partypoker.com

by Cygnus 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Wow Simon, you have a complete misunderstanding of one of the basic themes of life.

Everything is a gamble - everything is a risk. But playing poker isn't mere chance, you play with skill. You don't just roll the dice and hope they end up where they need to be. Most of the hands I fold if I don't have to post a blind so I never lose any money. Poker isn't for everyone, but it's NOT a simple game of chance. Describing it so is akin to a creationist saying evolution is nothing but blind chance.

And btw, can I please have 2 new topics and 75 replies?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Everything is a gamble - everything is a risk.

Wrong and wrong.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

nic, provide examples please.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Sure.

I'm willing to bet you £1,000,000 that tomorrow will be a Tuesday. I see no gamble or risk in that wager. I will also bet another £1,000,000 that you will not take me up on my first bet.

Need I go on?

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

OK but that's got nothing to do with life, it just so happens that the sun rises and sets and we came up with a calendar with names. I'm talking about decisions and life's activities. For instance, when you lay your head on the pillow tonight and go to sleep, can you guarantee me 100% that you'll wake up to see Tuesday? No... you could die in your sleep, robbers could break in and kill you, etc. You take a risk everytime you go to sleep that you'll see the next day. Sure the next day will arrive but that's just a construct (WWIII could happen, the whole world could be blown up tonight, an asteroid or meteor or comet could come out of nowhere and wreck the earth or the moon and [removed]"Tuesday"). The likelihood of any of that coming to pass is very small but it's still there.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Risk assessment is a profession in it's own right. There are levels of risk ranging from the acceptable to the absurd. Gambling my hard earned money on an online poker game? Well I know which category I would place that in.

• Simon
    Simon
    Everything is a gamble - everything is a risk. But playing poker isn't mere chance, you play with skill

You contradict yourself in the very next sentence!

And no, going to sleep is not a risk ... there is a chance that you don't wake up the next day or are robbed ... but you mitigate risk by locking the door and turning the over off etc ...

If you believe everything is just chance ... well then, you give up all responsibility and with it the rewards of applying yourself.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

All I was saying was, I enjoy playing poker for free since I'm stuck at home, and it is a game of skill, not mere chance. Sheesh guys, settle down. edit: and I said MERE chance. Sure there's some luck involved, like if I have pocket aces and an ace comes up on the river. But having pocket aces gives me a good chance of winning, if I know what I'm doing by betting appropriately. There's some skill involved as well as luck. If I'm dealt a 2 and 4 off-suit I'm likely gonna fold. But three 2s and two 4s might show up and I could have won. This is like explaining evolution to a creationist...

• Simon
    Simon

I know what Poker is ... interestingly, although luck is involved somewhat it is one of the card games where the best player is most likely to win. ie. it's not just about luck

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Thanks, Simon, for saying that. I don't want people to think I'm betting away my life's savings (which is $0.00). I appreciate you recognizing that the game is not all luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit