On Memorial Day in the US

by deddaisy 4 Replies latest jw friends

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

Raised in a family of JWs, I was taught that Memorial Day was a worldly celebration. And I believed that the WTS was right and all war was wrong. As I grow older, and watch those born in a carefree generation grow, I pause and wonder what would've been if all the eighteen year-olds in the 1940s would've been Jehovah's Witnesses. How many more lives would've the little man Hitler destroyed ? Would the world now be a better place ? How many copies of "Paradise Lost" would've been "placed" in the 1960s ? Would we all be in "Paradise?"

I've watched at gravesides as newly-disfellowshipped persons were lowered into the ground without a "brother" in sight. Perhaps this person had brutally murdered a stranger. Perhaps he had killed a child. His sin ? I don't know, perhaps he had smoked a cigarette or allowed his child to accept blood. How could he ? Certainly Jesus himself would not have forgived such a sin, how can we ?

To those that allow a corporation to dictate their hearts, those led astray are to be envied. If the annoucement is that you're disfellowshipped, who would stand by you ? They are your true family.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Surely Jesus could never be that small. It is a crime when the death of those who once were witnesses are not given any consideration. Their sins not being released by those within the walls of the Hall. It is a sad legacy of our unfortunate coupling to organized, dogmatic organized religion. Methodical, antiseptic, un-feeling, un-natural. We as witnesses, once upon a time, will never be able to let go and let God.

• avengers
    avengers

Hey Daisy. Good to see you.

Andy.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Very true.

How many Paradise books would have been placed? Hard to tell. The way the WTS went out of their way to kiss Hitler's behind, maybe he would have spared them....but then he wouldn't have liked the talk about theocracy.

Thank our lucky stars all those 18-yr-olds had the courage and patriotism to fight against Hitler. We owe them our lives.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

It seems that most JWs want to live in their own little world and simply let things happen.

Is that the way things are supposed to work? They will <i>always</i> be a part of the world, whether they like it or not. They take that passage too literally. Some members of my former Hall home-schooled their children so they wouldn't be swayed by "worldly" influences. It's ridiculous.

They don't mind basking in the freedom that so many Americans have lost their lives to retain, but they won't fight for it themselves. What's wrong with this picture?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit