Street work

by pratt1 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I hated it. The "Work" was bad enough when we used to call at doors , but then there was at least a fighting chance that nobody would be at home .

To stop people in the street, or approach them on a park bench was such an invasion of their space that I just knew it was not right. I know how I would have reacted, and that was negatively!.. Mind you , I knew some dubs who would do well at that work. Usually it was the brazen types who never stopped to think of the other person.

lola, .... I reckon your cong. does things different to the way it was done here in my day. We stood in one place and had to talk to a lot more people per hour than in door to work.

If you are really going to do this , I hope that you consider it a worthwhile use of your time, ie giving away mags to people who do not really want them, and if they did read them would only misrepresent the God of the Bible..

One comforting thought that I still have on Saturdays, is that at least I saw sense and I do not have to go out doing that...

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

There were those in my hall that did this type of street work. I never had the privilege myself.

• brooklynNY
    brooklynNY

I live in Brooklyn and morning (weather permitting) I walk across the

• lola28
    lola28

Bluesbrother, all I can say is that I have my reasons for doing this on Sat. No one has to agree with me and no one has to like it, this is a decision that did not come easy for me. The only reason I can do streetwork is because I only get out of the car once maybe twice and that is the only thing that makes it easier for me to go out there. I haven't been door to door in over a year and I have not done streetwork in six months? I never turn in time.Sometimes you have to do things you don't like in order to avoid situations that you are not ready to deal with yet.

Thats all I can say.

lola

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

We had many various forms, some more embarassing than others. I hated what one "sister" called drive-by witnessing. She would drive the streets of my small town until she saw someone walking on the side of the road. She'd pull up next to them and offer literature. I couldn't stand the idea of it. I told her that if this was my old neighborhood in L.A., she'd be pulling shells out of her pioneer-mobile.

I found in street work that we were like the police: At our post for a few hours and then predictably at the donut shop. I had some really good times in service. The best converstations were in Spanish. I learned and grew so much from those. People were more humble and willing to talk. From the perspective of ignorance and bliss, those were some of the best times of my life. The Metrolink station with the morning commuters from 5-8:45. Door to door from 9:30 to 12:30. Calls aka return visits until 3:30. I loved it! So much wasted time.

• defd
    defd

Bluesbrother, all I can say is that I have my reasons for doing this on Sat. No one has to agree with me and no one has to like it, this is a decision that did not come easy for me. The only reason I can do streetwork is because I only get out of the car once maybe twice and that is the only thing that makes it easier for me to go out there. I haven't been door to door in over a year and I have not done streetwork in ; six months? I never turn in time.Sometimes you have to do things you don't like in order to avoid situations that you are not ready to deal with yet.

Thats all I can say.

I dont agree. Jesus said he would rather have you HOT or COLD rather than LUKE WARM. He said he would spit out LUKE WARM.

D.

• lola28
    lola28

Thank you for making me cry Dfed. I am not joking about this, what I am going thorugh is nothing that you can understand. Jesus can do what he wants to and I will do what I need to do. Is that clear?

• twinflame
    twinflame

Lola, sorry you're feeling bad. We all have our reasons for doing what we have to do. You just remember that you have yours, even if someone else doesn't understand.

Along with the field service, I have never missed people passing judgment on others either.

• luna2
    luna2
    Along with the field service, I have never missed people passing judgment on others either.

Amen!

• defd
    defd

Lola I am sorry if I made you cry. I really didnt mean to. I was just stating my opinion without thinking exactly how to word it again. I am sorry

D.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit