Why do they let Children Get Baptized?

by Dune 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Dune
    Dune

So i've been wondering about it recently. I was baptized when I was 11 years old and have been a witness for about 8 years now.

Since I was 11 (yes, since 11) I've been reading the watchtower, doing the mics and all that stuff. I recently learned that even now, the Prosiding Overseer of my congregation thinks that I'm too young to be made a ministerial servant. Now while a part of me wants to be an MS (dont ask), a part of me knew that i'd never be one at least while i was in college, but now i'm learning that it was because of my age.

Now, I've been wondering. If teens and children cant get anywhere anyway, why the hell do they let them get baptized.

Besides from the fact that they cant do anything, these children CANT possibly make a decision at their age. It really makes no sense when i see children as young as 6 and 7 getting baptized. I'm pretty sure that if i wasnt a witness now and had a bible study right now, i'd probably would give my bible study conductor a run for his money.

So what do you guys think about it?

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

because the 6 or 7 year-old has proven himself aright in the way of the scriptures. he has shown that he is mature in the sense that he can resist the temptations of the devil. he knows what being a dedicated servant of God means. and most of all, he wants to prove the devil a liar, now and forever.

yea that's how i feel about it. i can quote it, but i can't swallow it

bethel

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

cuz they think if they can trap us early enough well be stuck forever, i got baptized when i was 13... ha ha, so frickin glad im out..

the infamous one

• Justin
    Justin

While it is unfortunate that people are asked to make a committment at such a young age and then held accountable to an organization and can be disfellowshipped, the phenomenon is similar to what has happened to other groups which oppose infant baptism. In theory, the believer is baptized as a fully accountable adult, but in practice the kids in such churches are baptized around the same age as you describe. Presumably, they have reached what is called "the age of accountability" - but it's not much of an improvement over baptizing a baby. Because there is a conflict between accepting a newborn as a full member of a community and having an adult decide for him/herself, this situation has arisen.

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

Dear Dune,

You sound disappointed that you can't be a MS. If you have been on this web page for any length of time, than why would you even think of doing that.

I believe they like to baptize young ones for the same reason Catholics baptize infants. The younger the better, once baptized you are on the hook for ever more.

By they way, if you really do want to be a MS I would suggest for your own mental health not to read all this material because it will be impossible to do both, eventually it will catch up with you and eat you up inside out.

OC

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

They'll baptize any one they can. It's all about the year end report and showing that positive growth. Forget the fact that many of the newly baptized are too young and immature enough to make educated decisions for themselves.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    If teens and children cant get anywhere anyway, why the hell do they let them get baptized.

I s'pose the answer is that you're speaking of two separate things. Your being baptised has to do with your commitment and salvation whereas becoming a ms or elder or whatever is simply a service appointment. Your eternal life won't depend on whether you had "privileges".

Or that's what the WTS would say!

It seems to me that the WTS has made a structure of classes within the borg that determines how you're viewed by the R&F right now. Salvation can wait - that's future, but right now it's not how God views you that's important to a dub so much as how "the Organisation" views you.

Frankly, if they haven't made you a ms then be grateful, it'll make it so much easier to leave!

• blondie
    blondie

The Age of Accountability and Family Merit

At some point a child is not longer protected by its parent's decision to get baptized. When that child is considered old enough to chose for themselves to get baptized.

But...

The WTS has never set an actual age for that.

So parents worry that Armageddon will come and their child will die because the child is not baptized and God considers them old enough to have made a personal decision. Poof, the child dies.

To be on the safe side, like it is a talisman, many JW parents get their children baptized as soon as possible, as young as 6 at a Chicago convention in the last 5 years.

w79 10/15 p. 16 Sustained by the Millennial Hope ***
    Happily, God-fearing parents who are striving to raise their little ones "in the discipline and mental-regulating of Jehovah," can expect that obedient minors will come under family merit, which can mean salvation for them. (Eph. 6:4; compare 1 Corinthians 7:14.)

w76 9/15 p. 576 Questions from Readers ***
    But is the child able to make personal decisions, able to decide from his own mind and heart (not that of the parents) the course in life he wishes to take? Is he capable of comprehending and seeking a personal relationship with God, one that is not dependent upon his parents? Is he able to stand before a judicial body, accountable for any wrongdoing he may commit? If not, then such child is evidently not in position to be baptized but would continue under family merit in God‘s eyes, counted by him as "holy" in that sense.

w71 1/15 p. 63 Questions from Readers ***

At 1 Corinthians 7:14 the Bible shows that God can consider as "holy" the minor children of a Christian parent. Though they are young and not yet to the point of being personally responsible to Jehovah, their parent is trying to develop in them a love of God and of the way of righteousness. It seems clear that at the time of the destructive war of Armageddon God will preserve them on the basis of the family merit of the Christian parent, even though the children are not yet dedicated and baptized.

• Mary
    Mary
    If teens and children cant get anywhere anyway, why the hell do they let them get baptized.

Easy: so they can hold it over your head the rest of your life. If they only encouraged you to get baptized when you were legally an adult, then that means when you're 16, 17 or 18 and being "rebellious", they couldn't disfellowship you and keep you "in line". Allowing them to get baptized when you're still a child gives the Organization leverage. That means if you commit "fornication" or smoke a cigarette when you're 16 or 17, you can be disfellowshipped. If you're not baptized, they can't disfellowship you and nothing irritates elders more than not being able to disfellowship a rebellious youth.

That's the bottom line hon.

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

They like those hooks in that tender young flesh as soon as possible. That way, the skin grows over them and makes them even more firmly embedded.

Then. when you come to your senses and try to wriggle free, those hooks cause maximum pain, tearing away your family and friends like huge chunks of flesh!

Bull!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit