17 reasons why Christianity is a reasonable faith

by Shining One 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Shining One
    Shining One

Hi Morning Glory,
    How much of that cut and paste from some skeptic site is actually backed by scholarship and how much is typical nonbeliever drivel?
    Rex

• kid-A
    kid-A

He waits on the throne of divine providence

Poor guy.....constipated again!!!

• Shining One
    Shining One

Horus and Jesus
    A connection between Jesus and Horus-Osiris is frequently raised by critics of the historicity of Jesus. Superficially, the death and resurrection of Horus-Osiris, and Horus' nature as both the son of Osiris and Osiris himself, appear to be a template for the idea that this occurred in Jesus. However, there is much more to both deities than this, and so such basic comparisons are not terribly persuasive to most academics.
    Deeper similarities between Horus and Jesus, which are not at all obvious to those who are not completely familiar with ancient egyptian mythology and linguistics, have been said by some to mean that certain elements of the story of Jesus were embellishments, which were copied from the Horus as syncretism. Indeed, according to a few more radical scholars, Jesus was copied from Horus wholesale, and made into a Jewish teacher. In particular, it is said that Horus is the basis for the elements assigned to the M Gospel (the bits in Matthew which are not in the Q Gospel or Mark) and the L Gospel (the bits in Luke which are not in the Q gospel or Mark), especially the infancy narratives.

Do you see the term, 'radical scholars'? That means they are not authoritative and are in an extreme minority. This is much like the pseudo-scholars who offer their opinions here so frequently. The fact is, Jesus is historical and not a fictional character, there was also not enough of a time frame for mythology to take hold as the N.T. was being written within a decade of the death of Christ. Even the latest books were completed before the end of the 1st century and some scholars think that all were done before the destructiom of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. None of the books mention this event....
    Rex

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Hey morning glory, yes religions like all aspects of culture evolve form prexisting forms, being adapted to fit new needs and politics. When I first started posting here my posts were much like yours and my disillusion with religion just as deep. After having continued to read and be helped by better informed members here I have a little better understanding of the complexity of Christian origins. So while yes Christianity was a spawn of ealier religious concepts, it really is a gross oversimplification to look for a single source of theses concepts. The first problem is differentiating the ealiest traditions within Christainty from later strata. This itself would take a lifetime of debate and research, and still be impossible to assert. A whole world of Jewish literature should be examined to find to what extent Christianity's doctrine was drawn from there. After having learned a bit more about these Jewish precedents I now feel that Christianity was a very small step away from the theology of Hellenized Judaism especially in Asia Minor which , mind you, drew extensively from nonJewish sources including the Mystery Cults. For many that fact that Christainity had precedents for key doctrines and imagery is sufficient to put the baby to rest, for others the attatchment runs deeper and many efforts are made to dismiss the obvious through rationalization. Stick around this section and other topics will arise that you will appreciate.

• gumby
    gumby

C'mon Rex......you've answered everyone but me. You also accused a poster of copying and pasting......then did it yourself. You bad!

Gumby

• Shining One
  • gumby
    gumby

Rex.....remember ol' "Schizm" who used to post here? You ain't that little bastard are ya?

Is it really? Have you ever taken each part of the passage in question, done word studies on key words, compared the nuances of prophetic language, reviewed the immediate then the overall context? Whole books and paragraphs of commentaries have been written about this section of scripture. It is not within our ability to 'know the day or the hour', as the Lord said.

Forget the damn commentaries and forget the damn word studies. Just take about 25 semi illiterate jews back about two thousand years ago......have em read those verses.......and see what answer ya get.

Gumby

• Shining One
  • lowieke
    lowieke

HI there, Tttttttttt Afer the recent total downfall op science's gurrrrrrStephen Awking ( God does not exist ),maybe we shouldnt give science the credit it demands when it comes to knowing everything and proving everything. I embrace science but there's no worship here. The existence of an entity we call God is just an option. You either believe it or reject it. Science plays no role in it. If science cannot prove the existence, than blame science, not the option. Xianity as we see it today has nothing to do with the early movement 2000 years ago. Roman Catholocism, where it started to go wrong, was a political movement in a pseudo-religious wrapping. Protestants are merely protesting Catholics, branches from the same tree and roots. It's politics. As the re-election of Cowboy George Bush has proven. Evolution and creation ( I would prefer the term organisation of things as the second president of the Mormons would call it), are both options. NO more, no less. About Jesus or Yahoshua, I say this: Robin Hood probably didnt exist either, but everybody understands what the myth is all about, decency in mankind. the Fox

• lowieke
    lowieke

TS, sorry about the errors in the typing, never seen it before on my machine. the Fox

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit