suggested the tubulin-subunit electrons would form a Bose-Einstein condensate, but this was discredited. [9] He then proposed a Frohlich condensate, a hypothetical coherent oscillation of dipolar molecules. However, this too has been experimentally discredited. [10]

Furthermore, he proposes that condensates in one neuron could extend to many others via gap junctions between neurons, thus forming a macroscopic quantum feature across an extended area of the brain. When the wave function of this extended condensate collapsed, it was suggested to non-computationally access mathematical understanding and ultimately conscious experience, that are hypothetically embedded in the geometry of spacetime.

However, Orch-OR makes numerous false biological predictions, and is considered to be an extremely poor model of brain physiology. The proposed predominance of 'A' lattice microtubules, more suitable for information processing, was falsified by Kikkawa et al., [11] [12] who showed that all in vivo microtubules have a 'B' lattice and a seam. The proposed existence of gap junctions between neurons and glial cells was also falsified. [13] Orch-OR predicts that microtubule coherence reaches the synapses via dendritic lamellar bodies (DLBs), however De Zeeuwet al. proved this impossible, [14] by showing that DLBs are located micrometers away from gap junctions. [15]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit