JWS and Body Piercings!

by kristyann 27 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

This may sound strange, but do JWs have any specific teachings on body piercings? I know that Mormons do... they only allow females to have one piercing in each ear and then they must wear "tasteful, modest earrings"... in other words, I don't think they're wearing big hoops or dangling chandalier earrings... but what do JWs think about piercings? I don't really know. My boyfriend's sister got her eyebrow pierced... and her "JW" parents encouraged it. I found this odd... Does anyone know what the WTS has said about piercings (if anything)? And can anyone recall experiences relating to piercings, things said in your specific congregation about it, etc?

• Legolas
    Legolas

Young People Ask . . .

What

About Body Piercing?

‘ When I first saw people with lips and other parts of their body pierced, I thought "Wow! That’s special."’—Lisa.

LISA is not alone. Increasing numbers of young people are wearing rings and studs through various body parts, even their eyebrows, tongue, lips, and navel. It’s a practice called body piercing.

A 16-year-old named Heather is eager to jump on the bandwagon. She is convinced that a ring in her navel will look "absolutely awesome." Nineteen-year-old Joe, however, already sports a gold barbell through his tongue. And another young girl chose to have her eyebrow pierced because she wanted something "highly visible" that would "freak people out."

The idea of attaching jewelry to the body is hardly new. Back in Bible times, a godly woman named Rebekah wore a nose ring. (Genesis 24:22, 47) When coming out of Egypt, the Israelites wore earrings. (Exodus 32:2) It is not known, though, whether such jewelry was attached by means of ear and nose piercing. Faithful slaves did have their ears pierced, however, as a symbol of their loyalty to their masters. (Exodus 21:6) Piercing has been prominent in other ancient cultures too. Aztecs and Maya pierced their tongues for spiritual reasons. Lip perforation is still widespread in Africa and among South American Indians. Insertion of decorative objects through the nose is common among Melanesians and inhabitants of India and Pakistan.

Until just a few years ago, piercing in the Western world was generally limited to women’s earlobes. But now teenagers and young adults of both sexes are wearing jewelry on just about every part of the body to which it can be attached.

Why

They Get Pierced

Many get pierced because they feel that it is fashionable—the in thing to do. Others feel that it will enhance their appearance. Certainly, the fad has been fueled by the use of body jewelry by top models, sports stars, and popular musicians. And for some youths, piercing also seems to serve as an expression of independence, a quest for individuality, a way for them to say that they are not like everybody else. Observes columnist John Leo: "The yearning to irritate parents and shock the middle class seems to rank high as a motive for getting punctured repeatedly." Dissatisfaction, nonconformity, defiance, and rebellion seem to drive this need for self-expression.

There are even those who get pierced to meet deep psychological or emotional needs. For example, some youths feel that it will boost their self-respect. Some victims of child abuse have seen it as a means of claiming control of their bodies.

Health

Risks

But is all such body piercing safe? Many medical practitioners say that some of it is not. Certainly, do-it-yourself piercing is hazardous. And going to a so-called professional piercer may have its risks. Many lack extensive training, having learned their craft from friends, magazines, or videos. As a result, they may not use sanitary techniques or even understand the risks of piercing. Also, many piercers lack an understanding of anatomy. This is no small problem, since making a hole in the wrong place can cause excessive bleeding. Hitting a nerve can cause permanent damage.

Another serious risk is infection. Unsterile equipment can transmit such lethal diseases as hepatitis, AIDS, tuberculosis, and tetanus. Even when sterile techniques are used, care after the procedure is still essential. A navel piercing, for example, is subject to irritation because it is constantly rubbed by clothing. It can thus take up to nine months to heal.

Doctors say that piercing the cartilage of one’s nose or ears is more dangerous than piercing an earlobe. A newsletter from the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery explains: "Multiple earring holes placed around the top of the ear are a particular cause for concern—serious infections can cause the loss of the entire top curve of the ear. Nose studs also are risky—an infection in this area may involve nearby blood vessels and spread to the brain." Concludes the newsletter: "Ideally, [piercing] should be limited to the earlobe area."

Other hazards are ugly scarring and allergic reactions to piercing jewelry. If rings in very sensitive areas, such as the breast, get caught or pulled by clothing, the piercings can easily tear. Scar tissue formed in the breast of a young girl can block milk ducts, and if she does not seek treatment, she may find it difficult or impossible to nurse a baby in the future.

The American Dental Association recently dubbed oral piercing a public health hazard. Additional risks of piercing the mouth area include choking after swallowing jewelry, numbness and loss of taste in the tongue, prolonged bleeding, chipped or fractured teeth, increased salivary flow, uncontrolled drooling, gum injury, speech impediment, and difficulties in breathing, chewing, and swallowing. When a young woman named Kendra had her tongue pierced, it "swelled up like a balloon." To make matters worse, the piercer used a stud designed for the chin, and it cut into Kendra’s tongue and ripped through tissue underneath. She almost lost the ability to speak.

God taught his people the Israelites to respect their bodies and to avoid self-mutilation. (Leviticus 19:28; 21:5; Deuteronomy 14:1) And while Christians today are not under the Mosaic Law, they are still encouraged to treat their bodies with respect. (Romans 12:1) Does it not make good sense, then, to avoid unnecessary health risks? Nevertheless, there are other factors you should consider besides health.

What

Message Does It Transmit?

The Bible gives no specific command about body piercing. But it does encourage us to adorn ourselves with "modesty and soundness of mind." (1 Timothy 2:9) While something might be considered modest in one part of the world, the real issue is how it is viewed where you live. For example, pierced earlobes on women in one part of the world may be considered acceptable. But in another country or culture, some may take offense at them.

Despite their popularity among celebrities, body piercings and earrings for men have thus far failed to gain general acceptance in the West. One reason may be that these have long been the hallmark of prison inmates, motorcycle gangs, punk rockers, and members of the homosexual sadomasochistic subculture. For many, body piercing has the connotation of deviance and rebellion. A number view it as shocking, repugnant. Says a Christian girl named Ashley: "This boy in my class just got his nose pierced. He thinks it’s cool. I think it’s disgusting!"

Little wonder, then, that one well-known American store has a rule that employees having direct contact with customers are restricted to one earring per ear and that all other visible piercings are banned. "You can’t predict how people might react," explains a company spokeswoman. Career counselors similarly advise male college students applying for a job to wear "no earrings or other body piercing jewelry; women should wear . . . no nose rings."

Young Christians in particular should be concerned that they give the right impression to others, including when they engage in the evangelizing work. They do not want to be ‘giving any cause for stumbling, that their ministry might not be found fault with.’ (2 Corinthians 6:3, 4) Whatever personal opinion you might have about piercing, your appearance inescapably makes a statement about your attitudes and life-style. What statement do you want to make?

Ultimately, you—and, of course, your parents—must decide what you will do in this regard. "Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould," is the Bible’s sound advice. (Romans 12:2, Phillips) After all, you are the one who will have to live with the results.

[Footnote]

By this, we are not referring to the modest piercing that is common and culturally acceptable in many lands. Rather, we refer to the extreme practices that are popular today.—See The Watchtower of May 15, 1974, pages 318-19.

[Pictures

on page 12]

Body piercing is enormously popular among youths

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Yes. Ears is fine. Multiple ear piercings are done, but not encouraged. Other body piercings are "a matter of conscience" stated alongside comments that consider body piercings as mutilation.

I never understood the distinction, because ear lobes are part of the body, too.

Tatooing is also considered mutilation of the body among JWs.

AuldSoul

• Legolas
    Legolas

Bible Principles to Consider

One of the mandates for Christians is to preach and teach the good news. (Matthew 28:19, 20; Philippians 2:15) A Christian would not want to let anything, including his appearance, distract others from listening to that message.—2 Corinthians 4:2.

While such decorations as piercings or tattoos may be popular among some people, a Christian needs to ask himself or herself, ‘What kind of a reaction would such a decoration provoke in the area where I live? Would I be associated with certain fringe elements of society? Even if my conscience were to allow it, what effect would my piercing or tattoo have on others within the congregation? Would they view it as an evidence of "the spirit of the world"? Might it cast doubt on my "soundness of mind"?’—1 Corinthians 2:12; 10:29-32; Titus 2:12.

Certain types of body modifications carry serious medical risks. Tattooing with unsanitary needles has been associated with the spread of hepatitis and HIV. Skin disorders sometimes result from the dyes used. Piercings can take months to heal and can hurt for much of that time. They can also produce blood poisoning, hemorrhaging, blood clots, nerve damage, and serious infections. Additionally, some procedures are not easily reversed. For example, depending on the size and the color, a tattoo can take several expensive and painful laser sessions to remove. Piercings may leave lifelong scars.

Whether or not an individual decides to accept these risks is a personal decision. But one who seeks to please God recognizes that becoming a Christian involves the offering of oneself to God. Our bodies are living sacrifices presented to God for his use. (Romans 12:1) Hence, mature Christians do not view their bodies as their exclusive property to be damaged or defaced at will. Especially those who qualify to take the lead in the congregation are known for their moderate habits, soundness of mind, and reasonableness.—1 Timothy 3:2, 3.

Developing and exercising the Bible-trained power of reason will help Christians avoid the extreme, masochistic practices of this world, which is so hopelessly "alienated from the life that belongs to God." (Ephesians 4:18) They can thus let their reasonableness shine before all men.—Philippians 4:5.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

I have two piercings and although I'm out of the bOrg, I read something about it in some magazine or other. Just to shut people up. From what I remember, the GB talked about all the health risks and how "all piercing and tattoo shops are just full of filth and disease. They also mentioned the impression it would cause upon 'the name of Jehovah' in the face of your neighbors. Of course their worry is how that would make the bOrg look.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

That article makes it appear all tattoo and piercing shops are dirty, backwater, lowlife-infested dens of sin.
    Geez.
    My piercer is a profeesional woman who is anal retentive about her craft and the cleanliness of her shop.

And the reaction to my piercings? Not ann "eww" from anyone. In fact, people thought I had always had my earring.

• undercover
    undercover
    What Message Does It Transmit?

The Bible gives no specific command about body piercing. But it does encourage us to adorn ourselves with "modesty and soundness of mind." (1 Timothy 2:9) While something might be considered modest in one part of the world, the real issue is how it is viewed where you live. For example, pierced earlobes on women in one part of the world may be considered acceptable. But in another country or culture, some may take offense at them.

Despite their popularity among celebrities, body piercings and earrings for men have thus far failed to gain general acceptance in the West. One reason may be that these have long been the hallmark of prison inmates, motorcycle gangs, punk rockers, and members of the homosexual sadomasochistic subculture. For many, body piercing has the connotation of deviance and rebellion. A number view it as shocking, repugnant. Says a Christian girl named Ashley: "This boy in my class just got his nose pierced. He thinks it’s cool. I think it’s disgusting!"

Little wonder, then, that one well-known American store has a rule that employees having direct contact with customers are restricted to one earring per ear and that all other visible piercings are banned. "You can’t predict how people might react," explains a company spokeswoman. Career counselors similarly advise male college students applying for a job to wear "no earrings or other body piercing jewelry; women should wear . . . no nose rings."

Young Christians in particular should be concerned that they give the right impression to others, including when they engage in the evangelizing work. They do not want to be ‘giving any cause for stumbling, that their ministry might not be found fault with.’ (2 Corinthians 6:3, 4) Whatever personal opinion you might have about piercing, your appearance inescapably makes a statement about your attitudes and life-style. What statement do you want to make?

Ultimately, you—and, of course, your parents—must decide what you will do in this regard. "Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould," is the Bible’s sound advice. (Romans 12:2, Phillips) After all, you are the one who will have to live with the results.

Ever notice that most articles counseling on some subject but have no scriptural backing are written like this?

"The Bible gives no specific command." What else is there to say?

"Young Christians should be concerned..." Now the WTS is going to give their opinion and make it sound like it's sound Bible advice when the decision should be solely between parent and youth since there is no specific Biblical command.

"body piercings and earrings for men have thus far failed to gain general acceptance in the West. One reason may be that these have long been the hallmark of prison inmates, motorcycle gangs, punk rockers, and members of the homosexual sadomasochistic subculture." Whatever....they forgot pirates. And again, they give their opinion...."one reason may be..." Just because they don't like the motorcycle gang look doesn't mean I don't have to either.

Then there's the line about one store that doesn't allow their employees to have visible piericings, as if that is enough of a reason to tell you that you shouldn't either. I remember when I questioned an elder on why beards aren't allowed. He admitted that there was no Biblical reason. He did justify it by saying that many companies have grooming policies and don't allow beards or long hair. So, is being a Christian a business that requires grooming policies? It doesn't make sense.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I was once told that beards weren't allowed because of Fidel Castro. As neutral christians we didn't want to affliliate ourselves with communism by imitating his style.

I [as a teenager] asked why we would wear suits and have short hair as it was a style used by American politicians... no answer, I was told to stop being smart.

There were several BOE that would have been shocked to see their golden boys, their precious mic handlers in their skivvies. I knew lots of young guys who got tats and piercings during their vacations on concealable locations.

• twinflame
    twinflame

Some victims of child abuse have seen it as a means of claiming control of their bodies.

This definitely shows it should be okay for witnesses, right?

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Despite their popularity among celebrities, body piercings and earrings for men have thus far failed to gain general acceptance in the West. One reason may be that these have long been the hallmark of prison inmates, motorcycle gangs, punk rockers, and members of the homosexual sadomasochistic subculture. For many, body piercing has the connotation of deviance and rebellion. A number view it as shocking, repugnant. Says a Christian girl named Ashley:

As you can see from the publications this is clearly a matter of "personal choice" as are many things for JW's.

And what's with this...homosexual sadomasochistic subculture...They can't just Gay bash they have to twist the knife a little bit more.

In the local hall one young woman was told to get rid of excess earrings.Her Daddy was a local elder as as she was still living at "home" She lost the rings but I know she wasn't too happy about it.

‘What kind of a reaction would such a decoration provoke in the area where I live? Would I be associated with certain fringe elements of society? Even if my conscience were to allow it, what effect would my piercing or tattoo have on others within the congregation? Would they view it as an evidence of "the spirit of the world"? Might it cast doubt on my "soundness of mind"?’—1 Corinthians 2:12; 10:29-32; Titus 2:12.

Yep...You would have to be nuts to do that...but it is up to your personal conscience....RIGHT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit