JW guns down woman, self

by LDH 9 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
  • under74
    under74

I keep trying to read the article but then my browser shuts down.....

Rhink I'm going to have to cut & paste and get back to you LDH.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Jehovah's Witness shoots wife, self

A Bible-thumping Bronx man gunned down his estranged wife and then killed himself after accusing her of straying from their faith and sleeping with another man, police and neighbors said yesterday.

The victim's 21-year-old daughter found the bloodbath at 10:30 a.m. yesterday in her mother's Soundview apartment after the woman failed to show up to work as an Avon sales representative, neighbors said.

Sharoll Medina, 39, was sprawled on her bed with a gunshot wound to her head. Her estranged husband, Julio Lopez, 45, lay dead nearby with a revolver beside him, police said. "My mother! My mother!" her daughter screamed as she walked out of the Watson Ave. building.

Lopez and Medina, both Jehovah's Witnesses, separated about 18 months ago. But Lopez would often show up unannounced at Medina's fifth-floor apartment, neighbors said.

She routinely refused to let him inside, but rather than go away he would sleep in his truck. Their fighting got worse when Lopez found out Medina was dating another man - and he later argued with her about it, neighbors said.

Rich Schapiro and Alison Gendar

Originally published on November 2, 2005

• sweet tee
  • JAVA
    JAVA
    A Bible-thumping Bronx man gunned down his estranged wife and then killed himself after accusing her of straying from their faith

It's interesting to see that the news report called the Jehovah Witness killer, a "Bible-thumping Bronx man." What a great testimony he left behind.

I wonder if the Bronx JWs will use this news in their door-to-door work as a sign that we're living in the last days?

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Whatever happened to journalistic objectivity? Would we have seen these headlines:

Catholic guns down woman, self

Jew guns down woman, self

Baptist guns down woman, self

The purely religious identification is irrelevant when it is obvious that neither of the people involved were actually following the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses, or even of the Bible.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The purely religious identification is irrelevant

It's not entirely irrelevant, as Jehovah's Witnesses often boast that these tradegies happen to others, not to them.

It shows that Jehovah's Witnesses are not immune to these problems, and thus they are no better than anyone else, which is contrary to what they want people to believe.

W

• JAVA
    JAVA

OHappyDay -- I guess you're right, the headline wasn't very objective. Maybe the reporter read one too many of the Tower's magazines and decided to report in the same fashion. :)

Most Jews, Catholics, and Baptists identify themselves as something else other than being for example a Catholic. A Jehovah Witness sees himself as a Jehovah Witness. Their identification is their religion and not much more. They are told that everything they do is a reflection on the religion. I guess the reporter took them at their word.

Any way one looks at it, this is a very sad story--what a shame.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

I agree finallyfree. People need to know and understand that JW's have the same problems everyone has. They are human after all, and should stop putting themselves upon a false pedastal of piety while hypocritically judging everyone else as wicked, miserable and misled. Reminds me jgnat comment in another thread about "Jehovah's happy people" . Just cause you say it doesn't make it so.

sweet tee

• I quit!
    I quit!

I don't have problem with them pointing out he was a Jehovah's Witness because Witnesses alway manage to point the religion of anyone else who does things like this.

What I really do find interesting is this statement:

She routinely refused to let him inside, but rather than go away he would sleep in his truck. Their fighting got worse when Lopez found out Medina was dating another man - and he later argued with her about it, neighbors said.
    What can someone in her position do? I can't believe how many times a women will have restraining order against the person who winds up killing her. I don't know if she had one but he was obviously stocking her. Only thing I can think of doing is to move and leave no forwarding addresss but how practical is that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit