Why does heartless god always choose 'continue?'

by bboyneko 6 Replies latest jw friends

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Video-Game Character Wondering Why Heartless God Always Chooses 'Continue'

ORANGEBURG, SC--Solid Snake, tactical-espionage expert and star of PlayStation's "Metal Gear Solid," questioned the nature of the universe Monday when, moments after his 11th death in two hours, a cruel God forced him to "Continue" his earthly toil and suffering.

"Is this all there is?" asked Snake, hiding in a storage locker while two masked guards searched for him in the hold of a cargo ship. "Is this why I was created? To suffer? Will I ever escape this endless loop of grueling labor followed by violent death?"

Snake was then discovered by the guards and cut down in a hail of gunfire.

Snake, who has been fatally shot 2,143 times in the past six months, said he does not know why God deems it necessary for him to endlessly repeat his mission, which involves sneaking aboard a hijacked military ship and discovering who stole the walking nuclear-equipped battle tank known as Metal Gear Ray.

"Why will the Lord not grant me my final rest?" asked a reincarnated Snake, crawling underneath a lifeboat on the ship's weather deck. "Certainly there must be a greater purpose for me than to kill dozens and eventually be killed myself."

Added Snake: "As Goethe said, 'Man must strive, and in striving he must err.'"

Pitching himself over the ship's railing to avoid a trio of patrol guards, Snake pondered the notion of self-determination, wondering aloud whether he had any control over his own destiny. Before he could draw any conclusions, however, he lost his grip, falling into the sea and drowning.

"The Koran asks, 'Shall not the Lord of all the Earth do right?'" said Snake, rematerializing under the lifeboat. "But scholars have often argued whether the question is an assertion of belief or a refutation of faith in absolute goodness on the part of the Creator. As for myself, all I know is, I'm tired of the constant pain, death, and destruction."

Snake was then shot in the head by an undetected guard, falling into a pool of his own blood before reappearing in the ship's afterdeck, where his mission began.

"I often wonder, as many video-game characters do, whether God forces me to Continue to punish me for my sins," Snake said. "After all, I've deserted the American military, killed hundreds of guards, and betrayed my would-be lover, Meryl Silverburgh, by submitting to torture in the alternate ending to the first installment of 'Metal Gear Solid.' But sometimes, like when I suicidally attack dozens of armed guards with only my bare hands, it seems that God is putting me through hell merely to amuse Himself. It just doesn't make sense."

According to Rev. Paul Flessing of Yale University's Divinity School, Snake's theosophical quandary is far from uncommon.

"We all wrestle with the Big Questions about the will of God and one's place in Creation," Flessing said. "But the important thing is to have faith and try to find meaning in one's life--or lives, as the case may be. We must remember the trials of Job, whose faith God continually tested. It seems Snake is going through something very much like that, with this constant pattern of 'Continues.' The purpose will become clear to him in the end."

Sidling along a companionway toward the ship's lounge, Snake considered his ultimate fate.

"What awaits me at the end of my lives' journeys?" Snake asked. "Is there a Paradise on the other side? Or will it all end in a full-motion video sequence that hints at a forthcoming sequel?"

The hallway then filled with nerve gas, fatally asphyxiating Snake.

God, also known as Orangeburg 11-year-old Brandon MacElwee, offered no comment on His greater plan for Snake, saying He was "too busy trying to get to the part with the knife-throwing Russian girl."

As originally posted on The Onion

• SlayerLayer
    SlayerLayer

Thanks bboy, for posting this. I too am a cruel god, forcing my characters to die about 30 times per day. As a god, I would like to convey to all video game characters out there, that you were created for my amusement. You are not being punished, I just enjoy watching characters die needlessly. For you see, I am much like the god of the real world.

SlayerLayer

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Ever made lara croft climb the tallest structure you could find and then do a majestic swan dive....right onto spikes or conrete? That was the best. I also liked having her swim underwater until she started convulsing and then floated to the top face down. Being god is cool!!

You ever played a british video game called Black and White? In that game you are god, and you are lord over a small village. You can pick up followers and heal them, or if you wish throw them a couple thousand feet into the ocean and see how many times they skip before sinking like a rock. The game is called black and white because you choose to be good or evil god by your actions. I personally chose evil. This one woman prayed for her sick brother to be returned to her because he had wandered off and become lost. So I squashed him under a rock, then showed her his broken body and she died of a heart attack, but not before calling me a cruel and evil god.

Then i destroyed her house and fed her sheep herd to my giant creature. (the game features your right hand assistant, a virtual pet who is quite cute. He can also be good or evil and he can be trained to do many wonderful things, I trained mine to set fire to rocks then throw them at villagers houses..he finds great amusement in this.)

Also my temple is cool, the more evil i become the more spikey and dark it looks, and my hand becomes red and veiny with sharp nails. To raise my evil allignment i routinley sacrifice children. A fun thing to do also is to pile up boulders and then pick up a villager and try to knock down the top boulder with his body.

My creature picks up and eats villagers whenever he is hungry. Being god is grand!

• josephus
    josephus

very funny

i was about to say it was worthy of the onion, but you beat me to the punch.

thanks again

josephus

• julien
    julien

In Black and White I especially like beating the shit out of the creature, the effects are great; like when you knock his feet out from under him it looks really realistic.

• logical
    logical

I cant find a playable demo of Black & White. Anyone got an (ahem) "demo" they can point me to?

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Hey logical black and white has excellent "demo" protection so that it's very hard to make a workable "demo" although I have succeeded by using a german program called clony. It detects what kind of "demo" protection the cd has and then sets your cd burner, I mean demo creator up so it will be able to make a copy. :)

It's only $30 here in the US for the game.
    -Dan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit