New $100 laptop could jump start education in developing world

by seattleniceguy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Frog
    Frog
    Too often we in the western world see solutions in our terms. We overlook the cultural environments we're working in.

This is so very true ozzie. While I agree this idea has great prospects, it's all too easy for us westeners to sit back and be awed by these all too simple solutions. i agree the implementation process, the follow-through, maintenance, product support etc will be a nightmare to manage. While it is an excellent idea in principle, without real support something like this would easily fall on its head. That then enables corrupt governments to blame the victims for the failure to take up a solution that would work well in remote areas of western countries, but not necessarily account for the cultural and economic road blocks in developing countries.

While I once again applaud SNG's optimism, this to me is just another example of putting too much faith in the quick technofix to find solutions to what are essentially problems that have cultural and social roots.

Ozzie mate, shoot me a pm sometime, I'd be very interested to hear allot more about what it is exactly that you do? frog x

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I would say that it's not the technology I'm putting faith in, but rather the ability of people who are empowered by knowledge. How can cultural problems change but from within? How can people want to change but by seeing other possibilities? To me communication is the key, and technology simply enables that.

Obviously, there are no silver bullets in a complex world. I think the manufacturers tried to make the computers less subject to redirection by adults, by making them suited to small hands and by adding the crank and bright colors. Of course, a dedicated thief could probably transform a shipment of them into his own personal supercomputer, but surely there are easier ways to accomplish that.

With regard to spotty internet connections, the laptops could ship with educational software already loaded. That way they would be useful out of the box, with internet connectivity a nice-to-have if available. Some other donor could always come in and provide Wi-Max connectivity later. Who knows? And the laptops don't have to go to the middle of the desert first. They could (and probably will) be deployed in concentric circles out from hubs like major cities, making the leap-frog mesh connection they describe more likely to work for more of the users. Obviously, if you're miles from any other users, you won't be logging onto JWD anytime soon. But at least some of the users will.

Also, these don't necessarily have to be freebies. The article mentions that Brazil ordered a million, which indicates that they had to pay something for them. It should be possible to observe whether they actually go to children or not.

Anytime a communication and information technology reaches more people, it's a good day in my book. Technology empowers people.

SNG

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Wherever the Internet reaches the WTS numbers freeze in suspended animation. I can't help but believe that very soon the current widespread stagnancy will lead to freefall. There are many who seem to think the organization can survive for many years yet, but the Internet is quickly becoming a necessity for people all over the world.

As people become familiar with and comfortable with the relative privacy of discovering new ideas on the Internet their curiosity will lead them away from Organized religions of all sorts, but the impact will especially be felt by those religions that do not encourage discovery and free interchange of ideas.

I agree with seattleniceguy, the more people are able to learn, the larger the pool of human contributors we have. The more human contributors we have, the faster our understanding of the universe will expand. The faster we gain understanding, the more useful our contributions become. And so it goes. This is not a bad thing.

In these days many are roving about the earth. Technology allows it as never before. In these days knowledge is becoming abundant and many are having insight. Technology allows it like never before.

AuldSoul

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Still problems abound.....

Even if these laptops reached the people we intended them for, they would be viewed as a western luxury item by the community and by the families of children who were using them. When adversity struck, and that's every year!, and the family are hungry, the laptop would soon be sold, most likely to a very grateful westerner!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

frog: Look at my avatar. As you can guess it's not the face I see in the mirror! It's of a boy named Kar who is desparately poor and whose family are almost starving right now. I've known him for some years and watched him grow up in a peasant jungle village. BTW a laptop will not help Kar right now to stay alive! Cheers, Ozzie

• Simon
    Simon

I personally think that fair trade is the best way to help developing countries - they are very good at lots of things, let them do what they do well and develop as they need but not be hampered by unfair deals.

Too often the 'generosity' of the west is fake. These laptops sound great ... but how much aid money will end up being spent on them and perhaps end up being a way to give subsidies to large companies (like happens with faming). What about the 'give your old computers to the 3rd world'? Yeah ... dump end of life crap on them that is soon to break down to avoid having to pay for the disposal costs for the murcury laced poison that they are manufactured with ... but the poor can't complain about a toxic dump in their back yard can they?

Education is important but computers do NOT help with education. They help with accessing information when you are educated and making companies rich. BTW: I don't think MS would make money out of it, they couldn't afford to be seen to and Bill does seem remarkably keen and generous on real aid and making aid count.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I can't believe it - not one comment on my post - ROFL

Is the world of tech-geekdom really so serious?

• LDH
    LDH

I agree, if I were a child and I lived in a developing country, I sure would dig a $100 laptop computer to comfort me during my 6 bug-infested, incurable disease, undrinkable water years!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

What I want to know is where you can find a Wi-Fi Hotspot in the first-world, far less the third-world...

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

A couple of years back Mrs Ozzie and I gave a notebook computer to a young man in a developing country. It was to help him with his education at Da Nang University.

He looked at it and, far from being thrilled, he said, "Why didn't you give me the money?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit