Disfellowship and the Bible.

by homme perdu 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• homme perdu
    homme perdu

Ive read in a post that Paul changed his views(1Cor. 5:11-13). What verse is it?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

You might be thinking of 2 Corinthians 2, as the WT (among others) interprets this chapter as a sequel to 1 Corinthians 5. However there's no solid ground for this interpretation: 2 Cor 2 most probably refers to another situation, a personal offense against Paul (v. 5), triggering an intermediate "stern letter" (v. 3f) which resulted in a "punishment by the majority" (v. 6; note that this is far from the JW system) against the offender. There is not the least clue of a sexual "sin" in this chapter (contrary to 1 Corinthians 5).

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

As Narkissos has already said there is no reason to assume a connection between the two. In fact evidence suggests otherwise. In 2 Cor Paul is the one having been sinned against and he is the one who forgives him as an example to the rest. In 1 Cor the man who sinned was to be killed. ("delivered up to Satan for the destruction of the flesh". The 'spirit' to be 'saved' was apparently that of the congo not the man.)

It is true that he appears to have regretted having sent a now lost letter that must have been so defensive and harsh that he was questioning himself (2 Cor 7:8,9) but this does not seem to match the tone of 1 Cor. which is not as harsh as described. 2 Cor is a patchwork of materials that seem to have been forced into one book for the sake of cataloging. In fact the opening chapters appear to postdate the material later in the book. And so to assume that the opening of 2 Cor refers to 1 Cor is a mistake resulting from the compiler or 2 Cor and the order assigned the books centuries later.

• l3gi0n
    l3gi0n

Peacefllpeat, Narkissos, I could not disagree more.. it is true the 2 cor 2 did not mentions sexual sin, but if you are truly forgiving someone, do you need to mention there sin.. and keep bringing it up? The ideal that this applies to the account at 1 cor 5 is much more reasonable, then saying that it applies to a lost account in the bible, because it doesn?t fit into my beliefs. .

I think paul did recommend someone to be removed from the congregation.. there is no evidence what so ever that this man was to be put to death.. no where did it say that.. yes he was to be handed over to stain, I think that is to say he was cast out from gods people.. not that he must die..

And I think that paul realized , after the man repented, that to keep punishing his was more then a little wrong.. so he forgave the man, as an example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit