Daniels prophecy

by Hellrider 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Navigator
    Navigator

a christian

"abomination that makes desolate" is a word play on the Semitic title of Zeus "Baal of Heaven". In reading the scriptures it was a common practice to substitute such words as "shame", "abomination", and "transgression" in references to the old Canaanite god Baal. During the final "one week of years", Antiochus is successful in making a strong covenant with those of the Jews who are willing to compromise with his hellezination policy. The climax of his persecution is the halting of sacrifice in the temple and the descecration of the altar by the erection of a statue of Zeus. The cessation of worship was to last 2,300 evenings and mornings (1150 days, 3 years and approximately 2 months.) According to I Macc.(1:54, 59; 4:52-54) Judus Maccabeus and his followers rededicated the altar and resumed sacrifices 3 years to the day after the desecration.. Some scholars point out that Antiochus prohibition of sacrificices may have been enforced some weeks before the altar was desecrated and that the 1150 days may have been the actual period during which daily sacrifices were suspended.

Unlike the Persians, who pretty much let the Jews worship as they pleased, the Greeks were bent on "hellenizing" every part of the culture of their subjects. This included worship, diet, language, education, etc.. The period of Greek domination was a very stressful time for the Jews which no doubt caused the book of Daniel to be written. Its central message seems to be "hang on-God will save us in the end". It is no accident that when the Christians come under extreme stress from the Roman emporers such as Trajan, the book of Revelation is written. Much of the imagery in Revelation is lifted from the book of Daniel and its central message seems to be the same.

• a Christian
    a Christian

Navigator, I too have studied at great length all of Daniel's prophecies pertaining to the actions of Antiochus Epiphanes. Here is my take, which is much like yours. Jewish history indicates that Daniel's various "day" prophecies very well fit events which took place between the years 174 and 164 BC. In those historical accounts we find strong reason to believe that the 2,300 days of Daniel 8:14, as well as the 1,290 and 1,335 days of Daniel 12:11,12 were all literally and precisely fulfilled during the reign of Syrian king Antiochus Epiphanes. The following information can be easily obtained by reading a few Jewish history books and Bible commentaries. In 174 BC Jason, the brother of High Priest Onias III, secured the High Priesthood for himself by bribing Syrian king Antiochus Epiphanes. Jason's actions thereafter, such as promoting Jewish participation in athletic competitions dedicated to the Greek god Hercules and sending silver from the temple treasury to be sacrificed to that false god, caused the temple priests to neglect the sacrifices which were required by Jewish law. History records the fact that this corrupted Jewish worship, which began with the appointment of Jason as High Priest, was not completely cleansed from the temple until mid December of 168 BC when it was forcefully removed by the military forces of the king of Syria, Antiochus Epiphanes, with the very willing and active assistance of Jason’s successor as High Priest, Menelaus. Though history does not record the exact month and day of Jason's appointment as High Priest in 174 BC, I believe Daniel's prophecies and Jewish history combine to tell us that his appointment took place 2,300 days before the temple was cleansed of corrupted Jewish worship in mid December of 168 BC. "After 2,300 days (or evenings and mornings) the sanctuary will be cleansed." (Dan. 8:14 KJV) Many Bible commentators believe that the "evenings and mornings” here spoken of refer to the evening and morning sacrifices which began to be neglected after the appointment of Jason as High Priest. In 171 BC, Menelaus, a Jew not born of the line of Aaron, managed to have himself appointed as High Priest in place of Jason by offering Antiochus a larger bribe than Jason had previously paid. Since Menelaus was not of the line of Aaron, in fact not even a Levite, his being set up as High Priest was no doubt "an abomination" to God. And since he was not permitted by Jewish law, as were other High Priests, to "daily offer up sacrifices, first for their own sins and then the sins of the people" (Heb. 7:27), it is believed that "the daily sacrifice" was then "abolished" in God's eyes. Though history does not record the exact month and day of Menelaus' appointment as High Priest in 171 BC, I believe Daniel's prophecies and Jewish history combine to tell us that 1,290 days passed between the time Menelaus became High Priest and the time he finished assisting Antiochus Epiphanes in bringing about the total "desolation" of the Jewish religion. "From the time that the daily sacrifice is abolished and the abomination that causes desolation is set up there will be 1,290 days." (Dan. 12:11) History tells us that it was in mid December of 168 BC that Jerusalem's Temple was completely cleansed of corrupted Jewish worship brought about by the actions of Jason and Menelaus. This cleansing took place when Antiochus Epiphenes completely outlawed all practices of the Jewish religion. Jewish history indicates that some 2,300 days of corrupted Jewish worship then came to an end, a corruption which began with the appointment of High Priest Jason in 174 BC. Jewish history also indicates that some 1,290 days had also then passed since Menelaus, the "abomination" who had "abolished the daily sacrifice" and caused the "desolation" of the Jewish religion, had first been "set up" as High Priest. Three years later, in mid December of 165 BC, the revolt of the Maccabees finally reestablished undefiled Jewish worship in Jerusalem's temple. In the year 164 BC Antiochus Epiphanes died and was succeeded by his son, Antiochus Eupator. Later that same year Antiochus Eupator made a peace treaty with the Jews which guaranteed them religious freedom. Though history does not record the exact month and day that Eupator made that peace treaty with the Jews, I believe Daniel's prophesies and Jewish history combine to tell us that this peace treaty was made 1335 days after Antiochus Epiphanes, with the assistance of High Priest Menelaus, completely cleansed Jerusalem's Temple of all corrupted Jewish worship. "Blessed is the one who waits for and reaches the end of the 1,335 days." (Dan.12:12) Some Bible interpreters have chosen to turn the 2,300, 1290 and 1,335 days of Daniel chapters 8 and 12 into equal numbers of years and connect those years to various ancient and modern historical events. The Watchtower Society now actually says that all of Daniel’s “day” prophecies apply to events which occurred in the early history of their organization, such as the number of days which passed between various assemblies and published articles in the Watchtower magazine. ( Interpretations which are so far-fetched that it is hard for me to believe that even the men who came up with these interpretations actually believe them.) However, with all of the foregoing historical facts in mind, we have no need to believe that the "days" of Daniel chapters 8 and 12 were meant to be understood as equal numbers of years. And we certainly have no need to count days which passed between various JW assemblies and Watchtower articles! For history testifies that all of the "day" prophecies of Daniel very well fit the timing of very significant events which took place in Jewish history between the years 174 and 164 BC. Some have objected to this understanding because they feel God could not have considered the sanctuary to have been “cleansed” at the time the pagan alter was erected in the temple in 168 BC. For they say at that time the temple was more defiled than ever before. However, I disagree. For the temple was completely cleansed of the corrupted worship of the one true God at the time Menelaus assisted Syria's armies in removing all vestiges of Jewish worship from Jerusalem's temple. The fact that the temple was then converted into a temple of a false god, I believe, is totally irrelevant. For, I believe God's only concern was to then "cleanse" Jerusalem's temple of corrupt Jewish religious practices. How and by whom Jerusalem's temple was used during the following three years seems to me to be entirely beside the point.

To illustrate this fact, I will remind you of the fact that cleaning solutions quite often contain ingredients which are poisonous. After being used to cleanse a vessel of filth these cleansers almost always leave behind residue which is itself harmful and must also be removed at a later time before the cleansed vessel is finally again fit for use. However, no one will deny that the dirty vessel was "cleansed" prior to the time that the cleanser's poisonous residue was itself removed.

However, despite the wide availability of this information millions of Jehovah’s Witnesses now actually feel that it makes more sense to believe that Daniel’s prophecies refer to various JW assemblies and Watchtower articles from the 1920s, 30s and 40s, than to believe they refer to a time when all practices of the Jewish religion were totally outlawed under penalty of death, and to the time those sanctions were finally removed. However, I continue to strongly believe that 'the abomination which causes desolation" referenced in Daniel 9:27 is a different "abomination" than the one referred to in Daniel 8:14 and 12:11,12. For words of Christ quoted by Matthew, Mark and Luke make it quite clear that one "abomination which causes desolation" "spoken of by Daniel the prophet" was the army of Rome which destroyed Jerusalem and her Temple in the first century. Mike

• Navigator
    Navigator

My sources give, Dec, 167bc as the date that the pagan altar was constructed in the temple and the cleansing 3 years later in 164 b.c.. Most scholars seem to believe that the book of Daniel was written during this 3 year period, probably near the end of it. If the book had existed prior to 200 b.c., it would have been included among the Prophets, as it now stand in the English Bible. Writing ca. 180 b.c., Jeshua ben Sira lists the heroes of the faith from Enoch, Noah, and Abraham through Nehemiah (Ecclus.44-49) but makes no mention of Daniel, evidently because he does not know of the book about him. It really isn't prophecy when it is written after the fact is it? Re; your idea that the temple was "cleansed" when the vestiges of Jewish worship was removed prior to the erection of the pagan statue. That really is a stretch. That proper word is desecration. I do agree that Antiochus may have prohibited sacrifices some weeks before the pagan statue was erected, but that event would hardly qualify as "cleansing".

• a Christian
    a Christian

Navigator,

You wrote: My sources give, Dec, 167bc as the date that the pagan altar was constructed in the temple and the cleansing 3 years later in 164 b.c..

You may want to check some other sources. Here are a few from the Net. http://www.drshirley.org/hist/hist07.html

http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/armies/II43.html The opinion of scholars is pretty evenly divided on whether Antiochus IV ruled from 175-164 http://www.bible-history.com/sketches/ancient/antiochus-epiphanes.html or from 174-163 http://www.hebroots.org/hebrootsarchive/0312/0312f.html . For various reasons (what dating method was used, what calendar was used, questions about the Olympiad method of dating, etc.) there is often a question of one year one way or the other when it comes to assigning dates to may events recorded in ancient history.

However this makes no difference to my understanding of these prophecies. In other words, whether the events I described began in 174 and ended in 164 or began in 173 and ended in 163 is inconsequential to my understanding of Daniel.

You wrote: Most scholars seem to believe that the book of Daniel was written during this 3 year period, probably near the end of it. ... It really isn't prophecy when it is written after the fact is it?

There is much evidence to support the belief that all of Daniel was written before the time of Antiochus IV. http://www.christian-thinktank.com/qwhendan3x.html

But I did not enter into this discussion to debate Daniel's authenticity with Bible critics. And I will not do so now. I simply don't have the time. Besides, there never exists enough evidence of anything to convince someone of something they do not wish to believe.

Mike

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Navigator....I think it is more probable that it was completed in the midst of the events, since the end of Antiochus IV in 164 BC is not as how it is described in 11:40-45, tho there is much uncertainty as to whether the book circulated before or after the rededication of the Temple in 165 BC (i.e. are the specified time periods an attempt at forecasting the restoration of the Temple by the author, or a reporting of the actual events?). The narrative portions in ch. 1-6 (with the possible exception of ch. 2), meanwhile are generally thought to precede the Antiochene crisis and may have circulated independently c. 200 BC or earlier (cf. the highly variant text tradition in ch. 3-5 in the Greek).

a Christian....That's quite an interesting and novel interpretation. My biggest reservation about it is the fact that it designates the erection of the heathen altar as the time the Temple was "cleansed," which as you note is a difficult idea to swallow....that this would have seemingly been the time "the temple was more defiled than before". I do not believe the author of Daniel conceived of Antiochus' assault on the Temple in 168 BC as a positive cleansing away of the practices of a corrupt high priest (whom you identify as the "abomination which causes desolation"), for the description of this assault in ch. 11 is designated as the installation of the "abomination" and not its end. Thus the accession of Antiochus IV Epiphanes in 175 BC is mentioned in 11:21, followed by the "crushing of the ruler of the covenant" in v. 22....which would naturally correspond to the assassination of the legitimate high priest Onias III in 171 BC (cf. the "cutting off" of the anointed one in 9:26, and the "dashing to pieces" of the lamb in 1 Enoch 90:8). It is at this point that Menelaus is made high priest (2 Maccabees 4:23-35). This is confirmed by the reference a few verses later (v. 25-27) to Antiochus' invasion of Egypt in 170 BC, the first part of which ended with a victory near Pelusium (v. 25; cf. 1 Maccabees 1:16-19, "the first expedition against Egypt" implied in 2 Maccabees 5:1), and then Antiochus "will return greatly enriched to his own country," having had his "heart set against the holy covenant he will take action and then return to his own country" (v. 28). This may be reference to Antiochus' plundering of the Temple on his return to Syria from Egypt in 170 BC (cf. 1 Maccabees 1:21-28), whereas 2 Maccabees 5:11-20 dates the plundering to 169 BC, following Antiochus' "second expedition against Egypt" (2 Maccabees 5:1). This second war against Egypt is clearly mentioned in Daniel 11:29, "in due time he will make his way southwards again but this time the outcome will not be as before" because of opposition by the "ships of Kittim" (v. 30), and indeed Polybius described Antiochus' encounter with the Romans during his unsuccessful expedition against Ptolemy VI Philometor, during which Antiochus "replied that he would do whatever the Romans demanded" and he "withdrew his army into Syria ... groaning in spirit" (29.27). Similarly, Josephus (Wars of the Jews, 1.1.4) describes how Judas Maccabeus made an alliance with the Romans who "drove Epiphanes out of the country when he had made a second expedition into it, giving him a great defeat there". According to Daniel 11:30, it is when Antiochus retires to Syria that he "takes furious action against the holy covenant", perhaps this is the allusion to the plundering of the Temple that 2 Maccabees places after the second expedition. Thus, by this point in the text, we already have two expeditions against Egypt, "furious action" taken against the holy covenant, and the crushing of the high priest before all of this. All of this happens by 169 BC. It is after then, and only after then, that the text next states that the abomination of desolation (= "appalling horror" in the Hebrew) is set up:

"Forces of his will come and profane the sanctuary citadel; they will abolish the perpetual sacrifice and install the disastrous abomination there" (Daniel 11:31).

The reference to "forces" of Antiochus invading the Temple and abolishing perpetual sacrifice and installing the abomination is clearly to the traumatic events of 168 BC described in 1 Maccabees 1:29-61 ("two years" after Antiochus' first expedition against Egypt in 170 BC, 1:29), which describes the "impressive force" of Antiochus' mysarch pillaging Jerusalem (v. 30-31), "defiling the sanctuary itself" and shedding innocent blood around it (v. 37), and sometime after this the king directed the Jews to "profane the sabbath ... banning holocausts, sacrifices and libations from the sanctuary, profaning sabbaths and feasts, defiling the sanctuary and sacred ministers" (v. 43-46), culminating on the erection on the 15th of Chislev of "the abomination of desolation above the altar" (v. 54), clearly identifying the abomination of Daniel with the heathen altar that Antiochus had erected. The events of 168 BC were not viewed as cleansing the Temple but the exact opposite. The text describes all the elements of Daniel 11:31 in the same order: (1) the arrival of an impressive military force, (2) the defiling of the sanctuary, (3) the abolition of holocausts, sacrifices and daily libations at the sanctuary, and finally (4) the erection of the "abomination of desolation". The context of Daniel 11:31 also places this event at the same time as 1 Maccabees: AFTER the Egyptian expeditions, not BEFORE them as your interpretation requires (i.e. the installation of Menelaus as the high priest in 171 BC), and historically Menelaus was not made high priest through military force. Since we know that Antiochus did completely ban all sacrifice and offering in 168 BC, and this was to last for 3+ years, this better fits Daniel's references to Antiochus "abolishing the perpetual sacrifice" (8:11), to the "coming ruler" who "puts a stop to sacrifice and oblation and the disastrous abomination will be in their place" (9:27), and to the forces of Antiochus who "will abolish the perpetual sacrifice and install the disastrous abomination" (11:21). True, Menelaus and Jason were careless with observing the sacrifice and introduced heathen customs (2 Maccabees 4:12-14), but they did not completely abolish the sacrifice as 1 Maccabees says Antiochus did and as Daniel claims that Antiochus himself would do. What I don't understand is how you describe Menelaus and Antiochus as "cleansing the temple of corrupt Jewish religious practices" by instituting complete heathenism, when the corruption of Jason and Menelaus that preceded this was precisely the introduction of "hellenizing practices" into the Temple, contrary to the Law (2 Maccabees 4:11-14). It was not the defeat of hellenization that occurred in 168 BC but its total victory over Law-observant Judaism, to the extent that those who remained faithful to the covenant (i.e. who had not given in to hellenizing practices) were persecuted and put to death, as 1 Maccabees 1:57-61 describes in gory detail. It is just this persecution that is described in Daniel 11:32-35, again fitting perfectly into the 168-165 BC timeframe. The removal of the abomination, moreover, is described in 1 Maccabees 4:43, 6:7 as occurring in 165 BC during the purification of the Temple: "Next he selected priests who were blameless in observance of the Law to purify the sanctuary and remove the stones of the Abomination to an unclean place" (4:42-43). The priests cleansed and purified the sanctuary, along the lines of the Law in Exodus and Leviticus, which included anointing the place with chrism, just as Daniel 9:24 refers to the "anointing of the Holy of Holies" as part of Jerusalem's final restoration. This occasion, the rededication of the Temple by the priests as celebrated to this day in Channukah (cf. John 10:22-24), imho best fits the historic event expected by the author of Daniel (during which "the sanctuary will have its rights restored", 8:14).

As for whether ch. 9 refers to a completely different "abomination of desolation" and defiling of the sanctuary than described in ch. 11, I see the only reason to disregard the obvious parallelism between the two oracles is the NT mention of the "abomination of desolation" as still future, which for some rules out entirely the possibility that ch. 9 refers to Antiochus Epiphanes. This is not based on exegesis of the text itself but on a stipulation that a particular later interpretation of this text must be correct (on the basis of a belief in biblical inerrency). However, I do not believe this is an either-or proposition. True, the apocalyptic interpretation given in the synoptic gospels is a later interpretation of Daniel, for the Antiochene interpretation is attested much earlier. But it would still be possible to maintain both interpretations by assuming a type-antitype relation between them as various Christian interpreters have done over the years, viewing Antiochus as a type of the Antichrist or as a type of Titus. This is how Josephus apparently understood the passage. He understood that Antiochus Epiphanes was the focus of the oracle in ch. 8 (as the one who despoiled the Temple and forbid sacrifices "for three years", i.e. the time period between Chislev 168- Chislev 165 BC) and yet the same prophecy also looked ahead to the Romans despoiling the Temple (Antiquities, 10.11.17). Similarly, he elsewhere referred to the period during the Antiochene crisis as the fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy of the Temple being desecrated:

"So on the five and twentieth day of the month Chislev, which the Macedonians call Apelleus, they lighted the lamps that were on the candlestick, and offered incense upon the altar ... these things were done on the very same day on which their divine worship had fallen off, and was reduced to a profane and common use, after three years' time; for so it was, that the Temple was made desolate by Antiochus, and so continued for three years. This desolation happened to the temple in the hundred forty and fifth year [i.e. 168 BC], on the twenty-fifth day of the month of Apelleus, and on the hundred and fifty-third olympiad, but it was dedicated anew, on the same day, the twenty-fifth of the month Apelleus, in the hundred and forty-eighth year [i.e. 165 BC], and on the hundred and fifty-fourth olympiad. And this desolation came to pass according to the prophecy of Daniel, which was given four hundred and eight years before, for he decalred that the Macedonians would dissolve that worship for some time" (Antiquities, 12.7.6).

Note that in Wars of the Jews, praef. 7, and 1.1.1, Josephus states that "Antiochus Epiphanes took Jerusalem by force and held it for three years and three months", and that "he also spoiled the Temple and put a stop to the constant practice of offering a daily sacrifice of expiation for three years and six months," here reflecting the time periods of Daniel. So too Josephus is thought to allude Daniel 9:25 in Wars of the Jews 6.5.4, and 9:26 in Wars of the Jews 4.5.2, in applying the prophecy to contemporary events, the latter reckoning the beginning of the fall of Jerusalem from the assassination of high priest Ananus seven years before AD 70 (cf. the "cutting-off" of the anointed one at the start of the 70th week). One thing to keep in mind is that the Christian messianic interpretation of ch. 9 of Daniel is distinct from the Roman interpretation attested in the NT, Josephus, and Jewish and early Christian exegetes. Some Christians applied the prophecy entirely to the destruction of Jerusalem (cf. Pseudo-Clementine Rec. 1.64), others applied it to a still-future Antichrist (Irenaeus, Adversus Haereses 5.25.4), neither of which relating the prophecy to Jesus Christ. The author of Revelation moreover takes up the time periods and actions of Antiochus in Daniel and applies them to a still-future Antichrist (= the Beast). The Christian messianic exegesis appears only in the third century AD onward, and on the authority of the NT it merges the messianic interpretation with the earlier Roman/apocalyptic interpretation. The mainstream modern Christian interpretation likewise mingles the originally distinct interpretations. Thus the messianic view itself does not appear in the NT, while the Roman/apocalyptic interpretation in the gospels could be recognized as a subsequent re-interpretation of Daniel and/or an antitypical fulfillment in the future of the type of Antiochus and his defiling of the Temple (either by Titus or by a future Antichrist).

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

If I'm not mistaken, the one-year discrepency in the chronology is due (at least in part) to whether we accept Josephus' synchronization of the Seleucid reckoning with the Greek Olympiad reckoning...I agree that it is a matter of little concern as long as one is consistent with the periods...

• a Christian
    a Christian

Leolaia, Thank you for your comments. I don't have time now to respond to all you wrote. Where you find the time to write as much as you do I don't know. You wrote: What I don't understand is how you describe Menelaus and Antiochus as "cleansing the temple of corrupt Jewish religious practices" by instituting complete heathenism, when the corruption of Jason and Menelaus that preceded this was precisely the introduction of "hellenizing practices" into the Temple, contrary to the Law (2 Maccabees 4:11-14). In 168 BC Antiochus did not introduce a corrupted form of the Jewish religion into Jerusalem's Temple. Rather he then completely removed all corrupted Jewish worship from the Temple. As I wrote earlier, the fact that the temple was then converted into a temple of a pagan god is totally irrelevant. For, I believe God's only concern was to then cleanse Jerusalem's temple of corrupt Jewish religious practices, worship practices that were part Jewish and part pagan.

For, as I also wrote earlier to illustrate this point, cleaning solutions quite often contain ingredients which are very caustic. After being used to cleanse a vessel of filth these cleansers almost always leave behind residue which is itself harmful and must also then be removed before the cleansed vessel is finally again fit for use. This was what happened when Antiochus cleansed Jerusalem's Temple of the part pagan -part Jewish religious rituals which had been taking place there for the past several years. You wrote: The removal of the abomination, moreover, is described in 1 Maccabees 4:43, 6:7 as occurring in 165 BC during the purification of the Temple: "Next he selected priests who were blameless in observance of the Law to purify the sanctuary and remove the stones of the Abomination to an unclean place" (4:42-43). The priests cleansed and purified the sanctuary ... First of all, how the writers of 1 Maccabees understood Daniel's prophecies is of little concern to me. For I do not recognize the writings of the Apocrypha as inspired Scripture. That being the case, the writer of 1 Maccabees may well have misunderstood the words of Daniel's prophecies concerning who or what constituted Daniel's "abomination." As I have said, for the reasons I pointed out earlier, I believe Daniel's "abomination causing desolation" was the non-Levite High Priest Menelaus. However, it is possible that in referring to "the stones of the abomination" the writer of 1 Maccabees may simply have been referring in a general way to the pagan alter which had been erected in the Temple, which certainly was then quite abominable in the eyes of all Jews, and not referencing the prophecies of Daniel at all. But again, even if he was doing so, his understanding of Daniel's prophecies may very well have been mistaken. Mike

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Sorry Running off to a Date -

BUT

The WTS says Christ was born around October 4/5, 2 BC. What Astrologers among us can tell what the Zodiac said about the birth of a King at that time. (Remember Herod carefully established the time the astrologers first saw the star)

HB

• a Christian
    a Christian

Hamster,

Like most matters involving chronology, JWs have this one wrong. The preponderance of the evidence, including such things as the time of Herod's death and the star of Bethlehem, points to a 5 BC date for Christ's birth.

Mike

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I understand the concept that the events of 168 BC brought (corrupt) Jewish religious practices in the Temple to a temporary end, and this I believe is reflected in Daniel's references to Antiochus "abolishing sacrifice and oblation". From your point of view, I can see how the cessation of "corrupted" Jewish practice could be construed as a "cleansing" of the Temple of such corrupted worship. My problem is that it is the very same thing (heathenism, i.e. hellenization) that cleanses the Temple that was involved in its corruption. This conflicting dual role is implausible imho. Nor is it known whether or not Menelaus took part in the three-year heathen Temple cult (he does appear later in 2 Maccabees as still associated with Antiochus), a datum that has implications on your notion that Menelaus = the abomination of desolation. Moreover, I seriously doubt a Law-observant Jew...let alone God...would have viewed as "irrelevant" the sacrifice of unclean swine on the altar in the Temple, or that such sacrifice of unclean animals was construed as part of cleansing the Temple. All this just seems very implausible when compared to the alternative.... that Daniel refers to the three-year period when the heathen altar (=abomination of desolation) was placed inside the Temple and the slightly longer period when Antiochus and his forces abolished sacrifice (as Daniel indicates, instead of Menelaus being the one who does this), which was brought to an end in the Maccabean revolt and the Temple was indeed cleansed and purified by Law-observant priests (as Leviticus and Exodus prescribe).

The main problem however is the one I spent considerable space documenting, that ch. 11 indicates that the cessation of sacrifice and the installation of the abomination occurs AFTER the two Egyptian campaigns and not BEFORE them, as your scenario requires. Moreover, the order in which the events occur in ch. 11 fits neatly the interpretation pursued in my posts.

As for 1 Maccabees' identification of the abomination with the heathen altar erected by Antiochus in 168 BC, I do not regard this as irrelevant either since, (1) this is the earliest attested interpretation of the "abomination of desolation," (2) the work is generally regarded as quite accurate historically (in comparison to 2 Maccabees), and (3) it was written only several decades after the actual events (i.e. c. 137-105 BC), raising the possibility that its identification of the abomination was based on actual contemporary knowledge from the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit