new to board

by Pablo Picasso 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pablo Picasso
    Pablo Picasso

hello, this is my first post to this board. I'm a married 24 year old male, i've been married for 2 1/2 years. My wife and I are in the process of trying to get out of the WTS, presently we live on the east coast of the US, but are planning to move to the west coast in 6 months. When that happens we will never attend another meeting. My parents are pretty active, my mom is a pioneer and completely brainwashed while my dad is a MS, but is much more down to earth. My wife and I have problems with many of the teachings as well as the attitudes displayed by the elders, pioneers, circuit overseers - basically anybody with any power. We had been very depressed about all of the stuff we have been finding out about the WTS, but now we are ready to start out with a fresh start!

• juswonderin
    juswonderin

may I suggest reading "Feeling Good" by David Burns.
    All or nothing thinking is extremely destructive. It will hinder you throughout your whole life (religiously speaking and in every other way).
    Just a thought.

• Pablo Picasso
    Pablo Picasso

all or nothing? I'm sort of confused as to what you mean. My wife and I just don't want to be a part of the WTS anymore and have decided to "fade away". We aren't looking for any substitute or anything like that. We are both in college, work full time, and are very happily married. We were depressed about what we had found out (and all very documented), but that is only one aspect of our lives...

• Gopher
    Gopher

Pablo,

Welcome to the board! This is a good place to "air out" your feelings. You'll find support for whatever you're going through, both here and in the chat room. You may have noticed, people here are generally unafraid to share their feelings!

Probably good that you're fading away as you are. If you dropped out right now, they'd come looking for you. Out on the west coast, they don't know you so you won't be bothered. Then you can build an array of friends who like you for what you are, not for how "spiritual" they or their friends judge you to be!

Stick around for a while, enjoy it.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Pablo,

You don't need me or anyone else to tell you this, but you're doing the right thing. You will one day be surprised to look back and think, "that was so long ago."

Best wishes to you and your wife! ..and, hey! GREAT paintings, dude!

• Escargot
    Escargot

Read Ray Franz two great books and call me in the morning.

"Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection, send my credentials to the house of detention, I got some friends inside.....”
    The Doors

• Ray Skyhorse
    Ray Skyhorse

Welcome to the Board, Pablo Picasso (I like you username). You can find a lot of information on this board and you can meet some very supportive people here as well (beware--there's also some jerks here). I was never part of the Borg Collective. I come here to learn more about the Borg and for the emotional support. I'm currently trying to get my wife out. It's not an easy process but in time I think I will prevail. You can read my story in this section entitled "How I Married a Borg". I'm looking forward to reading your posts. I'd like to hear more about how your initial doubts about the Borg developed. Who had doubts first, you or your wife?

Sincerely,
    Ray

• Pablo Picasso
    Pablo Picasso

Hi Ray - there are so many experiences, things i've encountered that have sort of soured my thoughts towards the WTS. My first negative experience happened when i was 15 - my mom found some pot in my drawer and instead of handling it within the family (i wasn't baptized), she made me go to the elders. I was removed as a publisher at 15 years old! Slowly I began to realize that the only thing people care about is what people think - R rated movies, sideburns, beards - nothing about what the bible says. Anyway, i started dating a girl in my senior year and basically did everything except sex. I figured I was dead at Armageddon and it didn't matter anyway. But i still believed it and went to meetings. I slowly started reading stuff on the web, and sharing little things with my wife (her story is very long too...) and she liked what she was hearing. She asked me finally "do you believe all of this" and i said NO. We decided to get Ray Franz's book and after i was done reading it, i felt sick inside, and we both decided to get out ASAP.

• Pablo Picasso
    Pablo Picasso

I forgot to mention that I am baptized now - I got baptized in 1993

• gladiamout
    gladiamout

I too had a bad experince at the hands of "brothers & sisters" I got to the point where after every meeting I would go home crying,crazy huh? Finally I thought why are you puting yourself through this and I never went back and I am really living my life happily and not worring about someone looking over my shoulder to catch me at something so they can turn me in. Bunch of tattle tails! I never got turned in for anything but felt like they were always watching just incase and always hoping to find something on me I'm sure you know the feeling. they need to take the rafter out of their eye to take the splinter out of mine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit