When I was DF'd... briefly

by Cygnus 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

When generously given the opportunity to go before three men who, for the community of persons I grew up with and shared with, even owed my life to, would judge me as a wicked hater of righteousness, I got a word in, and maybe some day that word will be remembered, or could be of use to someone.

Many of you know my story. I'm not going into the whole thing here. I will say, I quit the JWs in 6/97 and the elders finally DF'd me in 4/00. Reason: Association with a disfellowshipped person.

I appealed to these mens' sense of reason, and seriously consider the implications of their actions. Well, we all know how that usually goes. So, with my DF'd friend waiting in the coat room, I asked to read a scripture, and read:

Rbi8 Proverbs 18:24 ***

There exist companions disposed to break one another to pieces, but there exists a friend sticking closer than a brother.

I said, "You men are my companions seeking to break me, but out there is my friend XXXXX who has stuck with me and has been more of a friend to me than any of you so-called 'brothers."

Life is so short. A good, quality life is so hard to come by. My heart breaks for those of you trampled upon by agents of the Watchtower.

• Andrea Wideman
    Andrea Wideman

The JW's like to tell who our friends are. I have a best friend who is a Baptist. In many ways she has been more loving to me than those who were my supposed bros ans sisters. She is a good association and it is the JW's who are the bad associations to have. It is wonderful that you stuck with your true friend.

• jen_h
    jen_h

I totally agree with you. They control lives. They just told my family to no longer speak with me because I'm DF'd. The sad thing is that my family is agreeing to this crap. Why can't they see they are brainwashed??

• Krisiva10
    Krisiva10

Jen H- They just don't know any better. They are uneducated and see nothing beyond the organization. They rely so heavily upon it that they are willing to do anything to keep it, even to ignore you. Which is sad. But know that deep down they probably don't want to do it but they are threatened with excommunication if they don't follow. Just leave them alone, they'll hopefully come around.

• atypical
    atypical

Cygnus, I'm sorry for what you went through, man. I have been in "trouble" for this subject myself, and I am sure it's what will ultimately get me df'd if nothing else. I have some good friends who are disfellowshipped, and I have tried to argue this subject many times with family and others. I have been told over and over that it is just an attempt to change a persons heart condition. I argue that it does nothing but bully someone into falling in line so they don't lose their family and friends.

Again, I am sorry, but applaud you for sticking by a true friend.

• Es
    Es

Good response im sure it didnt go down to well or they had there own interpretations

es

• Dansk
    Dansk

Cygnus,

out there is my friend XXXXX who has stuck with me and has been more of a friend to me than any of you so-called 'brothers."

Wonderfully stated and an echo from many here.

Over the years I gradually cut my friends off, viewing them as bad associations. One friend never gave up on me and continued to keep in touch. He was there for me when I left and he has kept in touch through my present illness. I am ashamed when I realise it was I who turned away from my friends and not them from me.

Sounds like you have a really good friend there. Hold on to him as he is precious. As it is, all the old "worldly" friends I walked away from gladly welcome me back every time I see them. Just shows who the true Christians are and who they have been all along.

Well done!

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit