Can the Jehovah's Witnesses society be sued

by caz 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

good point, exjdub. I know of JWs that are have been trying to collect from the WTS over an injury on WTS property for the last 5 years.

Here in the US, we tend to be a litigious society thinking that is the only means of redress.

I would first concentrate on individual JWs rather than taking on the organization especially in abuse cases. But remember still there has to be documentation that can stand up in court.

If you want to hurt the WTS, if you are attending still, stop donating and find subtle ways to get others to stop.

If you are not still attending, plant a seed of doubt using some of the issues discussed on JWD. Help non-JWs see the true nature of what the WTS teaches so that they can help themselves or others.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Has anyone seen the movie NORTH COUNTRY?

based on a true story
    the class action suit was not looking for MONEY, but internal policies & actual laws to be changed.
    and it was mounted by a woman.

when most people see injustice and behaviour unbecoming to a human being, they can only ignore it for so long.
    these JW issues, have merit and should be brought out in the open - Let the public decide !

wp

• SKYHIGH
    SKYHIGH

YOU COULD ALWAYS TRY SUING YOUR PARENTS, MENTAL CRUELTY AND ALL THAT . ONE WAY TO STOP THE JOVA'S GETING THE MONEY.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

It would be extremely tough to win...anyone can sue. Religion is protected by the law even more so than employers. I read about a case that was lost recently, and I believe they had been trying to win on similiar grounds. The court said they had been free to leave at any time and the religion was not responsible for their loss of friends, etc.

I knew of a case where a woman (sis) was being interrogated in the backroom and she got very upset over how the elders were dealing with her...(I don't know, but I really think she pulled a fast one...good for her!) and she started crying hysterically and ran out of the room, called the police and told them that these guys were abusing her! (I don't know all the specifics) Her non-witness husband was beside himself to say the least...they went to the local media...she was threatening a lawsuit and before you know it, the paper announced that WTS had settled out of court with her. (If more people did that, I wonder if they would change their policy on 3 men against 1? Especially taking a woman/child back there alone!)

That's probably the best way to get them to pay, if you are still in!!!

There is an attorney who is filing a class action lawsuit for abuse victims that posts here and may be able to give you some good advice.

Swalker

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    The WTS puts a layer of responsible people between them and the rank and file, the elders. Thus will this person be suing an individual elder or body of elders

Good point Blondie-I am demanding all my family's money back and retribution from the local elders who defrauded and abused us.I have ordered the Watchtower by registered letter to disfellowship/defrock numerous elders as a condition for my release.

Meanwhile as the world turns in all time zones i have views on my nearly 40,000 pages.I am giving them a run for their money,i fight fair i warned them in 1992 pre internet that i would get them.Now they are in deep deep bleep.Click my profile for the perpetrators and my ground zero.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Even if an incredibly $killful lawyer is able to to prove "psychological" damages of any kind, the court -any court- would dismiss the case because judges can not over rule decisions from a religious group. As an adult you accepted the church's rules and were just as free to walk away from them.

The legal system can do nothing about your past decisions to live and act according to the WT decreets.

I have a strong feeling that the WT, a charitable organization, indulges in money laundering, after all they earn almost $1 billion/year and they do squat for "charity" and evade taxes. Hopefully the City of New York will get'em sometime soon and take'em to court.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus
    The legal system can do nothing about your past decisions to live and act according to the WT decreets [sic].

I don't think suing the Christian Congregation of JWs or any of their corporations would work. I think the better avenue to take is would be to take your medicine, chalk it up as a learning experience, and move on with your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit