Gilead Missionary Eulogizes JW Deputy Sheriff

by West70 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• West70
    West70

Just how "JW" was this Deputy Sheriff?

OBITUARY

KENNETH WILLIAMS

Kenneth Williams, of Big Stone Gap, passed away Thursday (June 16, 2005) at his residence, after a long illness.

Kenneth was a life-long resident of the area. He was of the Jehovah Witness faith. Kenneth was a deputy for the Wise County Sheriffs Dept. He was preceded in death by his parents, Curt and Ruby Williams.

Survivors include his wife, Letha Williams of the home; two sons, Marvin Lynn Williams, Deetsville, Ala. and Greg Williams, Georgia; two daughters, Katrina Campbell, Florida and Kentra Lee Carter, of the home; two brothers, Chester Williams and Ernie Williams, both of Kingsport, Tenn.; four sisters, Della, Rika, Evelyn Neeley, Denna and husbands and five grandchildren.

Funeral services were held Sunday, June 19 at Gilliam Funeral Home, Big Stone Gap, with Ray Schneider officiating.

Graveside services were held at Powell Valley Memorial Gardens, Big Stone Gap, Monday, June 20.

E-Mail condolences may be sent to [email protected]

Ray Schneider was the owner of R.J. Schneider Bookbinding, which is one of the JW businesses linked from most all JW websites. I say "was" because when I went to his website to email him about the JW status of "Deputy Williams", I discovered that Schneider has closed R.J. Schneider Bookbinding.

At any rate, this was an official JW funeral, because Schneider and wife are former Gilead Missionaries, who came back to the States to Special Pioneer after getting ill in Central America.

Schneider is originally from the Oxnard, California area. His step-father was a wealthy non-JW, who owned some radio stations in southern California.

Can't help but wonder if Schneider stopped bookbinding due to finally getting a mega inheritance, or for some other reason?

• tfsm
    tfsm

Maybe he was a deputy before he became involved with the witnesses. Carrying a gun was pretty verboten where I was from.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I think there was a current QfR on jobs with weapons. Just noticed en passant last week when I was at a JW relative.

• West70
    West70

I didn't realize that Jehovah's Witnesses who were employed as Police Officers were so common that the topic was no worth discussing.

Oh well, how about some juicy gossip about Gileadites Ray and Sherry Schneider.

To the best of my knowledge, Ray is in his late 50s and never has held a "regular job" since he started pioneering after High School. Bookbinding was just a hobby.

Anyone know what are Sherry's most noticable features?

What was the "real reason" they couldn't continue as missionaries? Why haven't they been promoted to the circuit or district work?

Anyone know if Ray's siblings are still Jdubs?

• West70
    West70

Come on now, the Schneiders are too well known all over the U.S. for noone here to know them. If nothing else, surely someone has had Ray bind together a NWT and Reasoning (Make Sure) book.

• West70
    West70

While I'm posting .... I still would like to know what happened to cause Ray Schneider to give up a hobby he has had for over 30 years.

• blondie
    blondie

There is a JW that binds books in my area, not Ray Schneider. There have been/are several JWs that have been in this business, many ex-Bethelites. So it is possible for people to have books bound without using his services.

As to the deputy JW, carrying a gun in your employment (unless it is in the military) resulted in the loss of privileges in the congregation, not DFing. So it is possible that he was still a JW but just wasn't allowed to carry mikes, read at the meetings, assist the MS, be an MS/elder. Where I work you can be a deputy sheriff and work in the jail and not be required/allowed to carry a gun thus keep your privileges.

Blondie

*** w83 7/15 p. 26 "Seek Peace and Pursue It" ***

During these "last days," many employees are expected to carry a firearm. Bank or security guards, watchmen and policemen may even be required to do so to hold employment. But what of the Christian, who is obligated to "provide for those who are his own"? (1 Timothy 5:8) His Bible-trained viewpoint would be different from that of worldly persons, who feel free to carry such weapons and to use them as they see fit in any dangerous situation that may arise. (Ephesians 5:15-17) He will want to avoid bloodguilt, having in mind Jehovah’s viewpoint on the sanctity of blood. (Genesis 9:6; Psalm 55:23) A mature Christian should try to find unarmed employment. Some Witnesses by talking with their employer have been successful in changing to a job that does not require carrying a weapon.

As the world becomes increasingly violent we can no longer regard as exemplary a brother who continues in armed employment. He could be allowed six months to make a change. If he does not make a change, he would not be in a position to hold special privileges of service and responsibility in the congregation.—1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:5, 6.

• West70
    West70

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit