Good Comebacks - Any Help?

by atypical 30 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

How's that?

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

garybuss, you're making me laugh out loud. Although an emotocon would help to let me know if your serious or not.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Me serious?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Just don't be too conspicuously happy, if you don't want to arouse the suspicion of the elders.

*backroom elders meeting"

Elder Bob: "It was nice to see Brother atypical today, it's been, what, at least a month since the last time I saw him".

Elder Joe: "It was almost, well, a little bit strange the way he seemed so happy today. It really doesn't seem befitting for a brother who, by all outward appearances, seems to be struggling with the truth."

Elder Mike: "I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps we need to make a shepherding call on brother atypical, I get the feeling that maybe, just maybe, he might be in some real danger spiritually..."

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

LOL@garybuss!!!

If you get cornered just answer fine, fine, enough about me tell me..... keep turning back to them. Most people love to talk about themselves.

Carla, this is my best advice too. If someone is asking too many questions, start asking about them.

• "Wow your kids have grown 8 inches since I've seen them last! They're gonna be graduating high school and pioneering before you know it!"
    • "How are you and John doing? I heard he's been busy with work lately. I totally understand."
    • "Did you hear Emily Smith got a new job at such and such? Yeah, she seem's perfect for that job!"
    I say play on their humanity about how life is busy. I can guarantee you won't get a JW that does NOT understand that. Being vague can be a great tool, but asking about them is the hook to catching them without volunteering much. Good luck! Andi
  • Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

Whenever my folks ask me what I've been up to, it's code for, 'Are you studying the Bible with people who aren't JWs? 'Cause if so, we're gonna tell the elders and cut you off.' So I usually come up with something vague, uninteresting, brief but true, and then ask them about them. As was said, people love to talk about themselves - even family.

• Scully
    Scully
    "I haven't seen you in forever. What's going on with you?"

"What's going on with me? None of your damn business. Nice to see you too." (exit stage left) Always remember to wear that Kingdom Smileā„¢ when you say it.

or: "I'm sorry, I don't think we've met before. What did you say your name was? and why on earth do you ask such personal questions?"

or: "Hey, I haven't seen you since I took out that restraining order against you. I'd tell you what's going on with me, but it's classified information and it would put you in grave danger."

or: "Yeah, it's been a while. I've been so depressed that I just want to blow my brains out. I really need to unload all my negativity with a caring soul like you. Would you be available to chat over coffee after the meeting?" (snicker to yourself as they flee in terror)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

LMAO@Scully!!!!!

• Soledad
    Soledad

Thanks Scully for making me choke on my bread!

You've gotten good advice here. I would answer their questions with my own questions on an unrelated topic

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Yeah, it's been a while. I've been so depressed that I just want to blow my brains out. I really need to unload all my negativity with a caring soul like you.

Or a slight revision on Scully's theme:

"Yeah, it's been a while. I was so depressed that I just want to blow my brains out, but when I stopped going to meetings most of my anxiety went away. I haven't felt so good in years! So, how are you?"

AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit