Propagandistic? Us? Heavens, no!

by AlmostAtheist 11 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Dave,

I presented this info to my mother. She read the World Book article and the magazine articles from that Awake! and said, "I read that information and the encyclopedia does not say we are propagandizers. What we do is beneficial to people."

I asked, "Is smoking good for you?"

She admitted it wasn't.

I asked, "So are the anti-smoking campaigns an example of propaganda?"

"Well, yes. I suppose." (there was a picture of an anti-smoking add as an example in the encyclopedia article)

I asked, "So, is it the results or the method that the term propaganda describes?"

She didn't want to talk about it anymore. Of course she didn't. The answer to that question would mean she was calling the WTS liars when they said their work was not proagandistic. I felt sick.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

They changed the link to the article. It is the box on page 7 of the June 22, 2000 Awake! entitled "Is the Work of Jehovah's Witnesses Propagandistic?":

To my knowledge, JWs haven't EVER tried to defend this rank example of outright deception. Regardless of the arguable moral benefits of being a JW, the work they do is propagandistic. Even this ARTICLE is propaganda. The writers shifted the focus from the STYLE and METHODS to the potential moral benefits, and in so doing they knowingly perverted the entire thrust of the World Book article they cited.

They had to clip out the only portion of the entire article that might seem supportive, but they even had to edit the sentence in which that appeared since they do not have a democratic society. They also do not have a climate where ideas circulate freely, they accuse and disfellowship people for attempting to freely circulate ideas.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit