#4 Talk tonight

by RichieRich 13 Replies latest jw friends

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

So the elders, in all their spirit appointed glory, decided to give a talk.

Sadly, I'm too lazy to fill it with apostate and atheistic undertones. So I just did a straight out, boring ass talk. And I know you all wish you could be there to see me, but since you can't, I'll put up a transcript of my talk.

Get some coffee, its a long one.

With Whom Should We Be Tactful?

Tact is the acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending. This word is actually derived from a French word meaning "sense of touch".

Our words are powerful, and can be beneficial, or detrimental. Proverbs 12:18 makes an interesting point about the power of words. READ

Just as a Surgeon learns to handle a sharp scalpel very carefully so he doesn't create excessively large scars or unnecessary incisions, we as True Christians should make it a goal to develop and use tact so that our words aren't injurious for anyone whom we come into contact with.

Galatians 5:22 and 23 tells us about the fruitage we should cultivate as servants of the Most High God. READ The fruitage of the spirit provides a fine foundation for why we should exercise tact. A person who is motivated by love does not want to irritate others; he wants to help them. One who is kind and mild-tempered is gentle in his way of doing things. The person who is peaceable seeks ways to promote good relations with others. Even when people are abrasive in their manner, an individual who is long-suffering remains calm.

Now that we understand what tact is, and why it's essential for us, we must learn with whom to use it and when to use it.

We should exercise tact with all persons whom we come into contact with. Since we represent Jehovah all the time, a slip of the tongue brings reproach on him, and detracts from His message.

There are 2 specific situations where we need to pay special attention to being tactful.

The first is our Ministry.

If we present the Kingdom message in such a manner that others feel we are giving them a lecture, they may resent it. When they have not asked for help and perhaps do not feel the need for it, they may take offense at any implication that they need to be set straight.

Before you say things, consider how they will sound to the other person. Proverbs 12:8 commends a “mouth of discretion.” The Hebrew expression used here is associated with such concepts as insight and prudence. Thus, discretion involves cautious reserve in speech as a result of thinking a matter through so as to act wisely. Verse 18 of that same chapter of Proverbs warns against “speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword.” It is possible to uphold Bible truth without being offensive or hurtful.

The second situation is when dealing with our family, as well as our Brothers and Sisters in the Christian Congregation.

Since tact is an expression of the fruitage of God’s spirit, we should also show tact at home when dealing with family members. Love will move us to show concern for the feelings of others. In some instances, tactfulness in dealing with non-Witness family members may require that we let our conduct, rather than an explanation of our beliefs, recommend the way of the truth to them.

Similarly, the fact that we know members of the congregation well does not mean that we can be blunt or unkind to them. We should not reason that because they are mature, they should be able to take it. Nor should we excuse ourselves by saying: “Well, that is just the way I am.” If we find that the way we express ourselves offends others, we should be determined to change. Our “intense love for one another” should move us to “work what is good . . . toward those related to us in the faith.”

By the way in which we speak and the tone of our voice, we should convey the brotherly affection that all of us should have for one another. Remember, the use of tact is for the welfare of those we love and the advancement of Jehovah’s worship.

• twinflame
    twinflame

Boy, don't I miss those enlightening meeting parts!

• thinker
    thinker

I liked it! Can you send a copy to my JW mother-inlaw? She could really use it!

thinker

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Richie, is it for tonight? If so, let me make just a couple of amendments! Please.

steve

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

knock yourself out

quick though

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Well this is a puking smiliy if your browser cant handle it Peace!!

Sorry Rich, sorry you gotta do that.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

With Whom Should We Be Tactful?

Tact is the acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending. This word is actually derived from a French word meaning "sense of touch".

Our words are powerful, and can be beneficial, or detrimental. Proverbs 12:18 makes an interesting point about the power of words. READ

Just as a Surgeon learns to handle a sharp scalpel very carefully so he doesn't create excessively large scars or unnecessary incisions, we as True Christians should make it a goal to develop and use tact so that our words aren't injurious for anyone whom we come into contact with.

Galatians 5:22 and 23 tells us about the fruitage we should cultivate as servants of the Most High God. READ The fruitage of the spirit provides a fine foundation for why we should exercise tact. A person who is motivated by love does not want to irritate others; he wants to help them. One who is kind and mild-tempered is gentle in his way of doing things. The person who is peaceable seeks ways to promote good relations with others. Even when people are abrasive in their manner, an individual who is long-suffering remains calm.

Now that we understand what tact is, and why it's essential for us, we must learn with whom to use it and when to use it.

We should exercise tact with all persons whom we come into contact with. Since we represent Jehovah all the time, a slip of the tongue brings reproach on him, and detracts from His message.

There are 2 specific situations where we need to pay special attention to being tactful.

The first is our Ministry.

If we present the Kingdom message in such a manner that others feel we are giving them a lecture, they may resent it. When they have not asked for help and perhaps do not feel the need for it, they may take offense at any implication that they need to be set straight.

Before you say things, consider how they will sound to the other person. Proverbs 12:8 commends a "mouth of discretion." The Hebrew expression used here is associated with such concepts as insight and prudence. Thus, discretion involves cautious reserve in speech as a result of thinking a matter through so as to act wisely. Verse 18 of that same chapter of Proverbs warns against "speaking thoughtlessly as with the stabs of a sword." It is possible to uphold Bible truth without being offensive or hurtful.

The second situation is when dealing with our family, as well as our Brothers and Sisters in the Christian Congregation.

Since tact is an expression of the fruitage of God’s spirit, we should also show tact at home when dealing with family members. Love will move us to show concern for the feelings of others. In some instances, tactfulness in dealing with non-Witness family members may require that we let our conduct, rather than an explanation of our beliefs, recommend the way of the truth to them.

Similarly, the fact that we know members of the congregation well does not mean that we can be blunt or unkind to them. We should not reason that because they are mature, they should be able to take it. Niether should we use privalged positions within the congregation to treat, mention, or speak to rudely of others. Nor should we excuse ourselves by saying: "Well, that is just the way I am." If we find that the way we express ourselves offends others, we should be determined to change. Our "intense love for one another" should move us to "work what is good . . . toward those related to us in the faith."

By the way in which we speak and the tone of our voice, we should convey the brotherly affection that all of us should have for one another. Remember, the use of tact is for the welfare of those we love and the advancement of Jehovah’s worship.

• carla
    carla

Were you posting this from Tues night? it's Wed. a meeting on Wed?

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

lol steve.

Its tonights meeting. Wednsday night TMS and Service Meeting.

• Scully
    Scully

I think your comments over the phone to the elder the other day were extremely tactful

typically ridiculous

"Me hating your daughters is not, and should not become a judicial matter. It is however, a judicial matter that you think that the inkling of power that you possess can be used to force me to associate with your asinine children."
    You could use that as an Illustration™.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit