if ignorance is bliss, why are people afraid of the unknown?

by zen nudist 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

fear is anticipation of pain.... no one really fears death is by death they mean complete non-existance... there is no pain possible for those who dont exist...what they fear is the unkown life that may come after death in whatever form they may find themselves...they fear the possible painful hell of religion or the judgement of others who may be waiting for them, etc...

being ignorant is often not seen as our normal position.... we never really know what is around the next bend, but often we go through each day without thinking that at all... we have a plan, a goal and a dont see any apparent road blocks, so we feel confident and forget that this is all delusions based on experiences of the past which are hardly consistant predicators of the future.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

well put Mr. Nudist,

it's so true. the experience of pre-death itself can be very painful at times. like if one died in a car crash. but death itself, like you say, is just non-existence. nothing. even more unconscious than deep sleep. if anything, being alive and conscious could be said to be even more painful than non-existence. just going about conscious life.

i have heard it said, that it is the fear of the unknown that is painful. but like you say, every day we walk into the unknown, technically. it's ironic that the very belief systems we have as homo sapiens to buffer the "unknown" of death, are the very belief systems that cause even greater fear, and often even pain in their believers. they're also responsible for unnecessary death, sometimes (think suicide bombers and blood transfusion deniers).

i could be mistaken, but i believe it was Evilforce who, yesterday, said that JWs really do a horrible job of preparing their followers to come to terms with their own mortality. And this was by far the hardest thing that i had to deal with in my deconversion process. my mortality. if there is no pie in the sky when i die. no paradise. and it is very probable that there is absolutely nothing but non-existence, then that means that i am responsible for what i do with my life now, and responsible to protect my life now. it makes conscious existence in this cosmos many magnitude more precious than when i was a JW. and that was initially a very scary thought. why? because not being in delusion is scary at first. the universe is a big unwieldy place for a little human. the good news? as life makes more and more sense, and as mortality becomes more and more real, death becomes less and less scary.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

when I left JWs, I had no expectations other than my imment demise once I left this mortal coil.... rather than causing fear in me, that actually emboldened me to take some risks I had not dared before.... I made a pact with myself, that I would exit if things ever got to be unlivable by my own hand or the whims of fate... I had also come to see that freewill was a myth and determinism the likely rule of the day and so had a fatalist view of things...I would not need to worry any more because no matter what I did, that is what I was destined to do...

my motto-- Destiny is a bitch, but some of her puppies are cute.

and I lived that way for several years until I did past life regression and awakened the possibility that this life is not all there is and there may be something afterwards... but even there, I found no fear of the future, no fear of a vengeful god judging me after this life is over...and nothing to change my mind concerning freewill being a delusion of ignorance.

and while I have not found ignorance to be bliss, I have also not found it to be something to fear either....

my new motto---

every move is a gamble to some degree...and accepting the consequences of each move and learning what I can from them leaves no room for regrets.

• Spook
    Spook

Ignorance is bliss...only if you don't know that you're ignorant and are not present to the cost of ignorance. To fear the unknown is folly. Like the great philosopher Epicurus said: Why fear death while alive? You can never be dead while you're alive. Death is the one thing I can be sure that I'll never experience!

Many see that life is essentially emty and meaningless. The problem is that they then attribute meaning to that! Life is empty and meaningless and it's empty and meaningless that it's empty and meaningless. That leaves me with nothing. Nothing is the perfect place to create anything.

So into the sea of unkown I sail full out!

• Terry
    Terry

fear is anticipation of pain.... no one really fears death is by death they mean complete non-existance... there is no pain possible for those who dont exist...what they fear is the unkown life that may come after death in whatever form they may find themselves...they fear the possible painful hell of religion or the judgement of others who may be waiting for them, etc...

being ignorant is often not seen as our normal position.... we never really know what is around the next bend, but often we go through each day without thinking that at all... we have a plan, a goal and a dont see any apparent road blocks, so we feel confident and forget that this is all delusions based on experiences of the past which are hardly consistant predicators of the future.

I see it a bit differently.

Emotions come out of our scale of values.

Fear comes from our value placed on what we stand to LOSE in a given circumstance.

Loss of life is loss of everything we value. Hence, fear is the strongest emotion when the strongest threat is perceived (or imagined).

Our sense of well-being, on the other hand, has layers to it.

Our self-esteem comes from confidence that we are competent to meet life's challenges.

Ignorance is a two-edged sword, it would seem to me.

What we don't know(ignorance) can hurt us leaving a blank spot where fear would follow and action would reflexively remove us from danger.

Obversely, what we don't know (ignorance) can leave a blank spot where a golden opportunity may lie in our path and no reflex will carry us to the reward.

As far as RELIGIOUS FEARS are concerned, I feel this is much more complicated.

I think these fears ride piggy back on values we have already placed on things and they act as modifiers.

A tiny example. When I use to be alone in a dark place at night I'd have my natural sense of unknown danger heightened and overstimulated by the ___implanted___belief in demonic entities lurking about seeking to harm me. This demonic mental construct rode piggy back on the perfectly natural fear of the darkness and the unknown. The religiously implanted modifier gave an Identity (read: false identity) to the lurking unknown.

When I disposed of the false belief in the supernatural I immediately lost the fear of the dark and the piggy back fear of unseen forces (demonic or otherwise.)

It is an interesting subject, no doubt about it.

By the way, ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance is the most limiting of all states of being. It is a way of drowning our sense of awareness. While we may blank out dangers; we simultaneously erase the enormous potential for transcendance in life.

I think of the 10 year old Einstein who is silent and slow and a disappointment to his parents. Though Jewish, they place him in Catholic school. He quickly discerns from this religious enviornment that false answers connected to imaginary contexts have no place in his life in a real world. He turns his thinking outward and begins drinking in all the facts, data, awareness he can muster. His laser-like focus coupled with a heightened imagination eventually produce in him a mind capable of unpuzzling the hidden fundamentals of nature itself.

Terry

• zen nudist
    zen nudist
    Many see that life is essentially emty and meaningless

without the prospect of eternal life, prior to my JW exit, that is all it seemed to me as well....why bother, it all ends up in a big 0, meaningless and pointless.... but

after leaving JWs, I found life still meaningful but it took a while before I figured out why....

I discovered that I had been taught to see meaning as some objective measure that one would compare their life... and see how he measures up....

but I read this account of a world chess champ who beat out IBM's Deep blue chess program and remarked how hollow his victory felt, there was not one to beat, no one to gloat over, no one to realize the sting of loss, the computer did not care, it was all the same to it, win or lose, no difference.

and then it occurred to me that my caring was the true source of meaning for me..... there is no meaning of life, only meaning found by the living in what they care about.

or as Terry said, what they value and how strongly they value it.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    only meaning found by the living in what they care about.

definitely. nature has no personality. nature is neither cruel or kind. just indifferent.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Ignorance is supposedly bliss because you are unaware of anything bad.

Once the unknown is "known" you are no longer unaware. People don't want to know the unknown because it may reveal something to them that is unpleasant.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit