When did you realize that Witnesses weren't much better than anyone else?

by JH 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When I joined many years ago, I really thought that they were almost perfect.....*cough*

And then I noticed that many were in their 2nd and 3rd marriage....

After I noticed that many were playing lotto, talking against others in the congregation...

And just yesterday, noticed that some *good* witnesses drive way beyond the speed limit.

So, more and more, I realize that they are just like everyone else, not worse, not better, but just a little more hypocrite.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    I realize that they are just like everyone else, not worse, not better, but just a little more hypocrite.

And more annoying too.

I think that being a witness puts you at a disadvantage in society.

Close minded, fear driven, easily guided drones don't make for productive members of any group.

• lola28
    lola28

JH, funny you should bring this up, yesterday was our service meeting and the special needs talk was about, the problem with people gossiping and the slander that was going on the congregation. Loving org. isin't it?

lola

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I have always known that..I was different in my thinking as a JW.

I just thought I was better dressed than them.

Brooke

• Now What?
    Now What?
    When did you realize that Witnesses weren't much better than anyone else?

Ironically it was totally by accident. I wanted to take this Biblical Greek course. After a week of flipping through the Septuagint, I noticed that they were WAY off on some key points, with a lot of assumptions disguised as 'truth'. However, that was only a crack in the armor. The "pure brotherhood" card was still in play until I hopped online looking for a TMS schedule and stumbled upon http://www.silentlambs.org/

So much for the "pure brotherhood". That's when I realized they were no better than anyone else. I later discovered that they are MUCH WORSE than most, including the infamous RCC.

• Carmel
    Carmel

1950!

carmel

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I never liked or got along with a lot of them and I knew of much of the hypocracy going on..but I didnt put 2 and 2 together until I left and realized the people they said were bad were in fact better.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"When did you realize that Witnesses weren't much better than anyone else?"

*ahem"

Don't you mean ANY better than anyone else?

• thom
    thom

Small things gave me clues over the years. Like when I was about 18 and an elder was telling me how pleased he was that he received a gift of a radar detector. My thinking was, "wouldn't you only need that if you plan to speed (and break the law)?"
    All the little things didn't make it clear to me until I was thoroughly attacked by an elder on a personal vendetta who called in all his favors from other elders. I saw the coverups, the lying, the materialism, the favoritism and the secrecy of so many people at the same time it just all became so clear to me.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When they began to mistreat my family and me while we were undergoing a tremendous set of trials including the whole family being stricken with post viral syndrome. It hurts to even think of how cold hearted they were to us. Maybe someday I will write it all down and post it. So far I haven't because it's too painful to think about. I was baptized at 20 and this all began happening when I was around 30. I'm 47 now. Oh and I realized they fell miserably short of what worldly people and churches were doing for families under such stress. So in actuality, I realized they weren't as good as other people in the kindness area.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit