The EVERLASTING Lie

by thinker 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thinker
    thinker

The Watchtower promises the majority of JWs everlasting life on a paradise earth. This promise is based on the bible and their interpretation of it. All JWs I've talked with assume that "everlasting life" means living forever and the WT promotes this idea with phrases such as, "Millions ... will never die" and "live forever on a paradise earth" etc... But lets look at some other things which the bible says were (or will be) "everlasting". There's the Sabbath Law, the Aaronic priesthood, the Old Covenant, the New Covenant, and Jesus' 1000 year reign. All of these things which had (or will have) a beginning and an end are called "everlasting" in the bible. Clearly everlasting in the bible dosn't mean something will last forever.

I did some research to find out why this is so. Starting with Youngs Literal Translation we see that the word 'everlasting' is literally 'age-lasting' (or age-during). This means something that lasts for an age. The greek word which is translated in the NWT (and many others) as everlasting is aionios, it's hebrew equivalent is ohlam. Aionios is an adjective of the noun aion, an age. In the greek language an 'age' always refered to a period of time with a beginning and an end.

Here's some links to check out why aionios doesn't mean forever:

<http://www.tentmaker.org/books/Aion_lim.html>

<http://www.tentmaker.org/books/time/Time_12.html>

<http://www.tentmaker.org/books/time/Time_13.html>

<http://www.godstruthfortoday.org/Library/miscellaneous/allin.htm>

<http://www.heavendwellers.com/aion_and_aionios.html>

<http://www.saviour-of-all.org/aion.html>

<http://www.1john57.com/aionios.htm>

<http://www.word-gems.com/time.aionios.html>

<http://becomingone.org/nm/nm7.htm>

<http://www.zianet.com/maxey/reflx74.htm>

I also looked up aionios on the 1999 WT library CD. It is referenced a total of 5 times. Here's a few quotes:

" Both `oh·lam' (Heb.) and ai·on' (Gr.) relate basically to a period of time of indefinite length. (Ge 6:3; 17:13; Lu 1:70)"

w95 10/15

"El

Evangelio de Mateo notes: "Eternal life is definitive life; its opposite is definitive punishment. The Greek adjective aionios does not primarily denote duration, but quality. "

w85 1/15

Although the Hebrew word ‘oh·lam is rendered by some as "forever," according to Hebrew authority William Gesenius, it means "hidden time, i. e. obscure and long, of which the beginning or end is uncertain or indefinite."

These statements are true.

Here's an interesting question:

w80 7/1

"Questions from Readers

Why does the November 15, 1979, issue of The Watchtower (pages 26, 27) speak of the "new covenant" being near the end of its operation, when Hebrews 13:20 speaks of this covenant as being "an everlasting covenant"?"

This part of the answer is true:

"At Hebrews 13:20 the apostle Paul speaks of Jehovah resurrecting "the great shepherd of the sheep with the blood of an everlasting covenant [Greek, di·a·the'ke ai·o'ni·os], our Lord Jesus." The Emphatic Diaglott translates this as "the Blood of an aionian Covenant" (interlinear: "age-lasting"). This same Greek expression was used by the translators of the Septuagint Version in translating the Hebrew words berith' `oh·lam' at Exodus 31:16, with reference to the Sabbath law (part of the Law covenant) that came to an end, although many translations speak of this also as an "everlasting covenant." (Ex. 31:17, LXX; Col. 2:13-16) Similarly, the covenant with Aaron and his sons for an "everlasting [Hebrew, `oh·lam'; Greek, ai·o·ni'a] priesthood" (American Standard Version) was only "to time indefinite" (New World Translation).-Ex. 40:15; Num. 25:13; Heb. 7:11, 12."

But, the next line is just wishful thinking:

" The Hebrew word oh·lam' and the Greek equivalent ai·o'ni·os can mean forever in the sense that something never comes to an end or they can mean something that lasts into the indefinite future."

So where did the WT get the idea that an age can be endless? As shown in the Insight Book, this is just their own silly assumption:

it pg 57

The Greek "Aion." "Age" may also refer to a period of time in man’s history, whether having or not having datable bounds. It is frequently used to translate the Greek word ai·on' (plural, ai·o'nes) in some translations. Greek lexicographers show the word to mean "space of time clearly defined and marked out, epoch, age," and also "lifetime, life," or "age, generation." Since an epoch, or age, can begin and end or it can go on forever, it follows that ai·on' could refer to a period of time that is endless, though having a beginning.

But this assumption is refuted by their own research:

In the Christian Greek Scriptures, the word ai·on' may denote a time period of indefinite or indeterminate length, a period of remote, but not endless, time.

So how is it that JWs will enjoy everlasting life in paradise? This quote makes it clear that everlasting is just a relative phrase that doesn't really mean forever:

The benefits of that Kingdom by Christ will be "everlasting," though it actually will have been only "age-lasting," in one sense of the Greek word ai·o'ni·os used at 2 Peter 1:11. Relatively speaking, his reign of 1,000 years is eternal.

Questions From Readers

What is the difference between immortality and everlasting life?

Endless life will be enjoyed both by anointed ones receiving spirit life in heaven and by humans whom God declares righteous for life on the Paradise earth. So if you think about the outcome, immortality in heaven and everlasting life on earth result in basically the same thing-living forever.

Relatively speaking that is............

thinker

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Thanks for all that research. I think it's fantastic and a great tool against the flase teachings of the Borg. Better yet, some of it comes from their own pages...

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The big problem with JW doctrine is that nowhere does the Bible teach individual everlasting life on earth, period.

This being said, I think the concept of eternity (either in the common popular sense of "everlasting" or, more rarely, in the more philosophical acceptation of "timelessness") does emerge in Bible texts, and it can be carried by both Hebrew `olam (especially in Deutero-Isaiah) and Greek aiôn although those terms are also susceptible of other (and likely earlier) acceptations (far past or future, duration of the world, etc.). The adjective aiônios, in particular, hardly means anything else than "eternal"/"everlasting" -- as in zoè aiônios, "eternal/everlasting life".

Remember, too, that most explanations about "relative eternity" in the Bible actually stem, not from philological studies, but from the needs of Christian anti-Jewish apologetics. For instance, an "everlasting covenant" with the Levitical priesthood only needs to be toned down as "long-lasting" from the standpoint of Christian beliefs which imply that this covenant was not meant to be really everlasting. It's nothing but theology unwarrantedly seeping into the lexica.

• gumby
    gumby
    The big problem with JW doctrine is that nowhere does the Bible teach individual everlasting life on earth, period.

Nark........ya spiritual rusty bastard you......your forgettin stuff.

In Genesis 2: 9 God puts two trees in the middle of the garden. One tree is the Tree of Life and the other is the Tree of death if eaten from. The reading of these verses indicate to the reader that had Adam not eaten from the tree of death (knowledge of good and bad) and eaten from the Tree of Life......along with other fruitful trees........................he would not have died.

This is the only reference I can actually think of that indicates eternal life based on obeidience in the O.T.

Gumby.......* waits to get his ass kicked*

I'd like to commend and thank "thinker" for the effort in putting that information together as it was interesting and informative

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Gumby,

had Adam not eaten from the tree of death (knowledge of good and bad) and eaten from the Tree of Life

he would have been an everlasting idiot?

Whatever, the point is he did have it the other way around.

End of the story, we are what we are: homo sapiens sapiens ... et mortalis .

No promise here. *crosses fingers that Gumbmeister doesn't bring up Genesis 3:15*

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/100077/1723670/post.ashx#1723670

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Great nuggets of information there thinker. Thanks for the research!!

• Gill
    Gill

So....We're all DOOMED....DOOOOMMED, I Say!

Is that what you mean, Thinker!?

Thanks for the Information!

Interesting Post.

• thinker
    thinker

Hi Gumby,

In Genesis 2: 9 God puts two trees in the middle of the garden. One tree is the Tree of Life and the other is the Tree of death if eaten from. The reading of these verses indicate to the reader that had Adam not eaten from the tree of death (knowledge of good and bad) and eaten from the Tree of Life......along with other fruitful trees........................he would not have died. This is the only reference I can actually think of that indicates eternal life based on obeidience in the O.T.

According to the literal translation (YLT), eating from the tree of life would have allowed Adam & Eve to "live to an age", not forever. Notice also that God tells Adam why he will return to dust (Gen 3:19); namely because he was made from dust. So it seems Adam was destined to return to dust from the moment he was created from dust. The only question was how long his human life would be, an age or a shorter time period.

JWs also use Rev. 21:4 "and death will be no more" indicating the end of death, but the K.I.T. shows the literal translation as "death will be not yet" which indicates a delay, not an elimination of death.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Hi Gill,

So....We're all DOOMED....DOOOOMMED, I Say!

Is that what you mean, Thinker!?

The WT likes to say that all the faithful will live forever, the anointed in heaven and the great crowd on earth. What effect would it have if the great crowd knew that life on earth was long, but not never-ending?

thinker

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I'm not so sure we should rule out the possibility of some natural means of making sure our telomeres stay long and healthy.

However, given the rate of deforestation vs. the rate of research on properties of plants in the rain forests and their required habitats, I think it is likely that if the tree of life exists it will become a part of some house, several books, and quite a lot of cocktail napkins before we find it.

Any discussion of the tree of life should also include the fact that many cultures have a legend of a tree of life. This doesn't bolster the factuality of the Genesis account, it weakens it considerably. Other tree of life myths have at least some heroes who find the tree, apparently Moses didn't know any of those guys or gals.

I have to laugh when people say the Bible is the oldest book because it goes all the way back to the creation of man. I could start a religion tomorrow that does that, it wouldn't grant me aged status.

AuldSoul

• TheListener
    TheListener

Hold everything!!!!

Are you evil apostates saying that there isn't going to be life everlasting on a paradise earth????????

You evil Bast@##$$ds!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit