For Parents: Suggest replacements for Bible CDs at night for our kids?

by ithinkisee 10 Replies latest jw friends

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Our kids are used to listening to what they call "Bible Tapes" at night when they go to bed. (My book of Bible Stories/Death, and Learn From Great Teacher cds) We haven't had too much objection to them for now until we can move from our current town to our new location - where we can do a full-on fade.

My question: We would like to start weaning them off the bible tapes now. Anyone have any good suggestions nighttime story CDs they could listen to INSTEAD of the WT kids crapola?

I don't want any loud obnoxious SpongeBob type stuff ... Instead, maybe even stuff with good moral (but not necessarily biblical) topics.

Any suggestions?

-ithinkisee (& FreedomLover)

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

ithinkisee, my wife and I usually listen to CD's when we go to bed also (even tho we are a little older thatn your kids). Harry Potter is a pretty good series, a little spendy of you get all of the books, but by the time you make it thru the whole series you can start over and still enjoy it immensly. She also still has "Wind in the willows" from her childhood, as well as Gullivers Travels. Best bet, check out the audio books section at the book store (Borders or Barnes & Noble), you will be amazed at what's out there.

Big Willy

• manicmama
    manicmama

How old are you kids? How about some good old fashioned reading, Dr. Seuss was always a favorite in our house. Take them to the library and have them pick some out that they would like. If they like hearing something to go to sleep by and they are young, disney produces sing along tapes that my daughter just loved! If they are a bit older how about introducing some classical music? There are so many options open to you now that you can trash the old JW s**t!

manicmama

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i would get carl sagan books on tape. or i don't know, buy them "Cosmos" his TV doc.

i can make tapes for them... -- An Evening With Tetrapod -- Hello kids...

LOL

honestly, if i was a parent, i would introduce my kids to science as young as possible. let them make up their own mind, but early on for sure.

cheers mate, :)

TS

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier
    Instead, maybe even stuff with good moral (but not necessarily biblical) topics.

The Adventures in Odyssey radio programs are excellent. Focus on the Family sells them on audio CD. You can listen to the program on the radio to see what the series is like before buying any of them. There's a huge collection of the programs available. They are Christian, but not at all preachy. The writing is top-notch, and characters are funny and interesting.

Robert V Frazier

• jgnat
    jgnat

Ooooh, this is going to sound so sappy....

There's some great Christian stuff out there for children. They are getting wise to Disney. Veggie Tales for younger ones, but the veggies are a little bouncy. Great messages though. "Are you my Neighbour?" is a must-see, any age. You are Special by Max Lucado, for any age. A good Christian Bookstore should have a wide selection. Really, there's some great stuff out there.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I'll have to second the vote for Veggie Tales. I even like them! Yes, it's campy and corny, but there is something so funny about learning "good vs. evil" from a cucumber named Larry and a tomato named Bob. I suggest renting one from the local library and if you like it, then purchase for yourselves. There is nothing bad or questionable about Veggie Tales. Love them!

• TheListener
    TheListener

Veggie Tales

Focus on the family tapes

Even my dub spouse likes both of these

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I know a lady who writes wonderful children's stories (she is a part of my writer's group). Her stories of "The Wee One" a tiny fae are short but interesting. They really are stories for all ages.

Her website is http://members.tripod.com/IdrisO/index.html

The little woods is the wonderful garden behind her home and it truly is a magical place to be. The last page of her website is pictures of her garden (and a statue of the Wee One I gave to the author on my visit with her a few years ago.

I know her books were on sale on the net somewhere but I'm having trouble finding them.

• bitemeWT
    bitemeWT

My children's school suggests reading to them at one grade level above what they are... So if you have a Kindergartener, then 1st grade level to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit