My Trip......and the hurricanes

by Alana 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Alana
    Alana

Ok.....my husband was supposed to attend a conference next week in New Orleans and my daughter & I were going to join him for the weekend of Halloween. Well, Katrina hit and they rescheduled the conference to Miami....now Wilma is headed to Florida. My daughter says she thinks it's a sign that we are not supposed to travel. Of course my JW mom thinks it's a sign of "The End".

ps.....I hope that any on this board in the affected areas are doing well...anyone in Florida having to evacuate??

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Interesting take by your mom. I knew that wars, rumors of wars, pestilence and earthquakes were signs of the end. . . but hurricanes? I guess if the Jews of Jesus day had found Miami Beach, hurricanes may have been a sign of the end.

• Periodic Bedlam
    Periodic Bedlam

I put up hurricane shutters all afternoon.....25 windows up and down.....I can't move anymore

• G Money
    G Money

My old stomping ground in Mexico was trashed this weekend. I look at photos and see destruction in many familiar places. Pretty sad, I don't think I'll get reports from friends there for a week or so until power and phone service is restored.

• Beachbender
    Beachbender

Cancun got battered pretty good. Now it`s our turn, but we`re getting off easy compared to them. I`m on the east coast of Central Florida, Cocoa Beach area. We`re gonna be ok I`m pretty sure. Periodic Bedlam what part of Florida are you located?? Good Luck, be safe.Thank goodness this is suppose to pass quickly.

• G Money
    G Money

The more I think about it I just get sad. So many good people are in a real bind, people I know. Another place I lived was devastated by a hurricane but there was alot of money there and many were insured. I have met so many that came from Southern Mexico and Mexico to work in the tourism industry. Now they've really got nothing, they had little to begin with but built up some personal posessions and were saving up. now they are stuck, no jobs for a while and much ruined. I'm sure many will go back to Mexico City but others have nowhere to go back to. My realistic estimate on getting things to even 50% of prior capacity is 4-6 months.

I think it can be easy to watch tv and see things and not have them set in until you see news reports of places you've lived, eaten, walked and where your friends are right this minute, sweating, without food, water or utilities and there is nothing you can do to help them. I've seen hundreds of pictures of the area and know where most are. I saw a structure torn to shreds a block from my ex girlfriend's home. I can only hope she and her family are ok.

The good thing about America is that there is more opportunity there. It exists in Mexico but not on the same scale. I hope to hear news soon. I really want to go back to help but I'm still a few hours away by plane.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit