Walking through the neighborhood - then and now

by alias 8 Replies latest jw friends

• alias
    alias

Not ringing a single bell

Isn't it awesome to take a stroll through the neighborhood with a friend or significant other. To gaze at the homes you pass and admire the flower gardens, manicured yards, a pop-up in the backyard. To understand the homes as private fortresses for others to retreat from the world. An oasis for their minds, troubles, and stress. To see people as neighbors and prospective friends.

...Instead of only seeing a house number to note on a small slip of paper. Of hearing the loud tone of a doorbell, hoping nobody answers. To fear the loud barking of a huge dog with bared teeth clawing at the front window? Feeling discouraged at another closed door disinterested in a religious message you're trying to "push" into their lives?

I love taking walks now. And I love meeting the people on my street without planning religious intervention. What an awesome way to see life.

alias

• luna2
    luna2

This has struck me too since I've pulled away from JW's. As a dub, neighborhoods, even my own, were "territories", little maps pasted on a card where I had to do work that I didn't enjoy and wasn't good at. People who lived in these "territories" were marks that I had the job of trying to interest in my whacko religion. It was hard to just see them as human beings and neighbors.

It's so much more pleasant these days to be able to take a relaxing walk, admire the flowers or the houses and smile at the people. What a relief to be able to see the world normally again.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's a more natural way of life when you know that you are not a cultic freak trying to bring your neighbours in an org that you know it's no good. That you are no longer the rep of a grossly unfair and unloving society. You are a normal person among other normal persons.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yes, when you walk by their houses now you ARE HAPPY they have various religions, beliefs, and appearances. Before they were "going to be destroyed" or "sheep to be saved"....nothing more, nothing less. Now you are carefree to walk past and simply wonder....hmmm....what a nice flower garden.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

Great thought,alias.How warped they are,how happy we are now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

• Ellie
    Ellie

Its nice too to be able to choose where and when to walk, no more rough council estates on a Friday night for me.

• alias
    alias

All of your comments are so validating.

It takes so much time to "undo" what I had no choice in until I became into my own. Residues remain, but I have the power to over-ride the patterns.

I have met so many amazing "people" just by opening my heart and putting religion aside.

Accepting others as they are, and them me. The clouds of a looming armageddon have dissipated.

Now I understand the householder's response when standing at his door when I was 14: "Your religion is nothing but gloom and doom."

Now when I knock on a door, it is to a friend's home. And I am welcomed. And they, in mine. Our differences are now a point of intrigue.

alias

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I just got in from a walk through the neighbourhood. So relaxing. And I could put my hands in my jacket pockets coz I wasn't holding onto any stupid bags.

• Purza
    Purza

I agree that walking through the neighborhood is much more enjoyable now. I had a flashback a couple of years ago when the city wanted to put a road through this one street in our neighborhood. We drafted a letter and went door to door asking people to sign in support of not putting the road through. I swear, my hands were sweating and I started to panic as we went from door to door.

The difference this time is that every single person was in agreement and they all signed the letter. Not one rejection. That was a very strange feeling.

Purza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit