Fewer than 100 WWI veterans remain alive

by Soledad 18 Replies latest social current

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Are you sure about that figure? I know at least a half dozen...could probably think of a few more if I tried.

Coffee

• VM44
    VM44

"Millions now living will never die" That was said to be literally true in the 1920s!

Rutherford should be held accountable for promoting that false slogan! He misled people!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Of course, Rutherford died 63 years ago! So much for holding him accountable for anything! --VM44

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    So, if there were 8000 Memorial partakers alive in 1990, and in general they were about the same age as WWI vets (perhaps a tad younger), how many would we expect to still be sippin' & crunchin' in 2005?

well said,

what a great parallel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    According to the United Nations Population Division, there are about 265,000 persons age 100 or older (that is, who were alive in 1905) in 2005. About 10.7 million (10,685,000) people in 2005 are age 90 or older (alive in 1915).
    The citation is as follows: Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations Secretariat, World Population Prospects: The 2004 Revision, accessed online at esa.un.org/unpp, Sept. 1, 2005.
    Kelvin M. Pollard
    Senior Demographer
    Population Reference Bureau ( www.prb.org )

Anyone enlisted in WWI would have been at least a teenager, the youngest enlisted man was 16 years old. Those soldiers still alive would be over 106 years old if they were fighting in 1914. By far, the average age of those who saw 1914 is dead.

w54 8/1 p. 478 The Purpose of Your Witnessing
    18 There is no time to lose. This is a most urgent message. Time is fast running out for Satan and his system of things, for they refuse to recognize that the “Gentile times” ended in 1914 and Christ Jesus was then enthroned as earth’s rightful Ruler. We are now forty years within “this generation,” the generation that witnessed the eventful year 1914, the generation doomed to experience Armageddon. (Matt. 23:36; 24:34) Make no mistake about it, that final war is a fixed date on the divine calendar, just as sure to occur on time as all the other purposes of Jehovah have. “For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven.” “For to every purpose there is a time and judgment.” (Eccl. 3:1, 17; 8:6, AS) Really, it is much later than most people think!

At the time this was written, the average soldier who fought in WWI was 67 years old.

w53 2/15 p. 124 When Will God’s Kingdom Come?
    35 What does all this mean? Jesus’ words, at the conclusion of telling his disciples of all these things, give us the answer. He says: “Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” (Matt. 24:34, NW) He meant what he said. The generation that began to see these things in 1914 will witness the final accumulated judgments of Jehovah God, though some individuals who are part of this generation may die before the end of this world’s system of things takes place.

I wonder if this view ever changed?

w85 5/1 p. 4 Is God Delaying His Judgment?
    Thus judgment would be executed sometime during the life span of people seeing the first evidence of the time period foretold by Jesus. The start of this time period would mark the beginning of the end for Satan’s world, against which God’s newly established Kingdom in heaven would execute divine judgment. Bible chronology and the fulfillment of Bible prophecy provide ample proof that this time period began in 1914.
    Thus before the 1914 generation completely dies out, God’s judgment must be executed. This generation still exists in goodly numbers. For example, in 1980 there were still 1,597,700 persons alive in the Federal Republic of Germany who were born in 1900 or before. The figure would be even larger had not millions of its citizens experienced premature death during the two world wars.

Yeah, I guess it did. But, it would have to change even more by now, right?

w91 6/15 pp. 6-7 Soon No More Sickness or Death!
    Why Soon?

Jehovah’s Witnesses have helped millions to come to the realization that these promises will be fulfilled in the near future. On what basis, though, do they feel so sure of this? On the basis of overwhelming evidence that we are living in “the last days” of the present system, or arrangement, of things on earth. (2 Timothy 3:1-5) Jesus’ disciples asked for a sign as to when the conclusion of the system of things would be. In response Jesus foretold in detail the escalating world events that have taken place since the outbreak of World War I in 1914. Then he added: “When you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.” So some of the generation living in 1914 will live to see the end of the present world system.—Matthew 24:33, 34.

So, we went from "some individuals...may die" in 1953 to "some...will live to see the end" in 1991.

Something many may not be considering regarding the drawing of Veteran benefit checks: spouses draw benefits too. A 45-year-old man marrying a 20 year old woman was not uncommon post WWI. The wife may not have been born in 1914.

Now, the generation of 1914 supposedly has characteristics in common with me. I admit that is true.

We don't have very much in common: I still eat and have normal bowel and urinary functions and almost none of them do, I still have mental faculties sharp enough to work a crossword puzzle and hardly any of them do, I know how to operate a push-button telephone which is a technological marvel nearly beyond the comprehension of the few who are still alive, I still breathe and almost none of them do.

But, a generation isn't really the entire lifespan of a human, it refers specifically to the life-cycle. If we take "genea" (gr.) to mean those who saw 1914 and view that generation as a whole, I must confess I do have some characteristics in common with them. Our skulls and teeth are similarly arranged, we have nearly every bone in common, and most of them have not decayed to the point that all muscle tissue is gone.

AuldSoul

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

From the horses mouth-If i was to offer the following testimony to a worldly jury most of them would believe me so there:"four generations of the Haszard clan and marriage in law relations a huge clan of Watchtower followers vested EVERYTHING their whole lives,marriages,child rearing,education,finances and lack of healthcare (resulting in premature deaths read manslaughter) ON the Watchtower corporations bogus 1914 generations prophecy which has defaulted.

From the oldest to the youngest we would rally in the Watchtower's blasphemous interpetation of these words from Jesus Christ:"sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for the 1914 generations promise of Jehovah to go unfullfilled".

The Watchtower corporation has reiterated this promise over and over again in their publications and in oral sermons.MY testimony this day Danny Haszard Bangor Maine

• VM44
    VM44

Danny Haszard is correct, the JWs strongly stated that it was Jehovah's [The Creator's] promise that armageddon and the new world would come before the last of the 1914 generation passed away.

For decades, all the way up to 1994, they assured IN PRINT this promise again and again.

Now the JWs don't talk so much about The Creator's Promise, and even try to get away with saying they have "never said anything in Jehovah's name"!!!!!

I don't see how anyone could have such a forgetful memory, forgetting something they had preached for over 80 years.

Forgetfullness? or rather, Dishonesty?

--VM44

• Will Power
    Will Power

w85 5/1 p. 4 Is God Delaying His Judgment?
    """"" Thus before the 1914 generation completely dies out, God’s judgment must be executed. """""

Can you imagine being god, reading his magazine, and realizing that THEY are telling HIM what HE must do?

No wonder all the failed prophecies!!!!

• badboy
    badboy

IN BRITAIN,THERE ARE ONLY 10 WW1 VETERANS LEFT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit