Talmud versus WT statements, directives, rules

by Fatfreek 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Help me out here since I've been away a long time. It seems that the Society used to criticize some Jewish set of documents (was it the Talmud?) that were so laboriously complicated and voluminous, unlike the simple principles that true christians, JW's of course, were now under. Yet I know of no group of people that are more paralyzed by analysis than the JW's. One simple question at the Kingdom Hall and someone would ask, "What does the WT say?"

There are many definitions on the web for Talmud. Here is just one of them:

Compilation of the rabbinic tradition of the Jews with rabbinical elucidations, elaborations, and commentaries. It consists of two parts: the Mishnah, or text of the rabbinic tradition; and the Gemarah, the expansive elucidations and discussions of the apodictic Mishnah. The Talmud is the accepted authority for Orthodox Jews everywhere, and the subject of intensive study.
    motlc.wiesenthal.com/resources/books/genocide/glossary/glosdef.html

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

One big difference imo is that the Talmud contains discussion, debate, between the conflicting teachings of many rabbis (real or legendary) with no ultimate ruling by any central authority -- "and all are words of the living God". The WT literature, on the other hand, pretends to be univocal, i.e. to represent one voice, the voice of nobody in particular (at least since Rutherford's death), but the Organisation's, the Society's -- ultimately God's voice. Its contradictions are diachronical ("new light" / "old light"), not synchronical (you'll never hear a true discussion between two potentially acceptable viewpoints at the same time).

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Nark,

I always enjoy your posts because they are of substance. I know I'm going to learn something, like peeking into some encyclopedic reference.

Many folks here may also not realize your native language is French (or am I reading between the lines) and communicating with us on this forum is not within that mother tongue?

Your explanation of Talmud content is the first I've seen. Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit