Any one else deal with this?

by Momofmany 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

I used to have nightmares when I was a child, probably from WT pictures. I would dream the earth opened up and swallowed me, or giant waves came and overtook me. But I always assumed I'd make it, being a believer in Christ and all, I guess the truth of the scriptures leaked through. I certainly knew suicide was forbidden and possible unforgiveable. The full picture is what the scriptures say, "It is appointed once for a man to die, and then the judgement."

What angers me the most is, not only what the WT does to people, but that so many abandon God altogether because the WT has succeeded in making the WT and God one in the same to them. Not so!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Nothing to add to the conversation here, I was never a JW. I did have an overactive imagination though, and used to keep myself awake imaginging that a fire had started in the basement and I was the ONLY ONE AWAKE in the house to get us out alive....

Welcome to the AuldSoul and Sheepish! Here's my thread for newcomers:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/58215/1.ashx

• juni
    juni

And what does the scripture say? DEATH IS AN ENEMY, NOT A BLESSING. So if you get a "free ride" through Armageddon by dying before it happens then death is a blessing isn't it? Contrary to scripture. juni breeze~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS had a change of doctrine regarding when the sheep and the goats are separated. Supposedly now it starts when the GT starts, it is not going on now. So people who die now are assured of a resurrection (except for those nasty apostates). That was in 1997 I think.

It made me think that instead of preaching to people, that we could do more for them by killing them and assuring them a resurrection into the new system. I even joked about it a few times privately.

Instead of a Bible in your bookbag, you would carry a gun/silencer and ammunition. Instead of Bible studies counted, it would be people sent to Sheol. Pretty sick!

Blondie

• juni
    juni

TOWONDA BLONDIE! NOW THAT MAKES PERFECT SENSE. JUNI

• Sheepish
    Sheepish

Thanks for the welcome jgnat! I am brand new tonite. I haven't been a Jehovah's Witness for going on 25 years now,(was never disfellowshipped, I left) but my mom and older brother (an elder) are fully entrenched. My older sister is on the edge, but is afraid to talk about it, and my little sister isn't one, but will defend it. So I am always praying and looking for insights to connect with them. I look forward to learning a lot, and meeting new folks. Also in the back of my mind I hope to meet some old friends who also left many years ago.

• Gill
    Gill

Welcome Sheepish and Auldsoul!

Looking forward to hearing more from you both.

Blondie - Now that was an idea and a half. I'd never thought of saving the householders by killing them first! How come the WTBTS hasn't come up with that one. Very 'Jonestown' though, isn't it. Sort of makes you realise why so many who did comit suicide, (not the ones forced into it) actually did it. Wonder if the WTBTS will do the same when they're down to there last few thousand believers in time.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I did some reading of the c/d rom to see what they had actually said. In fact the writings were always a little fuzzy as to who would or would not get a res. But it was always maintained that the ignorant dead would return since they were in Sheol and only those specifically judged to be in Gehenna would not . [ I thought judging was to be future event ?? but no matter}

Certainly the common belief over here, as well as apparently in the US, was that those who die before the big A have a good chance of a come back. So when somebody famous died that was liked, eg John Lennon or Princess Di, the statement would be heard "At least they are in line for a resurrection, it will be different for them in the New World". The same was true of personal friends ..

In respect of the original post about considering the death of people to be preferred to slaughter by God with no hope? yes that is logical but not , I hope, an active consideration. certainly murder or even suicide would be considered as a sin that could debar you from a res. I guess those questioning boys had simply arrived at the conclusion that the belief did not make sense

Going a little off point, I did find this cheerful point on the c.d. Just to reassure ourselves as to how we are viewed by the Borg.

w82 4/1 p. 27 Survival or Destruction at the "Great Tribulation" ***
    Now, the Bible definitely shows that some end up in the symbolic Gehenna before the 1,000-year Judgment Day begins. Jesus told the unrepentant scribes and Pharisees that they and their Gentile proselytes were ‘subjects for Gehenna’ or, literally, ‘sons of Gehenna.’ (Matthew 23:15, 33-35; see also John 9:39-41; 15:22-24.) If even a proselyte of the Pharisees became a subject for Gehenna ‘twice as much so as themselves,’ how much more so Judas Iscariot, who made a heinous deal with them to betray God’s Son! Jesus implied this when he called Judas "the son of destruction." (John 17:12) Similarly, unrepentant apostates go, at death, not to Sheol, or Hades, but to Gehenna. (Hebrews 6:4-8; 2 Peter 2:1) The same is true of dedicated Christians who persist in willful sin or those who "shrink back." (Hebrews 10:26-31, 38, 39) These are merely examples to show that some, even in "this system of things," have committed the sin for which there is no forgiveness, not even in the system of things "to come." (Matthew 12:31, 32; compare 1 John 5:16.) They will, therefore, not be resurrected.
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Blues Brother, it seems that in the past few months, someone posted a more current article, here on JWD, that differed from the one you pasted above, on the subject of apostates and the resurrection. Or am I just having a Jr. Senior moment?

I also recall an article about suicide and resurrection in one of the magazines. It was pointed out that suicide is a murder. With a murder, the murderer is usually alive and can repent. But with suicide the person isn't alive, but might repent if resurrected or something along that line. The article pointed out that a lot of people who commit suicide suffer from major depression and that God would certainly take that into account. Do you recall that article?

• forsharry
    forsharry

I remember praying till tears streamed down my face for some of the worldly kids I wanted desperately to be friends with cause they were ::GASP:: actually nice people, to convert to being a jw so I wouldn't be so lonely...and then once I realized that to continue doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result was insanity I tried killing myself because I just didn't want to have to deal with A) being so lonely through life because the kids that were jws that i was ALLOWED to be friends with I wouldn't have poked with a flaming ten foot pole they were so evil and B) I reasoned that since death covered our sins that maybe Jehovah would overlook the fact that I committed suicide so that I could live in paradise on Earth. Now also bear in mind...this started popping into my head when I was in my early teens...we're talking 7th grade of school! What is wrong with this?! I tried to commit suicide for the first time when I was 13 years old. WTF?!

::reads above:: wow. that was messed up. and I'm sure some of you out there do understand what I'm saying with that. I haven't typed any of this for the poor me thing. This was what I thought, where my logic had gone while under jw control. Sincerely desperate thinking of a person who was terribly emotionally deprived.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit