A jw snopes type web site?

by Check_Your_Premises 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Did anyone ever hear one about Gorbachev? I got told this one by a bloke called Andrew (elder I studied with at the time) at Beeston congregation in Nottingham. Apparently, Gorbachev (then prez. of USSR) called his religious leaders unto himself to explain the book of Revelation, but of course only a humble JW could explain, with the help of the Revelation book obviously.

Anyone else ever hear something like this?

ig.

• blondie
    blondie

If you have a WT-CD I suggest reading through some of the experiences in the index.

dx86-01 Field Ministry Experiences ***

angelic direction:

child keen to go to one more house: km 11/01 8; w95 10/15 12

desire to go to particular house: jv 550

interested persons found: w91 2/15 26-7

prayer to find interested person: jv 550-1

spiritist amazed by missionary’s visit: yb96 48

• Jourles
    Jourles

Maybe this is what dirtclod could be revived for....

• foreword
    foreword

Or the one where this prisoner was studying using morse code (on a pipe or something) and never met the witness studying with him...(btw..what was a witness doing in jail...anyway) and he was relating his experience at an assembly when the brother who had studied with him got up from the audience and ran to the stage...hugging and all....such happy moments...

The sister on a train trying to witness using the truth book, the man she was talking to got mad grabbed the book and threw it out the window, which landed at the feet of a man who later became a witness.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Those are great Fore, I read those and suddenly became convinced that it really is the truth.

• foreword
    foreword

It must be...it has to be...LOL

• M.J.
    M.J.

Actually a lot of the dub urban legends are on snopes.com.

Like the one announced at a recent assembly about the sister who slept with a random guy while on a trip. He left her with a gift with a note inside which said, "welcome to the world of AIDS"

• Flash
    Flash
    You know, I used to be afraid of cemeteries too, when I was a part of the world." Whereupon the "worldly" woman fainted unconscious to the ground.

LOL, that's funny!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Iggy - I heard that one too, so its got to be true!

I hated the ones that ended in death for disobedience. There was a little dub boy whose parents told him not to cross a certain road, and he did anyway, and he got run over and KILLED. Always used to support the scripture "Children be obedient to your parents". They loved the fact that the kid got killed.

I also hated those ' I left a tract up a donkeys arse and the vet became a dub' ones.

And finally I heard that these stories were made up and spread by brothers from bethel to see how far up country they would get. I think that was an urban myth, and that all the stories were TRUE.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    It had some urban legends, but others were more along the lines of "funny things that happened when I was a dub".

I thought so too. They are more letters of funny stories than lists of urban legends with research done to explain where the rumor came from, a la snopes.

I am willing to put them up on my site as long as people will help with the research. I only have so much time! Also I wouldn't want to do anything that would take away from Randy's site.

There was supposedly a picture of a giant tidal wave circulating among dubs, claiming a bro took a picture of it when the tsunami hit. Totally bogus pic. There must be some hefty Jackson stories circulating now. Surely there must have been a flutter after the WTS told people not to buy the Benson Kingdumb Melodies CD a few months ago. Those are the types of things we would need for a snopes-style list. We would need people with contacts "inside" to share newer stories. I don't have any contacts willing to share crazy rumors with me. Mine are wise to my skepticism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit