cruises

by pratt1 7 Replies latest jw friends

• pratt1
    pratt1

Has anyone gone on a cruise for vacation?

I am going to the Bahamas on Holland American, leaving from NY and since I've never gone before, I don't know what to expect.

What was your experience like?

• mysterio91
    mysterio91

I've been on two cruises. The one I just got back from was Carnival. I would not recommend Carnival. But as far as what to expect. One word. FOOD.

• Purza
    Purza

We took a Royal Caribbean cruise down to Mexico and I loved it!!!! I can't wait to go again. What did I like about it? The rest and relaxation. The food was wonderful and the entertainment was great too. I was told to make sure I tip our room steward really well. Don't know if it helped though -- I think he would have been great no matter what.

Have a wonderful time!

Purza

• upside/down
    upside/down

Once... Princess Cruises (big ass new ship), one week... to St Maartin, St.Thomas and Pricess Cay...

Pretty nice time.... but take your own booze (vodka in a water bottle) they RAPE you when you check out.

My tab was $1,600.00 at the end....

u/d

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy
    take your own booze (vodka in a water bottle) they RAPE you when you check out.

That sounds as bad as a baseball game: $5.50 for ONE beer, and $6.75 for the smallest mixed drinks you've ever seen in your life. The cups couldn't have held over four ounces. The next time we went, my brother and I smuggled in our own stuff.

Just one of the many benefits of wearing baggy pants with lots of pockets.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I've been on 2. Carnival seemed to be geared towards the non-stop drinking crowd. Not much else to do. That was a long time ago though.

Went on a Royal Caribbean cruise a few yrs ago and it was awesome in terms of food, luxury, and service. It was the opposite of Carnival in terms of partying--not much night life or singles on board. There were clubs but not many people in them. The ship was truly amazing--had a mall, rock climbing, ice rink, etc. It was like a small city.

Just be aware if you encounter any medical problems on board you are in the middle of the ocean with only a very few foreign-language-speaking health professionals to care for you. Not to discourage you--just pointing that out in case you have any serious medical problems--a lot of people don't think of it. I was one who didn't give a thought to it and had some trouble.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep FOOD, almost 24/7. Some ppl tend to get silly on cruises but I like them. Last one I took I was 7 months pregnant, which was cool except for the heat.

Josie

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

I've been on many cruises, with Carnival, with Royal Carribean and with Holland America. If you're looking for a peaceful atmosphere, the best food and the best service than Holland America is the line to use. The only drawback is if you're looking for an upbeat exciting week you're not going to get it on Holland America. The cruise line is mostly used by older 60, 70, and 80 year old crowds, probably because they would rather have better food and service than a party atmosphere. As far as tipping goes on Holland America they have what is called a "No tip required" policy. What this means is they don't add any money into your bill to tip your cabin steward, head waiter, busser and maitre' de(sp?). They ask that you tip them as you feel necessary. More than likely you'll be very impressed by the service they give you as we all were. Also if you can have a group of friends go with you on your cruise. This gives you people to hang out with and socialize with while you have "at sea" days, as well as people to hang with when you go on excursions. Personally my favorite cruise was Royal Carribean. They had good food and good service as well as a nightlife. But Holland's food and service were still better. I wouldn't go on a carnival cruise again. Bad service and bad food. Hopefully you like eating because somewhere on the boat food is being served 24 hours a day. And if you're a big drinker well they'll get their monies worth because that's how these boats make money, drinks are far from cheap. But cruises are probably one of my favorite types of vacations. Enjoy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit