How big is your Ecological Footprint??...

by Frog 33 Replies latest social current

• Frog
    Frog
    My point is not that the predictions are inaccurate. The reason they don't come true is that the realities force us to change.

I hear you SNG, but the rate at which we adapt shouldn't be thought of as a natural process that will balance out in the end.

I really don't think you can use past experiences of adaption to changing conditions to that which we're presented with today. The way environmental degredation issues have gradually compounded won't allow us to do that.

The question is will we adapt quickly enough. Western societies in general have allowed themselves to be lulled into a false sense of comfort. Especially so when the full costs of environmental indulgences aren't factured into their resale values. The global economic system is viewed as inevitable by most, and as such isn't challenged when it should be.

You mention that humans in the developed world aren't prepared to forego the lifestyles they've become so comfortable in. Joking comments made on this thread re-inforce that fact. The point is that without major lifestyle changes, and changes to the way the global economic system is structured, life as we know it into the forseeable future cannot be sustained.

Viewing technological fixes as the answer, and not balancing that out with a need for mass social change will inevitably lead to irreversable damage that will cause us to eat well into our future. Numerous technologies we need to live sustainably have been developed and yet there are too many binds for their thorough implementation. How can we as a species adapt quickly enough to our natural environment when we outright acknowledge that we know so very little about it, and the extent of the impacts we're having on it? I think perhaps that you have greater faith in human intelligence than I do to predict and respond creatively to forces we have little knowledge of, and no real control over.

As a species we will always be forced to adapt to survive, but I don't believe that we can be so optimistic that this change will occur as part of a natural process, at a rate that is consistant with averting mass human misery.

We have only one pie. The way it gets sliced is changing.

I get your angle re the flaws of eco-footprint calcs, but I think perhaps for the purpose of this exercise it didn't require overanalysing. Those calcs are put together to prod people's environmental conscience in a light-hearted way.

The developing world is developing. The global economy is lifting nations out of poverty.

I'm sorry but I had to laugh at this comment. The north/south divide is firmly entrenched and the chasm growing, cause the global economic system is set-up to keep it that way, for now anyway. While I believe in egalitarian values gernerally, the idea of the developing world being excused to replicate the mistakes of western industrialisation is just plain stupid. It may be driving the push to renewables because of increased demand on fuels, but isn't it just plain sad that it always has to come down to a narrow view of cost effectiveness. The artificial economic system has become so firmly embedded with our concept of survival, thereby limiting our response to positive change.

Anyways, I don't think we're really disagreeing in general here:) frog x

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Wow

Slow down frog

May I respectfully suggest reading what others are saying rather than formulating an immediate response.

My point was that I not only have eased back from using planetary resources but I also put back in the sense of regenerating wild space.

I am not from the States, so it is not a north/south thing. If you bothered to look, I am from n/nsw in Australia.

I am fully aware of green economics and that's what I practice. All I was saying is that the test had an agenda and was limited in its scope

Whew

• Frog
    Frog

sorry doof, I wasn't for a moment speaking about you specifically. Perhaps I neglected to offer you praise that's all My comments were just generally speaking about human attitudes in general. And yes I did read your comments, and think your green values are great. And yes I know where you're from, I've noticed you around:) frog x

All I was saying is that the test had an agenda and was limited in its scope

edited to add: and yes as I stated, I concur. Ecological footprinting on an individual level is just a bit of fun. On a national and international level though it is proving most useful.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Frog,

Thanks for your comments. Let me start by agreeing that

I don't think we're really disagreeing in general here.

I guess it's just a question of how we get from here to there.

The global economic system is viewed as inevitable by most, and as such isn't challenged when it should be. [.. and much later...] The north/south divide is firmly entrenched and the chasm growing, cause the global economic system is set-up to keep it that way, for now anyway.

I will definitely have to disagree with you here. Globalization is a good thing for poor countries. I say this at my own pain, because globalization necessarily takes jobs away from countries where labor is expensive and moves it to where labor is cheap. So, for example, in my field, software development is moving to India. But this results in economic prosperity flowing to the place that has less. I accept the loss here because of the long-term benefit to India.

Abstractions aside, the facts show clearly that globalization has had this effect. For example, check out this article in SciAm:
    http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID=000E4C4C-F093-1304-ABA283414B7F0000

And specifically, check out this sidebar:
    alt

While poverty has grown somewhat in certain areas, in absolute numbers it has been in steady decline, even though the population has grown by around 25% since 1981. In other words, in 1981, we had 1.5 billion out of 4.5 billion in poverty, or 1 out of 3. Today, we have 1.1 billion out of 6 billion, or a little more than 1 out of 6. Globalization is definitely helping the situation.

You mention that humans in the developed world aren't prepared to forego the lifestyles they've become so comfortable in. Joking comments made on this thread re-inforce that fact. The point is that without major lifestyle changes, and changes to the way the global economic system is structured, life as we know it into the forseeable future cannot be sustained.

Well, that's just the point. If it can't be sustained, then it won't be, and people will be forced to make the major lifestyle changes you mention. But, activists notwithstanding, your average citizen isn't going to choose to live in a mud hut in order to save energy. However, if suddenly gasoline costs $10 a gallon and electricity from oil costs a dollar per kilowatt-hour, people will be faced with an ultimatum, and that is what will spur the large-scale changes. Fortunately, we do have at least some amount of foresight and there are a lot of brilliant people working on these problems now. I think we're approaching the tipping point.

Viewing technological fixes as the answer, and not balancing that out with a need for mass social change will inevitably lead to irreversable damage that will cause us to eat well into our future.

See, the problem is, you can't legislate an environmental morality. How would this social change be effected? Forcing people to change by decree doesn't go over very well.

Numerous technologies we need to live sustainably have been developed and yet there are too many binds for their thorough implementation. How can we as a species adapt quickly enough to our natural environment when we outright acknowledge that we know so very little about it, and the extent of the impacts we're having on it? I think perhaps that you have greater faith in human intelligence than I do to predict and respond creatively to forces we have little knowledge of, and no real control over.

I wouldn't say I believe that we have the power of incredible foresight. And I recognize that there is a possibility that our mode of life may change drastically if, for example, we do not avert climate change. But I do think that humans are tenaciously clever, and we are very good at finding a way out when we have to. Unfortunately we're not so good at planning far into the future. That's one of the reasons I see market mechanics as a much more reliable way of getting things to happen.

While I believe in egalitarian values gernerally, the idea of the developing world being excused to replicate the mistakes of western industrialisation is just plain stupid. It may be driving the push to renewables because of increased demand on fuels, but isn't it just plain sad that it always has to come down to a narrow view of cost effectiveness.

I'd agree with you there. It seems a bit unfair to ask for the developing nations not to get to do what the developed nations did 100 years ago, but clearly we do have to ask them to make at least some concessions. Perhaps a solution here would be for richer nations to subsidize adoption of cleaner technologies in poorer nations, but that's a political problem, and I'm not very good at politics. :-)

The artificial economic system has become so firmly embedded with our concept of survival, thereby limiting our response to positive change.

But really, there is nothing more natural than economics. Everything is economics. Economics just means spending your resources in the way that seems best for you and your family. From a kid deciding what to buy with his allowance to a mother choosing healthcare options for her pregnancy, every choice people make is driven by economics, cost and benefit. Even non-financial decisions are economical. Should I go to church today? I'd rather stay home and play, but I don't want to burn in hell. Cost-benefit ratio tells me to go to church. The point is, every choice we make is made by considering the costs and benefits. People will not act in a way that costs but does not give them a clear benefit.

Anyway, like you say, I think we're trying to get to the same place, but from different points of view. But hey, that's what makes the world go around. And now I should probably spend several days working to make up for the time I spent on this reply. :-)

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit