Because They Treat People Like Sh*t!

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Good for you, Jeff! You're at least the second servant/brother who has had their eyes opened by this sort of cruelty-

- removing a brother after he has shown mercy to a df'd child. I tried to debate the issue with the C.O. and elder body

( when I was an elder) in regard to an MS who did this - but it was like I wasn't even in the room or hadn't said anything.

Not a single conscience moved, not a single heart opened - I'm glad to report that the congregation has now fallen on hard times

and pitiful attendance.

metatron

• outnfree
    outnfree

Oh, how very true that is! Lack of love is the straw that broke this camel's back. When I left a meeting with intransigent, unfeeling elders who would not show Christlike love to another family in need, I finally said to myself, "Christ would NOT have responded like that! -- I'm done!" And I exited very shortly thereafter.

Good for you, Jeff-AK! In your case, the love demonstrated by Christ prevailed.

out

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Thanx all for the pos comments. Although our daughter continues to battle with self worth - residual damage done by the organizational lack of love IMHO - she will survive and do well in life. And she will do it with her parents behind her all the way.

Years ago the witness organization treated the scripture about 'love of the greater number cooling off' as applying to Christendom. In recent years I have heard this quoted more and more by elders and other witnesses to defend the lack of love they can't help but see now.

I really think the lack of love is what turns most people to the point of investigation. Legalistic societies will mostly suffer loss of membership due to this awareness. I was bothered by some other things in my 32 years as a baptized witness, but lack of love is what made me finally wrap my head around the possibility that this organization might not be the 'Truth'.

I will incessantly thank God the Father that he let these people become Pharisee-like to the point it is today. I hate that so many are hurt by it of course, but I rejoice that many will get out of this hateful cult due to the lack of love. To that extent it is a good thing.

Jeff

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

For me the most disturbing thing is not just the mistreatment of people in the org but the coginitive dissonance that surrounds it. The abused person somehow manages to still believe that they're in the true religion! I have something to illustrate this well. When I disassociated 2 months ago, I sent emails to my closest friends outlining my decision and my reasons for so deciding. The following is the response I received from a dear friend who has been through more sh*t in the organization than most people I know of. My friend writes:
    "I have thought long and hard about what you have decided and have come to the conclusion that although the organization isn't perfect, I truly in my heart of hearts believe that it is sprit directed and I need to be a part of that. I have had my difficulties with the truth as you have had and I have been wronged by elders to the point of being effected mentally and emotionally, but when I look around me and see evidence of Jehovah's sprit with this organization, however imperfect, I can't deny it! I just love Jehovah and he's asked me to worship him thru this organization. As a result, I think it best for my spiritual welfare and peace of mind that I don't associate with you until such time as you come back. I'm really sorry if this hurts you but I must try to do things the right way, Jehovah's way!"
    Now, this is a friend who spent most of our friendship talking (often quite colorfully) about how the org had done her wrong. And justifiably so! She's been through hell. Yet it seems that on some level, she's not ready to let go of being abused. It's a strange addiction.
    tall penguin

• Quentin
    Quentin
    due to the lack of love

That is what drove me out and that was thirty years ago...seems it's wrose today than then, from what I read here...

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Now, this is a friend who spent most of our friendship talking (often quite colorfully) about how the org had done her wrong. And justifiably so! She's been through hell. Yet it seems that on some level, she's not ready to let go of being abused. It's a strange addiction.

It is a powerful concept - when one believes he has the 'truth', isn't it? I can remember feeling the same way for several decades.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit