Source of Direct Contribution for Rutherford's House, Beth Sarim

by VM44 41 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• VM44
    VM44

This is a question I have had for over 13 years, since I first found out that Rutherford had a house, named Beth Sarim, built for him in San Diego.

Where did the money come from for the 100 acres of land the house was situated upon, and for the design and construction of the house?

In the Proclaimer's book, it is said that a "Direct Contribution" was made for the house.

But even so, what about the Societies funds used to maintain the house? How could they justify the expenditure of funds to maintain a house for the benefit of an individual, even if the individual was the president of the Society?

There also appears to be something illegal about the funds of a religious organization being used to benefit materially a private individual. I wonder if the statute of limitations for "misappropriation of religious funds" for this type of fraud has run out?

Does anyone have any information about where the direct contribution for Beth Sarim might have come from?

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

The Beth Sarim Deed as printed in "The Golde Age"

alt

alt

• VM44
    VM44

Note the following from the deed:

TO HAVE AND TO HOLD THE ABOVE GRANTED AND DESCRIBED PREMISES unto him, the said Joseph F. Rutherford for his exclusive possession, and benefit for and during his life on earth and at the end of said limited estate then to the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society

So the house Beth Sarim was for Rutherford's exclusive possession and benefit for and during his life on earth.

So we have a gift, a "direct contribution", being used to benefit exclusively Rutherford!

If the gift was to Rutherford, did he pay any tax on the amount, or any real estate taxes on the house and property?

If the gift was to the WTBTS, then it became part of the assets of the organization, and so how could such a significant gift to the society be used for the "exclusive possession and benefit" of an individual?

Either way, I would say that something illegal took place. I wonder why no investigation by the government, at least concerning taxes that should have been paid, ever took place?

--VM44

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Wasn't it revealed in the Bonnie Boyd/Berta Teale thread that a San Diego chiropractor was instrumental in procuring the Beth Sarim property?

I forgot what role he played tho.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Leolaia,

Yes, The chiropractor A.G. Eckols treated J.F. Rutherford’s pneumonia in San Diego, and is said to have purchased the land for the house.

But, it is not clear where the money for the land and house came from.

In Chretien's book, Witnesses of Jehovah, it is mentioned that an architect was hired to design the house, so that is even more money involved that had to come from somewhere!

Notice that Robert J. Martin, The Watchtower plant manager signed the property over to Rutherford and The Watchtower.

Rober J. Martin spent his life working for the WTBTS, and did not have the money himself to have a house designed and built, so he being used to transfer the property over to the WTBTS is a deliberate attempt to hide the source of the original funds. I believe this trick to hide funding sourcing, by using an individual as a front in making the purchase, is also used today when The Watchtower bought property in Brooklyn.

--VM44

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

with out me reading your whole post. i sure i have read. that at the 1920's conventions etc. the wt was asking for special donations. simply for the purpose of building the house of princes that were to come in 1925 or 1929. this was a passing the plate twice ,type of deal... john

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Okay so according to Edmund Gruss, "Doctor" Albert Ernest Eckols of San Diego (the son of Alta G. Eckols) "purchased" the two lots on 4440 Braeburn Road, but we do not know if he was the source of funds or not, right?

Edit: The architect reportedly was Richard S. Requa, a prominent high-end architect in the area.

Here is an interesting remark in the letter addressed to Rutherford by Walter F. Salter:

"Your further abode at San Diego, for which you yourself told me you were offered $75,000.00, but of course it could not be sold and the funds used to help the pioneers because it was deeded to David -- what hypocrisy! ... At the time I was relieved of my duties there was not only a large sum in the bank as customary but also over $25,000.00 in cash was lying in the Society's vaults at 40 Irwin Avenue and had for years, which could be used for the needs of the President or those whom he might designate in case of an international emergency -- and the dear pioneers? Well, of course they could go hungry" (dated 4/1/1937).

Looks like the estate had good value on it! It was valued at $25,000 in 1930.

• VM44
    VM44

Leolaia,

Right, and I do not know if there are any documents still existing that would show the actual funding source.

Possibly, at Brooklyn WTBTS HQ, there might be papers, but finding and gaining access to them would be a problem.

johnny cip,

Interesting, I wonder if the plea for funds was made from the podium only, or if the plea was repeated in some the issues of The Watchtower.

--VM44

• Apostanator
    Apostanator

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I have a copy of the original deed along with copies of other deeds that show the changing of ownership. If you want, you can IM me with your adress and I will make copies and mail them to you.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

it was in writting. can't remember the refence. try the JW RESEARCH. SITE OFF FREEMINDS LINK PAGE I'M PREETY SURE YOU MAY FIND A WRITTEN REFERENCE THERE. JOHN or it may have been on the wt observer site. but it's there. someone will bring it to LIGHT..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit