JW's are they really a cult?

by Evanescence 46 Replies latest jw friends

• inquirer
    inquirer

@Evanescence,

That's a pretty loaded question! I think this website speaks for itself! lol

Christianity started off as a "cult" according to the opinion in various quarters, but then as time went by, it was proven it was a normal religion... a religion with substance... a relgion with a serious message. A religion that was contributed by many people, not just one person like the JW's, Mormons and other religions which I don't want to mentioned, because of that walking on egg shells ("political correctness.") :( The sound teachings it has, the honest it has in it, and it's improvement on it's savage nature (particularly in the torah) and bringing about a Messiah to "straighten things out," proves it's a normal book. [Mind you, there are many parts in the Hebrew Scriptures like Psalms and Proverbs which are not savage and which are just wisdom books...] But the people who make evil cults, you can tell them by their fruits can't you? When you step outside a church and have a look at what you left, you are glad that Christ is your mediator and not some priest or false prophet.

Some Churches may not be cults, but why does some man or woman tell you as a Christian (if you are one) what you should or shouldn't believe and then around in 80 years time (like with the "this generation" theory [1914]) and tell you "this generation" is an indefinite term?

A lot of us have to work 5 days a week and worry about all the boring necessities of life, it's a bit much we have to worry about if we are putting the smile on a priest or a prophet as well, when they are just imperfect people.

Recognize a cult when you see one, but always keep your thinking cap on when getting involved with religion! Don't just except something hook, line and sinker. Tell your children to tell their children's children to keep an open mind not just on religion but everything in life, of this world full of imperfect people.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Faith based belief systems fall mostly into 3 categories:

1."mainstream" mostly benevolent in my observation i.e. you go to services once a week socialize

2.the "sects" sort of on the fringes

3. the CULTS destructive, high demand,high control often apocalyptic

How are cults destructive? they destroy A). identity B). sanity C). bank account

The above is my opinion.What does the Bible (Jesus) say?Jesus tells us how to determine the malevolence/benevolence

Matthew 7:15-16 "be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep's clothing but inside they are ravenous wolves"by their FRUITS you will know them"

The fruitage of the Watchtower it is rotten to the core!

-------------------- Remember-You just can't fool all the people all the time,you can only fool all of the people some of the time,or some of the people all of the time.Danny Haszard Bangor Maine

• carla
    carla

Have you done research into cults, mind control, thought reform, brainwashing, etc.. and what is the difference between all of them? This is a large subject and requires your own research. Lacking that, how could you read this board or any exjw board and not come to the conclusion that it is one of the most insidious cults on the face of this planet?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Cult members often isolate themselves from friends, family, and even society in general. Is that the case with Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Errr let me think now...

They shun family and friends who dont or no longer believe what they do and they are prohibited from speaking with them on some occasions....very rarely do non JW family and friends have a great relationship/friendship with a JW family member or friend because they socially exclude themselves...JW children are prohibited from associating with classmates even in school events because because they are classed as worldly.... JW adolescents are taught not to seek higher education which academically excludes them. JW children are not allowed to attend school disco's or in the US, school proms because those going are not JW's.

If cults are about isolation and exclusion then JW's have a hard time NOT fitting that description in my view.

DB74

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

They are a Cult, there, I said it, that felt good, they are a Cult, they are a Cult, they are a Cult!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, now I feel better,

IC

• heathen
    heathen

Yah they claim not to have a clergy but from what I've read on the board they claim clergy status to avoid taxation .That's where the cult aspect of questioning authority comes in , no good dubby would demand to see proof of these types of things for fear of becoming outcast . They also appear to be cultish by recruiting younger and younger members , children that are not capable of resisting and making choices for themselves .They use them to sell magazines even in field service and put them in all sorts of precarious situations with strangers . The number one reason they are a cult is they have beliefs that are not in the bible or misinterpreted that only, some how when the "new light " shows them the "truth" on the issue, will be the only time it will change other than that church sanctions are put on members that challenge the current belief.

Pass me the KoolAid while I think of a response to this thread.

Sorry for the replication. My keyboard is demonized.

• heathen
    heathen

Yah the only thing left for them is to move to south america and open a cult compound . I hear there is an opening at the jim jones compound ..... LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit