Overactive Celebrating

by searching4? 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

I could definitely be called an overactive celebrator - although I mostly direct that energy towards Christmas. As someone raised in the JW's my knowledge of that time of year was limited to Society's facts on how pagan it was, Holiday commercials on the TV and the occasional holiday movie that snuck past my parent's radar.

I have no contact with my "blood" family - I have my husband and his family and a large circle of friends that I surround myself with at the holidays. I enjoy Christmas the most because I love to give people presents and I love finding ones that they will love. I also love decorating my home in it's holiday finery. And the music of Christmas never fails to inspire and soothe me. It just makes me happy.

I'm not big into Halloween because I still carry phobias from my JW upbringing - but you can bet I dress up and decorate the house too - just not with anything really scary. I prefer the warm and fuzzy side of the holiday that focuses on horror and death. Ain't that a hoot?

I think that one very important thing the holidays bring me is tradition and structure. I had to reinvent and start all over when I left my former life behind. Celebrating holidays was a way I could ease back into the real world, seperate myself completely from the JW "Lie".

Now I celebrate holidays for their own sake. I look forward to seeing my children grow up free from the JW taint that tries to suck all the joy out of living.

• Kaylen
    Kaylen

I was in the never had christmas or birthdays group and I love them, but that could be I just love any excuse for a party. The first couple were hard though you just have to find a place you feel comfortable.

• Now What?
    Now What?

I am already planning on taking out a loan to decorate the house. Overactive? Nah....

NW?

• enigmatic
    enigmatic

Absolutley! I love Christmas and Thanksgiving. Christmas used to amaze me when I was a little boy (walking thru the mall was quite an experience when your 5 and its Christmas. So now days I am that little boy again on christmas, complete with a train going around the tree lights all over the house and christmas movies and music. My ex-girlfriend used to think I was so crazy, but she did not mind. She got what I missed out on. I missed out so much I'm making up for it now, and love every minute of it. J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit