I need help refuting a very common and stupid jw argument

by Check_Your_Premises 29 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Throw it back in their faces with a question:

Why makes you think that meetings and field service are spiritual activities?

If you are bored, half awake and accomplishing nothing, what is spiritual about that? Is simply peddling magazines and finding

no one home a spiritual activity? If I am bored out of my skull, how does that show that I have holy spirit - the essence of being

spiritual?

metatron

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    combatting anything jw with scripture never seems to get anywhere except running around in circular arguments

I am not trying to combat anything necessarily. What I am trying to do is play defense. Make sure my kids hear an alternative opinion. Establish my right to instruct my children as I think is best. This isn't any sort of attempt to open my wife's eyes.

Frankly, I am convinced that as a ubm, trying to help your spouse is secondary to protecting your children from indoctrination. Because if you don't, everything you do to try to help your spouse will be infused with desperation.

CYP

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    If you are bored, half awake and accomplishing nothing, what is spiritual about that? Is simply peddling magazines and finding

no one home a spiritual activity? If I am bored out of my skull, how does that show that I have holy spirit - the essence of being

spiritual?

Great points! I love you guys. I knew you would have some ammo for me!

CYP

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yeah! Teenagers dread boredom!

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Well here's one way:

a) The purpose of education at a University or College is to put a person in a better position to hold down a well paying job so that they can support themself and possibly a family.

b) The concept that 1st century Christians were something like pioneers or even publishers is pretty astonishing considering the fact that just to survive took much more time and work. (I would say, think something along the lines of the Amish)

So, like what others have said, it would be a matter of 'glorifying' God in your everyday life. Going to College can actually benefit a persons relationship with God. In the sense that by holding down a steady, well paying job with balanced hours, allows one to contribute not just to the Kingdom Hall (yes, I know how that sounds please forgive me) but that it also allows them to help their fellow brothers and sisters, as well as allows them more time then probably what the 1st century Christians had.

If someone contests this...

Open the Bible story book, liken it to the Amish, and ask how much time would they really have to devote to all that the Society requires of people today.

wish you well

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Just read them this scripture.

" Having heard everything, I have reached this conclusion: Fear God and keep his commandments, because this is the whole duty of man." Eccl 12:13 :

I don't see "activity X" in there do you?

If they keep on about it, flip over to Eccl Chapter 3:

(It reads better when you sing it in tune with the 60's song that borrows it)
    A Time for Everything

1 There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,

a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,

a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain, -Also- 12 I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.

And so on. Just keep singing and reading until they say "OK, OK I GET IT DAMMIT!!"

• mouthy
    mouthy

Mouthy is thinking like a christian again, instead of a brainwashed cult member... bad mouthy! heehee. ;) TEE!!HEE

• Jez
    Jez
    "Why would god give you talents if he didn't want you to use them? Maybe getting an education will allow you to interact with and encounter people who you wouldn't have otherwise."

Great above comment!

I would add that you could mention or study about biblical characters that had an education, God saw fit to use them! Even Jesus was taught a trade.

David Shepherd :-)
    Luke Physician :-)
    Paul Tent Maker :-)
    Matthew Tax Collector :-)
    Peter Fisherman :-)
    Herod King :-)
    Joseph (in New Testament) Carpenter :-)
    Caiaphas High Priest :-)
    Lydia Sold Purple :-)
    Ethiopian Eunuch Queen's Treasurer

http://newgeorgiachurch.com/occupations.htm

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Do unto others is a good one.

I am being spiritual by NOT doing the door to Bore Misery, because i don't want culties knocking me up on Saturday mornings trying to get me to talk Cult Crap.

HB

• Gill
    Gill

Scully and AK - Jeff - I was reading your replys to this post, how after not going to the meetings for a while no one bothered for months to find out if you were OK.

I have, many times heard the JW reasoning behind this. It goes like this: If 'so and so' doesn't want to 'know' Jehovah and serve him then 'We' can't help them.

I'll give two examples only. One sister, faithful for forty plus years, was regularly beaten up by her total lunatic husband. Then she stopped going to the meetings suddenly. I asked Sister Elderette who had been to see her, as it was well know that NO ONE was ever to just go round and visit her as her husband was very violent. Sister Elderette said that some elders had visited her and she was 'not wanting to go to the meetings' so until she wants to serve Jehovah again, we're to stay away from her.

Another poor sister, regularly battered by her husband became desperately ill with encephalitis from which she was sadly never to recover. She was institutionalised. Sister Elderette said that as long as she still mentioned 'Jehovah' they would continue to visit her.

As to whether there is any time for anything but 'witnessing' and 'spiritual activities', there isn't! The WTBTS is a money grabbing book publishing corporation masquerading as a religion with the ultimate gift of eternal life, if you make enough converts, sell enough books etc, out to get as many free recruits as possible. To them...there is no time for anything but making money for them. They have the 'ultimate Scam' going.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit