To all the JWD Friends in Texas

by Eyebrow2 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Hello, fellow Texans! You guys probably already are aware of Prop 2 that is on the Ballot here in TX. But, I wanted to just put a reminder out there. Everyone here that really believes in equal rights, PLEASE, don't forgot to vote in the upcoming election to knock Prop 2 down.
    A summarization of what is on the ballot statewide can be found here: http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/2005novconsamend.shtml

Prop. 2 HJR 6 Ballot Language "The constitutional amendment providing that marriage in this state consists only of the union of one man and one woman and prohibiting this state or a political subdivision of this state from creating or recognizing any legal status identical or similar to marriage." "Enmienda constitucional que dispone que en este estado el matrimonio consiste exclusivamente en la unión de un hombre y una mujer y que desautoriza, en este estado o en alguna subdivisión política del mismo, la creación o el reconocimiento de cualquier estatus jurídico idéntico o semejante al matrimonio." Brief Explanation HJR 6 would provide that marriage in Texas is solely the union of a man and woman, and that the state and its political subdivisions could not create or recognize any legal status identical to or similar to marriage, including such legal status relationships created outside of Texas.

Why should you care if you are not gay or do not have friends or family that is gay? For me, I think this proposition is a giant step backwards in civil rights, and could lead to further erosion of rights just for single sex couples. This proposition could lead to an individual having their end of life preferences be ignored if the only person trying to uphold those rights are their same sex partner. (Sometimes things happen when a power of attorney is not enough, or hasn't been wrtten up yet). I think this prop passing is a step in the wrong direction. I don't have any close friends or family that are gay (or at least that I know about), but I think this prop is bad for the state. This to me seems to be a very basic right that the government is sticking their nose into. It is one thing to fight over whether we should refer to a same sex couple that wants to get married as being a marriage or a civil union, but it is another thing altogether to go out of the way to make it unconstitutional. Doesn't the goverment understand that stable life long relationships are GOOD for the state and country? And another way you could look at it is this: when we stop harrassing gays and lesbians about their private lives, maybe we can get back on track with focusing on important issues like education in this state. If you agree, please make sure you get out and vote...check with your county and city...here in my county we have early voting, it may be the same in your area, so most people should be able to find the time. Oh, of course if you think Prop 2 should pass...well just stay home. (just kidding...) Again, this is all my opinion, which is based very much on my humanist beliefs. I realize not all will agree with me, and I respect that. If you feel you must post why you disagree here, I just ask that everyone debates it in a respectful manner. (sorry if the formatting is bad...I just cannot seem to get it right today)

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Voting is agin my religion...

Thanks Eyebrow. Ive heard thats an important prop.

Obviously there is no proof to the claim the prop could nullify all texas marriges? Fearmongering?

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I don't think there is danger of it nullifying marriages between a man and woman, so that is probably fear mongering, I agree with you there...

• magoo
    magoo

.........uh.....wait.....calling elders to ask if this vote is one of those matter of conscience votes......no, it's not...oh, o.k.,thanks.

sorry won't be voting on this one

magoo

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

While there may be a little fear mongering....there may be some substance behind it.

In Ohio for instance due to a similar vote....women in common law marriages were not able to file domestic violence charges against their common law husbands. Also, various other domestic issues were complicated by a law such as this.

There have been other instances in other states where it has become a problem. Unfortunately, one would not know the full ramifications of this until state judges rule on it someday in the future. I guess I do not understand why folks would care what other people do in a committed relationship. "Gay marriage" has been common place now in Mass. and the sky has not fallen. The divorce rate has not skyrocketed, and God has only sent hurricanes to "red" states considering such bigoted pieces of legislation. Perhaps he's trying to send a message to you "red" state folks?

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Magoo,

I am not trying to tell anyone what to do. I am just saying to those that feel prop 2 is wrong to please remember to get out and vote.

Engima...in TX you can file paperwork for a common law marriage; it is just a little less than the marriage fee in many counties. Kind of funny to me. I figure if you are going to bother with the paperwork, just pay a few dollars more hahah...they say it is supposed to give you the same protections and obligations, but I am not sure how true that is.

God has only sent hurricanes to "red" states considering such bigoted pieces of legislation. Perhaps he's trying to send a message to you "red" state folks?
    Oh, I didn't realize there was a left wing of the Southern Baptist Convention.
  • Rabbit
    Rabbit

Eyebrow,

Thank you for 'beating me to the punch' once again...I was going to make a post similar to yours today addressing my fellow Texans, too. This a very important vote. In my opinion, Proposition 2 should be voted down.

It is patently unfair for any group of people to force their sexual views upon another group, to the point of disallowing even 'civil unions.' Some of the things gay or lesbian couples face is 'end-of-life' issues, inheritance and medical treatment issues. Even with 'Power of Attorney' and properly signed Wills & Medical Directives, family member have gone to court and successfully gone against the wishes of homosexual couples, because they have no 'legal' standing.

If Proposition 2 is passed it could be devastating.

Here's an example: There are as you know, many X-JW's that are gay/lesbian, here on this board and others. Shouldn't they be able to make the decision about who they want to leave property to in their wills and who should be responsible in medical emergencies ? Or should their JW parents or other relatives be able to legally come in and take those rights away ? Perhaps not allowing a needed blood transfusion ? Especially, if the medical directive was not written or could not be found or not properly signed.

As a JW for over 30 years I was taught to abhor and absolutely hate anyone who was homosexual. I myself, turned in one of my best friends when I found out he was gay, over 25 years ago -- he was instantly disfellowshipped. He already suffered from depression and I've often wondered what happened to him after his family, all of his friends and all of his support system was suddenly taken away. I've done internet searches to try and find him to apologize -- I've never found him.

I did my Jehovah's Witness "Duty" at one time to my regret. Now, my "duty" is to be fair and understanding and accepting of my fellow humans. My wife and I will do our "duty" on November 8th -- by voting "NO!" on this very bad attempt to control people's lives.

As a Witness, we were all under that kind of control. No more. We now make our own choices, back then, we did not get a 'vote' on how our religion viewed issues -- we were TOLD what we had to believe. No more. We get a vote now...so, please...get to the polls on the 8th and help undo some of the hatred that JW's and other right-wing Bible thumpers have meted out.

We can make a change for the better.

The Rabbits (of the voting class)

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

bttt

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Just a reminder to vote on Tuesday !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit