John 20:19-21

by I-CH-TH-U-S 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke
    I believe Jesus meant that by his FAITHFUL course, by remaining faithful and keeping his integrity he put HIMSELF in line for a sure ressurrection. So he rightfully can say what he did. Just my thoughts on it. Jehovah, his Father, raised him from the dead.

Glad to see you Derrick! Kinda missed you. I know this as I once thought it and now really do not know what to think. Why do you feel this way? Have you always seen it that way? If not, when the change?

CHL

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Aren't Nark, Leolaia and pete great to have here? I love their input. It must take them hours to write all of their posts every day here. It takes me hours and I post tiny little snippets and only 25 a day at that.

defd, I would like to agree with you, but Joe Malik's explanation seems to wrap up all the inconsistencies pretty well in a nontrinitarian way. Jehovah restored the Logos and the Logos raised Jesus the man in the flesh. In Acts 17 we have Greeks laughing at Paul over the resurrection. If paul taught a spirit body resurrection like JWs believe, why would the Greeks have so much of a problem with that? But if Paul taught a physical, corporeal resurrection, like is hinted at in Luke where Jesus eats some fish and has the disciples touch him to see he was not a ghost or a spirit, well it makes better sense than the JW teaching.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    All three Persons of the Trinity are considered to be involved in any divine activity. For example, in creation, we would not choose between the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit - all Three were involved. But it is said that the act of creation is attributed to the Father - not that the other two Persons were not involved. (Similarly, salvation is attributed to the Son; sanctification or holiness is attributed to the Spirit.) I would suppose that resurrection would be attributed to the Father, though the Son or Logos would be the Father's agent as he was in creation. Interestingly, the Holy Spirit also is said to be involved in resurrection. (Rom. 1:3-4; 8:11)

This is the doctrine of perichoresis, developed by the Cappadocian Fathers, which is one of the most interesting aspects of orthodox Trinitarian doctrine although it rarely reaches the average believer. Modern theologians such as Thomas Torrance have interesting dug into it in the 20th century.

• defd
    defd

coolhand

Thanks for the welcome. Never had a different thought on it.

D.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

hey ithinkisee,

be careful with "Dr." Walter Martin and other cult-busters. They can be as bad as JWs when it comes to stretched reasoning and improvised doctrine.

• I-CH-TH-U-S
    I-CH-TH-U-S

thanks for all the info guys, really helps

• Shining One
    Shining One

He did 'raise the body', unlike what the WBTS teaches: the body was disolved as Jesus was a 'spirit creature'. Not only do they demote and blaspheme Jesus from the Godhead, they teach Gnostic heresy!
    Rex

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Shining One....It never made sense to me how the Society can interpret a clearly anti-docetic resurrection narrative (i.e. touch and feel my hands and feet to see I am not a ghost) in thoroughly docetic terms. Tellingly, in the entire WT CD-ROM, the word "docetism" occurs only once and defines it as "the teaching that Christ never came to earth in human form" (15 July 1990 Watchtower, p. 23), not connecting it to Christ's resurrection. However, the 22 June 1989 Awake! does note that "docetists" claimed that "everything about Jesus' humanity was mere appearance and illusion. This included his death and resurrection" (p. 26). LOL!!

• Shining One
    Shining One

>However, the 22 June 1989 Awake! does note that "docetists" claimed that "everything about Jesus' humanity was mere appearance and illusion. This included his death and resurrection" (p. 26). LOL!!

It is comical and I wonder why it took me so many years to realize their contradictions?
    REx

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi Cygnus,
    Joe Malik hangs onot half of the contradictory teachings of the WBTS. He has a blockage when it comes to realization that Jesus claimed to be equal to the Father, that the early church worshipped Jesus and that the Trinity doctrine is inferred throughout scripture. It is even more solid with the evidence revealed in modern times than it was when the Arian heresy was finally stamped out.
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit