BIBLE - Inspired Word of God?

by Billygoat 13 Replies latest jw friends

• jelly
    jelly

Is the bible inspired?

To some extent I think yes. I think of the Hebrew scriptures as being a great deal of myth mixed in with some history and some nationalistic propaganda. Another thing to remember is that we have lost the context that many of the bible books were written in and what we are really getting is different translators interpretations of what they believe the bible is saying.

Even with all the drawbacks the basic message of the bible comes through:
    (1) God started the creation process
    (2) Man became estranged from God
    (3) We need Jesus in order to be reconciled
    (4) And through Jesus we see how we a supposed to act towards others

Reading this back to myself I realize this makes me sound much more 'religious' than I really am, however I do think the bible was inspired in a sense that it was written to convey a simply straight foward message, and it does accomplish that. I also realize that there may be many parts of the bible that are not 'inspired' but were simple additions by men.

Jelly

• JanH
    JanH

The most astonishing fact about the Bible is the veneration and worship many believers subject it to. And when the believers read it -- if the actually read it -- it's as if the words do not mean what they usually do. Believers typically read all sorts of cultural and religious baggage into the texts they read, failing to grasp even the simplest message actually conveyed in it.

For example, sit down and read the so-called synoptic apocalypse, which can be found in Mt 24, Lu 21 and Mk 13. Yes, it's where Jesus allegedly foretells the end of the world. JWs are extremely enthusiastic about this text, and read it over and over again. Every JW knows Mt 24:14 by heart. Yet, even the simplest message in this text is systematically distorted by the reader, and this includes even many trained Bible scholars (the question "trained where" may explain that). We have for example Jesus saying "When YOU see this..." In the scenario, he is talking directly to an audience in 1st century Jerusalem. He says it will ALL happen in "this generation", over and over again. But do JWs, or practically any other religious denomination, actually believe that the text means what it says? Of course not.

The same could be said about every part of the Bible, from the first words in Genesis and onward. This is the only explanation why the Bible is taken seriously, and many even think it is a divine revelation. People don't read it, or, if they read it, they replace the words in the text with their own religious ideas.

The Bible is filled with ancient myths, absurdities, self-contradictions, pure hatred and the most vile acts imaginable, most performed in the name of the God who allegedly "inspired" the text.

If there was a God, and he was anything but the most evil and sadistic being in the universe, he'd struck down in anger anyone who came up with the absurd idea he had anything to do with writing and publishing the Bible, one of the most hateful books in existence.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The DevilĀ“s Dictionary, 1911]

• Faraon
    Faraon

Francois,
    Not only that, but in Timothy's region, and at that time, more than likely it was the Septuagint's version which was used. This version includes the extra books used by Catholics in their bibles, but rejected by JWs and Protestants.

JRP

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Thank you everybody for your comments. I am currently attending a Protestant church that encourages questioning like this, but they can't always provide the answers. I don't expect them to. They're mine to find. I love the fact that I am "allowed" to just question. Pretty wonderful! But your viewpoints and opinions are awesome to hear. Some things I never thought about.

Jelly - I like your simplistic explanation. I have a tendency to complicate things!

Francois - that was the EXACT scripture that I was thinking about! Thank you for your words!

Andi - still searching...and questioning...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit