Anyone read tarot cards?

by manicmama 7 Replies latest jw friends

• manicmama
    manicmama

I was recently given a deck, and since I am no longer a JDub, I know I will not be cursed to eternal damnation and possessed by the demons, I thought it might be fun to give it a go. I have always been quite intuitive and thought this might be a good tool to help me develop it a bit more. Any advice from those that use or any good books to consult?

Manicmama

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I love playing with Tarot cards, though I do it on the computer now rather than muck with the cards themselves. I don't buy that they have any power of any kind, but the cards and their explanations help me to look at things in ways I may have missed otherwise. In trying to find an application of a card to my past (in the context of my question) I have to think about it carefully. Even though the exact same card would apply to someone else completely differently, it helps me to see something about my situation.

I find it to be the most useful if I try to apply every bit of the explanation. I try to bend and twist it to make it fit into what's going on around me. This way I get the maximum benefit from the exercise. (Sometimes I just can't do it and I let a bit of the card go unapplied.)

Good luck, have fun!

Dave

• klinton
    klinton

You're off to a good start, having been given your deck. You need to have recieved them or stolen them, according to legend...hahaha.

• daystar
    daystar

An in depth study of QBLH via Dion Fortune's Mystical Qaballah to begin with.

I took some classes on the Tarot from a local group, which helped quite a bit.

They recommended this book, The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of Ages, by Paul Foster Case, though I have no personal experience with it.

• daystar
    daystar
    You're off to a good start, having been given your deck. You need to have recieved them or stolen them, according to legend...hahaha.

Eh, superstitious clap-trap.

• forsharry
    forsharry

I just bought my first deck last week as well. Guess I'm really testing the waters...teehee! Anyway, I got a box set that included a Universal-Waite deck along with an interpretation book which goes in-depth on card description and potential meaning. I also picked up the "Little Black Book of Tarot Reading" again, it's a small book but very detailed.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I have about 5 sets and I love them all! I have found that some decks work and some don't, you just kind of get a feel for it. I use tarot as a tool, I don't believe that anything is set in stone, but it does help you to know what sorts of trends are going on so that you can make little course corrections when necessary to avoid situations or put yourself in the way of good situations! At the very least they can be very entertaining.

Sherry

• fairchild
    fairchild

LOL, I had never heard of that. There used to be a tarot deck at the store where I worked. When there were no customers, I'd pick up the deck, pull out a card and then read the description in the little manual. Like Dave, I don't really believe in their power either, but they are fun to play with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit