WW II London bombing and JW's

by HappyDad 1 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I don't know what brought this old memory of field service to my mind just now. Maybe some of you Brits may have family who experienced this.

In the early 1970's, about a year or two after my baptism, my fs partner and I knocked at a door and an elderly lady with an English accent opened and started yelling at us like crazy. She told us that our religion was worthless. She said that when England was bombed, that everyone pitched in doing clean-up except the JW's. The JW's were trying to preach to her and others while they were digging out of the rubble.

When asked to do something worthwhile by helping them to clean-up, the JW response was something like....."this war isn't any of our doing, so why should we?"

There was really nothing we could say to her. I know we tried to use the bible to comfort her, but to her credit, she told us to bug off.

I have a feeling that this might have been a very first seed of doubtful thinking for me.

HappyDad

• jw
    jw

Perhaps she was just pointing out that Jw's should help others regardless of fault. And they did not get it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit