Wife wants my 12 year old to have her own study. Strategy?

by Check_Your_Premises 34 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    Apparantly the rationale behind the study is for this sister to go through the Young People Ask book with her.

That book covers mostly issues that parents should be discussing with their children, not a outside 3rd party. What I see is that your wife and the JWs don't feel you, the parents, can be trusted to indoctrinate your children with the proper WTS beliefs.

As a person who grew up in a family with a non-JW father and a JW mother, I can say that this is designed to limit the parents authority with child, (or at least one parent's authority).

yp p. 320 Practical Answers to the Questions You’ve Been Asking! ***

Questions

Young People Ask—Answers That Work is unlike other books produced for youths. It is the product of discussions with hundreds of youths all over the world. And its answers, based on God’s Word, the Bible, really work! Here are just some of the questions this book answers:

· Why Don’t My Parents Understand Me?

· Why Did Dad and Mom Split Up?

· How Can I Make Real Friends?

· Why Do I Get So Depressed?

· Why Won’t the Kids Leave Me Alone?

· What About Sex Before Marriage?

• Scully
    Scully

You want a "ground rule"?

How about this one: KEEP YOURSELF AND YOUR CULT BULLSHIT THE HELL AWAY FROM MY KIDS.

Scully (of the Say It With A Restraining Order class)

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

The way wifey put it is that "she doesn't listen to this stuff when I talk about it with her". Mostly she is trying to get the girl to quit cocking-off to her, and act more respectful. TONS of eye rolling, loud exhaling, stomping off, slamming doors.

I am attacking it from a different angle, whereby my wife learns to approach my daughter in ways that are less accusatory and confrontational. My wife is very authoritarian, condemnatory, and domineering. She just can't figure out why the girl doesn't just snap to when she screams and yells. I think if my wife learns to be a better communicator, alot of this will go away.

That is the official rationale for all of this. I do appreciate your thoughts on alternative agendas for this whole deal. I will probably have to agree to something if the 12 year old wants it. I will make it as easy as possible for her to back out of. She will be able to come to me, and let me be the bad guy. I will probably want to sit in on these, to reduce the "undermine ubm the dad" component.

My wife knows I am unhappy about the attempts to limit or remove the control I should rightfully have in my own home. Nobody minds me paying the bills. I do that ok. Nobody ever tries to take that one away from me. She has been pretty good about not stepping on my toes. Compared to most stories I hear, she is pretty respectful of me relative to the range of possible dub behavior.

CYP

CYP,

I'm always happy to offer advice, regardless of whether it's implemented or not.

One point I'd like to make with you is your use of the word "study" in this context. To me, "study" connotes critical thinking and analysis, which are never involved in a JW "study." This is not a "study," rather, it's an effort to brainwash someone. And any 12 year old is very susceptible to the brainwashing tactics that will be employed.

This sort of "study" is not in your family's interests. But if your daughter is already brainwashed into believing it's necessary, then you should probably go with it, except that you should insist on attending it so that you can witness firsthand the bullshit this woman will attempt to cram down the throat of your daughter.

Their tactics disgust me. The entire "governing body" should be tarred and feathered, and placed outside a football stadium at half time for use as public urinals.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh
    I think this line of thought might be good for your daughter to hear the responses to. What would she think about this JW's real opinions about you?

Excellent point daystar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit