Waiting for the knock on the door!

by Carol 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Carol
    Carol

Friday night on the way home from work, my cell phone rang and I answered it without looking at the caller ID. It was my JW mother....I haven't talked with her in six months. She started the conversation "Hi Cabby do you know who this is?" Understand only immediate family calls me by that nickname (my brother couldn't say Carol so he called me Cabol...which was shortened to Cab over the years). After rolling up my windows and turning on the a/c we continued to talk while I drove home, 20 minutes later we were still talking.....as I pulled into the driveway and went into the house. Once I was in a settled, the sermon started......

She'd like to see me, she isn't well and worries that I've turned away from Jehovah and am receiving none of his Holy Spirit. We discussed my daughter's mental health problems (she has anger issues and feelings of being deserted) and I told my mother it was chemical and hormonal......my mother informed me it was "Demons", that my turning away from Jehovah was the cause of all my problems...financial, health, emotional, etc. After much lecturing on her part and her constant advising me to make myself right with Jehovah, I advised her that I was a peace with my standing before Jehovah and I didn't feel I had to go to the KH to worship Jehovah. That I believed the Bible and I believed in Jesus and Jehovah, but I did not believe in the organization or the governing body and did not feel that the elders had any right to sit in judgment of anyone or counsel anyone about their problems. I also informed her that I would see her in the new system if there was one, or in heaven or maybe I'd just be dead and so would she.

The old standard, "Jehovah is using men", "it is not the person, it is the message", etc., etc., etc. ad nauseum, followed! At that point I informed her I had no interest in belonging to an organization that would tell a female child that they didn't count because their father wasn't a JW (I was informed that the Circuit Overseer that said that suffered through 7 years on no positions for his cold treatment of the friends.....but Jehovah hadn't let me know this because I had left him); that preached the end in 1975 and have since changed their tunes; that belonged to the UN (oh, the sh*t hit the fan on that one, she wanted proof....I told her I'd e-mail it to her) and that I thought she should read Ray's book C of C (she knew Freddie and Ray Franz, Brother Knorr and a number of the "powers that be" at Bethel). At that she started screaming.....yes screaming.....that, that was my problem. I had joined "that religion Ray had started in Florida called the Apostates". When I informed her no I hadn't....she informed me I needed to throw out "that demonized book" and all of my problems and my daugher's problems would stop. She also informed me she was going to come down and help me clean out my house of anything "demonized". I informed her not to come in December because I was having a Christmas Tree.

To make a long story (or should I say conversation) short, the conversation lasted 3 hours and 38 minutes...on my cell phone no less. Ending with comments on my lack of morals, lack of love for my children because I didn't care about their everlasting life and that she still loved me and would continue to pray for me. She also said she hoped we could be friends. I told her no! We could be mother and daughter, but that I would no longer keep my feeling to myself and that if she couldn't agree to disagree.....then our conversations would be few and far between. She agreed to my terms and informed me she would continue to talk about the "truth" and I told her I would continue to offer her proof of the lies told by the "Organization". I told her I loved her and hung up.

I then poured myself 4 fingers of Jack Daniels and cried with relief!

• Frog
    Frog

Wow Carol, that's a powerful conversation with your ma she had...she might regret it when she gets the bill!

I've been where you are, and remember all those lengthy incredibly draining conversations with my ma, and jw family. It'll take some time, and going throught he motions before she learns to let go and trust that you're firm in your decisions, may take a few years. Good on you though for being so strong and resolved, it will all pay off in due time:)

frog x

• horrible life
    horrible life
    the conversation lasted 3 hours and 38 minutes

Carol, I heve US Cellular, All incoming calls are free!!

I then poured myself 4 fingers of Jack Daniels and cried with relief!

I would have gotten a bigger glass before I sat down.

I'm sorry that our parents have to give us such guilt trips. But you handled it beautifully, and with grace. Be proud. HL

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Wow, what a great job you did of standing up for yourself! I'm impressed. Its so difficult with our parents, specially the ones like your mom (and mine) who are so brainwashed. My mom is of the opinion that I am personally demonized. Isn't it amazing how everything is the fault of those pesky demons?

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you you handled that very well.

Sherry

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

WOW !!!!! Carol, you probably already know this, but Jehovah's Witnesses are sick people. They remain sick because they get infected 5 times a week. I had a family of sick people who wanted to make me sick too. However I inocculated myself against their sickness and now, none of them bother me. I feel a lot better now !!!!

• Carol
    Carol

Thanks, I faded a long time ago.....but haven't ever been this blunt before. I just decided that if she can associate with my disfellowshipped, drug dealing, financially well off brother.....then she can associate with me on my terms or not at all. Thank you JWD....it's only been through reading about everyone elses experiences that I've had the courage to stand up for what I truly believe!

Fortunately most of the conversation was after my free nights and weekends started, but I gotta tell you, even if I have to pay for it.....it's well worth it! I'm finally totally free.

The really great part that I forgot is that my brother, he lives 2 miles from me, took me out to breakfast Saturday morning and I told him about my conversation with "his mother". He told me he wants to read C of C, so he can be ready when "my mother" calls him.

Free at Last, Free at Last, Thank you Lord I'm Free at Last!!!!!!!!

• Cellist
    Cellist

Way to go, Carol! Good for you. It's nice to hear of the JWs meeting with firm resistance on all fronts.

Cellist

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Ah! Closure!

I hope it continues to go well. What I mean by that is that there is still some line of open communication left. For many of us there is nothing. I have not been able to get many [family included] to even speak to me since leaving. What short conversations I have had have been so one sided so as be worthless in making any points at all - and I think my letters have been used as kindling.

I have tried a few efforts to 'reach' them, but the resistance is so great, and the pressure from the elders to 'shun' us, that I think it has all been like chaff in the wind.

I hope your Mom will let some of what you say sink in - seeds are planted.

Still, I would not trade the freedom from such error and manipulation at any price. As you stated - Thank God!

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit