The Grape Cure (Cancer) WTS

by blondie 10 Replies latest watchtower medical

• blondie
    blondie

When I was growing up, if a JW was diagnosed with cancer (or a non-JW family member) they would start eating grapes. Being a JW born in the 50's, I had never read anything in the publications on this (or the danger of aluminum--another story), so asked where they had read it. If anyone has the Golden Age or a scan of the endorsement by Fred Franz, that would be nice.

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/ruthoccult.html

2. The Grape Cure

The Grape Cure was a book and medical plan endorsed by the Watchtower Society. Dr. Roland Jones was one of Rutherford's doctors who endorsed the Grape Cure. Several others of the board of directors (now called the governing body) endorsed the book and cure including Fred Franz who endorsed it in writing.

According to Roy Goodrich in his Demonism and the Watchtower booklet, "the book has the earmarks of demonism all over it and through it."[17] In a tract on the subject he said the book endorsed astrology and other occult practices and ideas. The author, Joanna Brandt, claimed to have become "super-conscious" and had "unerring 'hunches'" and came in touch with her "subliminal self". The book was therefore a result of "divine illumination" she said.

The Society's endorsement of this book can be explained by their belief in medical radiesthesia. The book promoted the idea that the grape was "magnetic" and "pep[ed] up your mind" as is was "charged with the magnetism of the Sun." The "vibrations of the Sun" are contained in the grape and eating grapes allows you to obtain these "vibrations" in concentrated form, while meat-eaters only get "animal vibrations" from the animals they eat! [18]

18. Goodrich, Roy, The Spook Cure, n.d..

The Grape Cure by Johanna Brandt is still around today in the non-JW world and has been passed on by JWs in the 1920's and 30's to JWs today, many their children and grandchildren.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I seem to remember hearing that phrase from my mother while growing up..."the grape cure." I remember her going on grape/grape juice fasts when she wasn't feeling well. Is THAT where she got it from? Hmmm...Thanks for the info, Blondie.

~Merry

• Mulan
    Mulan

I remember that too. I think we had the book calle The Grape Cure.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I don't have any Golden Age mags, but I was able to find one specific reference to the grape cure in the GA cited on-line, if that helps someone who can look it up:

...I happen to know that those who are using the exclusive grape diet in connection with other therapeutical measures (such as hydrotherapy, electrotherapy and spinal stimulation, etc.) are much more successful in the treatment of cancer cases...
    - The Golden Age 12/11/1929 p. 180 Emphasis ours

--from http://www.ajwrb.org/watchtower/data2.shtml

~Merry

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

You have a PM.

• bagpuss
    bagpuss

A sister in the cong I was in went on the grape diet every year. For two weeks she ate only grapes and drank nothing but boiled water. She told me that if you had started to develop cancer this was a way to cure it. I never knew where this idea came from till now.

• demeter
    demeter

I remember my Grandmother giving that book to a friend who was into grape fasts. I had no idea it was related to the society. I would have liked to read it just to see what it had to say. The book sounds quite strange.

I have been reading some though, that indicates that grapes do have some properties that are helpful to prevent or cure cancer, also heart disease. Especially red grapes. Also, tomatoes and certain other fruits and vegetables are reputed to have some of these same healing nutrients. My own Physician advised me to "eat like a vegetarian" because of high cholesterol.

• demeter
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

One thing that has struck me about this is that now red grapes are recognized as a source of some of the most powerful antioxidants.

Red or Purple grape juice contains all the health benefits of red wine, but without the alcohol, which some people may prefer to avoid. On the other hand, the juice is LOADED with carbohydrates, which others may prefer to avoid.

Fortunately, it has been found that the grape skins and grape seeds - which used to be considered garbage - are even richer in antioxidants than the juice, Both the skins and the seeds are freeze-dried and pulverized, and the skins powder can be consumed as a loose powder mixed with a beverage. the seed powder is typical encapsulated, or the seeds may undergo an extraction process and the dried powdered extract is encapsulated.

So the author of the book may have "been onto something," but I doubt any claims she might make of divine revelation.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I remember this. My mother followed it until she was under 90 pounds. No wonder JWS do not want the history of their organization exposed.

Agree however the author was ahead of the times but am sure God did not inspire the book..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit