I need help! I'm losing my wife!

by indireneed 26 Replies latest jw friends

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Indireneed;

Welcome , you certainly face a challenge that could have long lasting effects. One angle to refute WT teachings may be to find out which publication she is studying with her personal study conductor. Obtain a copy for yourself and be inquisitive as to what chapter she is currently looking into and kindly disprove any thing you can. It will be a lot of work and take a lot of patience on your part but if she's worth having around it just might work. A thesis could be overbearing and considered a direct satanic attack, yes they do use that, then the stone wall goes up. Again, most here have very good ideas, please stay around and keep us posted.

HCM

• Flip
    Flip

Sorry to hear about your plight indi’, it’s real, and it’s frightening.

From my experience you might try looking at your wife’s situation from a slightly different perspective, although the view is not pretty and it can be discouraging.

There’s a good chance that your wife is looking at associating with Jehovah’s Witness for social reasons rather than doctrinal ones. Any amount of trying to explain doctrinal goof-ups by the WTB&TS as a way of persuading her intellect will fall on deaf ears.

More importantly she may have seen or found something in the communal ‘spirit’ within the congregational group that she has met which lights her fire, something she’s missing in her own life, including something you can’t offer socially.

Unfortunately this is a sign of ‘cult’ influence, which may be a difficult psychological problem for your wife to visualize let alone over come.

I just wanted to stress, you could be wasting your time trying to influence her decision with doctrinal issues. It’s the social magnetism, which is the most difficult to overcome because its influence transcends logic.

Check out some of the recognized books on cults, their recruiting techniques and what to expect, if not for your wife because it may be too late, for yourself as a source of preparation and confidence for the steps you may have to take one day on your own.

Flip

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

One person I know did this.

Do this calmly. Begin by telling her how much you love her, need her, want to be with her forever. Explain in a calm voice the disturbing things about the Watchtower. Watch the video "Witnesses of Jehovah" together. Tell her you love her, but tell her you cannot live that way. If she wants to be a Jehovah's Witness, you regretfully will get a divorce.

You might as well be truthful, because if she becomes one, and you do not, there is little hope of staying together and no hope of you having a happy marriage.

• claudia
    claudia

Indireneed, why cant she go on vacation?

• qwerty
    qwerty

Indireneed

I hope I can help. I don't know what the other posters have advised, but this is my thought on this.....

Don't push her too much in argumentative way. Be loving and kind and try not to get upset.

You will only be fulfilling what her JW 'Bible' teachers have told her what will happen, in other words they will tell her "Satan will try to stop you from studing". They will ask her what she will be determind to do if this happens! Yes her defences will go up if you push her, because she will think it is one of satan's attacks trying to keep her from learning the truth.

Christian Love,

qwerty

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Another point I would like to make.

This event in your life also brings up how well do you know yourself.

Ask yourself if you are willing to stay in your marriage relationship if your wife joins this religious cult. Can you be happy and can you have a happy marriage if your wife joins a religious cult? Will you still love your wife, and will your wife still love you if she joins a religious cult? Will she still treat you well, will the relationship still be a quality relationship if she is at the kingdom hall four days a week in an elitist religious cult that views outsiders as doomed by God.

So again I say be loving, be kind, be gentle, but be real, truthful, and honest.... with your wife, and *yourself.*

"Hope is a good thing... maybe the best of things."
    Andy's letter to Red in the Shawshank Redemption

"If it's worth feeling bad about, it's worthy of amnesia."
    Richard Bandler, radical NLP therapist

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

tell your wife that when she joins she will have
    to give up all forms of oral sex!

THIS WILL BE THE TRUE TEST

if you suck in bed, i can expect to see my new sister at
    the next district convention

• indireneed
    indireneed

She can't go on vacation because her weekends are all taken . . . I'm a student at business school and I have weekends off but no weekdays.

So, we don't take vacations. Rather, we spend our weekends learning about an angry and vengeful god. If I don't go with her, then we'll have little time together.

Sometimes, just sometimes, we can get away for a weekend if we find another hall. But, and I mean but, this cannot be done often. Our congregation needs us . . .

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

Hello indireneed

Flip's post made a lot of sense. When first encountering the doctrinal issues presented by the borg, they are refreshingly different and intellectually stimulating. They seem to be an alternative to "mainstream" christianity, which rarely supplies satisfying answers to questions such as why do we die? why do bad things happen? Why do people cling to life so desperately, even though they are suffering (ie. chemotherapy) if they claim to believe that they will go immediately to heaven after they die? The concept that there is no "hell".... that was a big one for me.

Combine these enchanting ideas with a continuous onslaught of caring, loving people who are REALLY invested in your coming into their fold. When she attends the meetings, she is greeted by scores of people who radiate concern for her personal welfare, who nod their heads understandingly when she describes "opposition" and explain it as being a common experience among all there... Her exposure to the jw lifestyle is limited to what she can see at THIS point.

In time, however, the steady supportive momentum leading up to her baptism will cease. She will have made her own sacred oath, and she will be pretty much on her own. Discussion of doubts, inconsistencies in the material, etc. are no no's! If she dwells on these subjects, she will be considered "bad association". If she wears weird nail polish, some control-freak pioneer super-sister will "counsel" her. When she hears the same spiritual role model pioneer sister slander and spew negativity about others' shortcomings (how they make themselves look better to themselves), there is no recourse.

When she fails to live up to her commitment (five meetings, three times a week, at least ten hours of captivity in a car with gossipy people per month, enough studying of the current articles so as to give "deep comments", homeschooling all of her children, volunteering time/food/money to any number of "kingdom interests" on a regular basis, several days-long at a stretch assemblies/ conventions per year.... (THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING) then she will be considered spiritually weak.

Unless she is incredibly self-assured and has tremendous amounts of self-esteem, the following may occur:

In desperation for some kind of perceived status at the hall, she will need YOU to become a jw. Sisters with unbelieving mates are always feeling that there's "more going on behind the scenes, what's up with that?" but they aren't in the "club". She will feel compelled once you're in to cajole you to "reach out for positions of priviledge" as in becoming the microphone holder, the magazine hander-outer, the suck-up to the visiting VIP's, acquiring the status of Ministerial Servant, which in time leads to the great priviledge of "Elder". Then life, as you once knew it, is over; virtually every day and night, you will be required to address various and sundry issues ranging from the absurd to the mundane so as to ensure the smooth functioning of the kingdom hall and the congregation. (If things aren't going well, it is a reflection of YOUR spirituality and the CO will want to know what more you can do.)

If you are financially well-off, the possibility exists that you may be able to squeeze in perhaps a weekend or something every couple of years to have "fun". Your marital relationship will have suffered from lack of attention to the extent that you will look at her in the morning and wonder who she is.

Oops... got a little carried away there.... but I don't think that the above is way beyond exaggerated......

Most average jw's do not live this way, but they feel guilty if they don't, so you are screwed, no matter how much or how little you are able to live up to.

This is a tough situation, and there is much good advice in the thread. She needs to make an INFORMED DECISION, which means seeing things from many perpectives, not just the narrow one they're requiring her to restrict herself to.

Please let us know how things go for you, and many here are able to supply you with documentation and research on just about any subject you need information about!

lauralisa

It's only water from a stranger's tear (Peter Gabriel)

• humble
    humble

indireneed:

I would like to offer my help friend. You have been lurking for a while I suppose. You have read what opposers to Jehovah's Witnesses think and what they accuse them of. Certainly everyone is free to express their thoughts. But now I make a suggestion. In order for you to make an educated decision that might affect your relationship with your wife, who you very obviously love. Why not get some insight by speaking with an actual Jehovah's Witness. I am currently serving as an elder in a spanish congregation. I would not mind the opportunity to answer your questions about our organization. Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Friend, I encourage you to take into consideration both sides of the story. We all should have that opportunity.

Sincerely,

Your humble servant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit