Apostles = GB

by yaddayadda 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

W01 1/15 Overseers and Ministerial Servants Theocratically Appointed 14 While bodies of elders share with traveling overseers in recommending brothers to serve as elders and ministerial servants, the actual appointments are made according to the pattern set in the first century. On one occasion, a need arose for spiritually qualified men to care for an important assignment. The governing body gave the following direction: “Search out for yourselves seven certified men from among you, full of spirit and wisdom, that we may appoint them over this necessary business.” (Acts 6:1-3) While men on the scene made the recommendations, the appointments were made by responsible men there in Jerusalem. A similar pattern is followed today."

Acts 6:2+3 actually says; "So the twelve called the multitude of the disciples to them and said: "It is not pleasing for us to leave the word of God to distribute [food] to tables. So, brothers, search out for yourselves seven certified men from among you,....... "

How long has the GB been made up of exactly 12 members? Do you think the GB actually thinks it is a modern-day equivalent to the 12 apostles , who they claim were a first century 'governing body'?

# I wonder how many make up the Mormon's GB, assuming they also have one?

• vitty
    vitty

Reading stuff like this makes me Its only been 18 months since I stopped going to meetings and I ask myself "How the hell did you accept all this crap ?"

• kwintestal
    kwintestal
    # I wonder how many make up the Mormon's GB, assuming they also have one?

The Morman's are lead by the Quarem of twelve apostles. The mormons stopped by yesterday when I was out and left a tract, so I checked out their website.

http://www.mormon.org/learn/0,8672,940-1,00.html

Kwin

• blondie
    blondie

In the beginning, the WT teaches that the GB was made up of the 12 apostles. But later they state that others were added,

it-1 p. 129 Apostle ***
    Following the death of the apostle James, the disciple of the same name, James the half brother of Jesus, appears to have presided in the governing body. Paul speaks of this James and also Peter (Cephas) and John as "the ones who seemed to be pillars." (Ac 12:1, 2, 16, 17; Ga 1:18, 19; 2:9, 11-14) It was James who announced the final decision on the important issue of circumcision as involving the Gentile believers, at which meeting Peter and Paul both presented testimony.—Ac 15:1, 2, 6-21.

w97

5/15 pp. 16-17 Theocratic Administration in the Christian Era ***
    Previously, after Judas Iscariot, the traitorous apostle, committed suicide, a need was discerned to give "his office of oversight" as an apostle to someone who had been with Jesus during his ministry and who had witnessed his death and resurrection. However, when James, the brother of John, was executed, no one replaced him as one of the 12. (Acts 1:20-26; 12:1, 2) Rather, the next Scriptural reference to the governing body shows that it had been enlarged. When a dispute arose over whether Gentiles who followed Jesus should submit to the Mosaic Law, the matter was submitted for decision to "the apostles and older men who were in Jerusalem." (Acts 15:2, 6, 20, 22, 23; 16:4) Why were "older men" now evidently on the governing body? The Bible does not say, but there was an obvious benefit. The death of James and the imprisonment of Peter had shown that the apostles might one day be imprisoned or killed. In such a contingency, the presence of other qualified elders, experienced in governing body procedures, would ensure the orderly continuance of oversight.
    When Paul came to Jerusalem about the year 56 C.E., he reported to James and, the Bible says, "all the older men were present." (Acts 21:18) Why was there no mention of apostles at this meeting? Again, the Bible does not say. But the historian Eusebius later reported that some time before 66 C.E., "the remaining apostles, in constant danger from murderous plots, were driven out of Judea. But to teach their message they travelled into every land in the power of Christ." (Eusebius, Book III, V, v. 2) True, Eusebius’ words are not part of the inspired record, but they do harmonize with what that record says. For example, by 62 C.E., Peter was in Babylon—far from Jerusalem. (1 Peter 5:13) Still, in 56 C.E., and likely right up until 66 C.E., a governing body was clearly active in Jerusalem.
  • Kenneson
    Kenneson

It's interesting to note that the Watchtower never makes mention of Acts 6:5 "The proposal was acceptable to the whole community..." So, before they finalized the decision the Twelve consulted all the believers., who were in agreement with it. Does the Watchtower Society ever do that? Moreover, after Stephen and the others are chosen, they are never presented carrying out the task for which they were appointed. Rather, two of their number, Stephen and Philip, are presented as preachers of the Christian message. They, the Hellenist counterpart of the Twelve, are active in the ministry of the word. See Acts 7 and 8.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Fascinating. Thanks for your responses.

Fancy the Mormons also having a ruling body 'quarem' of 12, just like the GB! Spooky.

Excellent point re Acts 6:5 Kenneson. This makes me wonder why the Society don't have some kind of consultation process in place with other 'anointed' ones, eg, get Branch overseers around the world to supply the names of a few 'reputable' anointed ones and get their opinions and interpretations before finalising any new interpretations or 'new light'. Then they could claim that the 'faithful and discreet slave' - at least other than just the old boys club at Brooklyn - was having some input into the spiritual 'food' being administered.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The GB has had varying numbers, up to about 18. I know a lot of JWs that always assumed there were only 12 GB and that it was supposed to be that way because they were a copy of the Apostles.

• blondie
    blondie
    Fancy the Mormons also having a ruling body 'quarem' of 12, just like the GB! Spooky.

There is no # requirement for the GB of the WTS. It has at times been as large as 18 and as few as 11. Before the 1970's, there was no official GB, just the directors on the board which I believe were fewer than 12.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit