My Personal Ad - Update 11/4 see end of post

by Cygnus 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Sorry I had to start a new topic but the board's software is not allowing me any replies and with all the newer people here they might want to get to know a little about me.

I was raised in a JW household that wasn't terribly strict, but strict enough where I had no worldly friends and wouldn't even consider college or extracurricular school activities. Baptized at 17. That and getting married just after turning 20 stunted me emotionally and I'm still recovering, though I think I'm doing an okay job.

Started working in my father's business and pretty much took it over when he retired and moved to Florida in 1995.

Quit associating with JWs in 1997 at age 25. JW wife left me on the advice of the elders, but she came back 5 months later.

Grew my hair very long and pierced my ear.

In spring of 2000 two elders came to my house under the pretense of inviting me to the Memorial. "Thanks but no thanks." They then informed me that the real reason they were there was to serve me notice that a judicial hearing was being scheduled and I was asked several times to either attend or put something in writing that I was no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I chose to attend the hearing. The charge against me was fellowshipping with a disfellowshipped person. My defense was mainly three instructions and statements from the Society: 1) the Flock book says that if a person has not associated for some time, the matter may be held in abeyance until such time that the person wishes to continue worshipping as a JW, and 2) a 1987 Watchtower which gave an experience of someone who committed a DFing offense but hadn't been associated for some time, so no judicial action was taken, and 3) the watchtower.org website said that persons who simply left the religion are not shunned.

I was told "the Flock book says MAY," "some alleged website is not our authority," and the 1987 Watchtower was simply dismissed as irrelevant.

This all was fine by me as I didn't care if I was DF'd. I even brought my DF'd friend with me to the Kingdom Hall. When the elders asked what he was doing there I replied, "He is here to testify on my behalf that under no circumstances does he ever associate with me at any time whatsoever." Which of course was silly cause we drove there together. The elders didn't find it amusing.

Anyway, aside from the JW nonsense, I like to think that I am the type of person who is a good listener, offers wise advice when asked, and will volunteer my time or resources to friends or family in need. Recently, I have become the person in need, as in June I was diagnosed with bilateral radial palsy -- essentially my hands, wrists and fingers don't work properly. So I've been unemployed for quite some time and am hoping I will qualify for social security benefits.

My interests are golfing, playing guitar, and watching hockey games (I live in Buffalo). Hopefully when the hands come back I can get my chops back too. I still have a passing interest in religion/christianity but it's purely academic. I would like to think life has a greater meaning than "70 or 80 years" but I have found nothing convincing.

I can be quite stubborn when I feel I'm right about something. I have also learned over the years that if a disagreement isn't going to kill anybody, sometimes it's best to just acquiese to the other party.

I have a relationship with a girl I met online quite some time ago and is registered here as caty, She's the most interesting, fun, smart person I've ever met.

I cherish all the friendships I've made since becoming internet-wise in 1/97. And I greatly miss those who I no longer communicate with.

What's a personal ad without pics? Here's me maybe 5 years ago with the Great Mullet:

And here is a more recent pic:

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Cygnus - be proud of two things:

leaving the Jws for an intelligent reason - legitimate doubt,

and losing the mullet!

• Jordan
    Jordan

I sooooo want a mullet right now!

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Cygnus,

Enjoyed the JW story. My wife left me while we were still JWs, still don't know why but it worked out for the best for both of us I think.

Did you get your bicycle fixed? I just came in from a ride on mine, although I'm almost 70 now I still enjoy a ride. I've had this one for 33 years and it still is the easiest to pedal I've ever seen. I have an extra one I would give you if you were nearby.They are both 10 speed. Hope your health gets back to normal and you can get disability so you can enjoy life again.

Ken P.

• inquirer
    inquirer

regarding Cygnus' hairstyles

Leave the mullet alone! It's personal identity!

It amazes me how people criticize "past fashions" 1960's, 70's and 80's. People use to experiment more back then. I couldn't give a stuff if someone has a mullet, long sideburns, flairs, long hair + beard, tattoos (not so keen on them), hair combed in front... Now people are really boring and don't do anything like that anymore because people criticize all those eras that I talked about. I wouldn't be surprised in 20 years time they look back at our time and see how boring we all look.

I hate really short hair, I prefer the mullet, you look metal to me, but to me it looks better. Some people rarely look good with short hair (or bald) like Stone Cold Steve Austin - But it looks like a ten pin bowling ball!

99's hairstyle is as short a woman's hair should be! I love that hairstyle! Looks really sexy -- oops! Can't do your hair like that anymore -- say with a really panzy voice "that's so yesterday."

Cool me stupid, but I am a big fan of Doctor Who (they are playing the whole series at the moment in Australia) and I am surprised to know that the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) and the 5th Doctor (Peter Davison) both have sideburns! Never noticed it before! Probably because Tom's hair is so curly it hides the 'burns. And because Peter's hair is so blonde it doesn't show on screen properly and he has it longer at the front -- his sideburns are very long on his face too!! Never noticed it before!! HAVE A LOOK NEXT TIME YOU WATCH PETER DAVISON IN DOCTOR WHO AND YOU'LL PROBABLY GET SHOCKED TOO!

Graehme (sorry about the spelling -- all the Brits are obsessed with things like this!) Garden in the Goodies -- well his sideburn is practically a beard! I loved the way people dressed back then! :) Much more fun!

I heard this radio personality "burnt all his photos" that have "big afro's." And I was thinking to myself -- get a life! It's something you did when you were young! And it's only because of this crazy "2000 ones" era that puts a ban on everything that makes you feel like this! People these days should seriously get a life!!

• twinflame
    twinflame

Nice to meet you Cygnus. I have to agree with Crumpet's comment about the mullet. You look much more handsome now.

• inquirer
    inquirer

Now Jerusalem is destroyed! ;)

• Jordan
    Jordan

I was serious about the mullet. I nearly grew one a while back(Going through a retro phase), but I don't like it when my hair begins to get long...

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

The 80's are already considered retro? Good God kill me now.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

The 1980s are definitely coming back. Look for longer hair on men, styled, not the pseudo-Peter Brady mops we see today, bell bottoms on their way out and tight fitting Levis around the ankles and butt, polo shirts, and guys only wearing one damn earring. Well.... one can hope anyway.

I miss my long hair a lot, but shaving it all off definitely is easier and more comfortable.

Oh and Ken, my bike's ok but it's gonna start snowing here any minute so I'm gonna start hitching rides soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit